Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Was real excited to see "Sully" on DVD. Extremely disappointed... no custom guitars whatsoever.

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Thor: Ragnarok

I straight up loved What We Do In The Shadows, and Hunt For The Wilderpeople was my No.1 movie of 2016, so I was fully on board with Taika Waititi doing a Marvel movie, despite still feeling the undercurrent that his style seems to have no business in being in a Marvel movie. So all that said, I really enjoyed Thor Ragnarok.

Waititi really went to town here. The Marvel Thor mythos has always been preposterous. Waititi and co understand that, and have fully embraced it, thus making this one of the most visually vibrant and most faithful to Jack Kirby's artwork (says a lot considering Marvel's getting much better with the 2 Guardians movies and Doctor Strange). It's Kirby's comics come to life with some Flash Gordon and 80s anime thrown in for good measure. The score even goes for a full 80s vibe with analog synths doing the heavy lifting.

Everything that's been reported about this movie (more humour, 80 percent of the dialog being improvised) sounds like a recipe for disaster, but it works. The jokes feel a bit more natural than Guardians Vol 2, which felt overbearing at times. The cast is clearly having a ball, particularly the regulars breathing some fresh life to their characters, Jeff Goldblum is... well, Jeff Goldblum (awesome as usual) and Cate Blanchett is another fine example that Marvel are getting better with their villains (all 3 of their films this year have fine upper tier examples). She also needs to have black hair more often, because she looks straight up amazing. There's some oddball cameos that I completely did not see coming at all so that was a hillariously pleasant surprise.

Another fine addition to the MCU catalog, and clearly the most fun Thor movie by far.

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I heard the last third goes back into boring cookie-cutter Marvel territory, is that true?

4. Bloody_Inferno

If by cookie cutter meaning, good guys beat up the bad guys at the end, then yes, it's a usual superhero movie kind of third act. It does take a spin to make the final confrontation interesting (concept not uniquely thought as Ant Man or Doctor Strange, but still fine) and a fitting way to end the Thor arc.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

The Foreigner
    Jackie Chan was excellent in the film. Overall it's more about the politics/intrigue behind government/the IRA but the parts where Chan are involved are super entertaining. The fight scenes are well done though not as brutal as the Raid 2 or the Bourne films. It's really nice to see Chan do something more drama based and not slapstick humor based. It's worth a rental at minimum imo.

6. Bloody_Inferno

This is on my shortlist yet to see, and it was already recommended highly by a friend.

It's good to hear Jackie Chan doing more drama movies and less of anything with Brett Ratner. And he's shown some drama chops before. Crime Story was a great film completely different to everything Chan did at the time (Island Of Fire came out around that same time too, also more of a serious tone, but more of an all star cast than a Chan focused affair). Shinjuku Incident, was ok from what I remember. I'm not counting Heart Of A Dragon though (despite being a guilty pleasure). The tone of the movie was wonky at best, and schizophrenic at worst.

7. fps

fps Kit

Happy Death Day. Enjoyed. Really not that gory, actually the characters were good, script was sharp. It didn't justify its premise towards the end (the plot kinda hamstrung it a bit in the end) but I was entertained throughout and quite emotionally involved. Definitely more at the Buffy end of *horror* than I thought it would be. Likeable, surprisingly positive.

Much better shout than going to see what will, I'm sure, be a miserable rotfest in the latest Saw. Those films were never worth much, and from the 4th one on were worth considerably less than that.

8. KnightBrolaire

agreed, everything after the 4th saw is pretty crap, though some of the kills are good in them.

fps likes this.
  9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Metropolis (the 2001 Osamu Tezuka anime version in 2001, not the 1927 film). I tried watching it years ago and liked what I watched, but never finished it. Was at a friends house who had a copy and I got excited, and they just went "Here you go. Enjoy."

10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

You guys are giving it too much credit. After part 2, it sucked, but I did like part 5. I thought 3/4 were especially garbage.

11. Ralyks

I was really hoping they’d be done with the Saw franchise. The first is one of my favorite movies ever, the second was great, then it became the most extremes of hit and miss. By the fifth one I was basically seeing them in theaters out of obligation. Although the ending of the “final chapter” was at least satisfying enough. Any word on if Jigsaw is any good?

12. KnightBrolaire

it has a 36% on rotten tomatoes from critics but 92% with audiences. I'm sure it'll be good stupid fun.

13. Ralyks

Most I can ask for at this point.

14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Is audience score like cinemascore where almost EVERYTHING no matter how bad has an incredibly high one apart from challenging movies like say, Mother! or Solaris?

I watched all the Saw movies last year for some masochistic reason. IMO, III is the only good one in the entire series, it's the only one that's somewhat coherent and has a character arc and any emotion to it other than people screeching or drooling. I was amused by that one that was a scream of rage against the concept of private healthcare, too, just cause it was so unexpected and so furious. I will have to watch this one once it hits home video just for sake of completion :(

15. KnightBrolaire

audience score is generally a better metric imo than critic consensus. Lot more data to pull from and there's a lot of stuff critics like that the majority of moviegoers hate (killing them softly for example). Between metacritic and rotten tomatoes its pretty easy to get a feel of whether users/critic's opinions on a film are justified.

16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Halloween
    Halloween 2

17. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

This is great and all but how do they sound in your guitar?

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

Thor was awesome. Great action scenes, super funny (easily on par with the 1st guardians film imo) and it was just fun to watch. It drags a little bit in spots but overall I really liked it. Easily the best Thor movie to date and currently my favorite marvel movie. The banter was excellent, especially thor and korg's quips. The physical humor and callbacks are great too.

19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

watched the sound city doco on netflix. I thought it was good. made with love

20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

finally got around to watching Her . I liked it .I thought everyone was really good in it and some of the dialogue was painfully close to real world couple conversations ,made me wince a few times. the ending was a little unremarkable but suited the tone of the movie.