Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I figured as such, but then again, JJ Abrams isn't above pulling some dumb ass overcompensating garbage like this.

2. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

He's been pretty terrible in everything other than Almost Famous. I mean, he's been in some good movies (Big Love comes to mind) but he's most often the weakest link in them.

I really want to like him, if only because I loved Almost Famous so much, but he's been making it really difficult. ;)

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

You didn't like him in Watchmen?

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

What has he done like that?

I've seen the first and last of those, and many other thrillers (Vengeance trilogy, Hide and Seek, The Chaser, Memories of Murder, etc) and horror movies (Thirst, The Host, The Wailing, etc). I'm a pretty big fan of most of them, Train to Busan and Snowpiercer just were big letdowns. Especially since Snowpiercer was from the same director as one of my favorite movies of all time, Memories of Murder.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

It's not korean, but have you seen Dumplings? It's a pretty creepy horror film imo. Stoker is a pretty decent thriller too (from the director of Oldboy).

6. wankerness

Isn't dumplings the segment in 3 Extremes? I saw THAT, not sure if you're talking about something else.

And yeah, I liked Stoker.

7. KnightBrolaire

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472458/
    ^this film.

8. wankerness

Bizarre. Same cast, director, etc. Guess he just liked it so much he wanted to make it full length.

9. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Not especially, but there wasn't much of anything I found redeemable in that movie, except its source material. I guess I'm just not into Snyder's style. I dug 300 the first time I saw it, but the shine quickly wore off upon subsequent viewings. I haven't liked anything else he's directed and/or produced during the interim.

10. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

On the subject of Korean films, has anybody seen The Handmaiden yet? I just got a copy on Bluray a few weeks ago, but time has been rather scarce for me lately. It's Park Chan Wook's most recent movie (last year) that completely flew over my radar.

Basically that. An expansion with an alternate ending. I actually saw this first before the 3 Extremes, which at first confused me at the time.

11. KnightBrolaire

Black X-mas, Blood Creek and The Babysitter. Good fun horror movies. The practical effects are really good in Blood Creek. Babysitter and Black X-mas are actually pretty funny if you like stuff like Dead Alive/gory horror. There's one scene in Black X-mas where the killer uses a cookie cutter to take angel shaped chunks out of his victim and then bakes them/eats them.

12. Spaced Out Ace

Out of his mom. That parts even better.

The same mom he fucked earlier and had a goofy looking incest baby with.

13. KnightBrolaire

yup, except for the fact that she raped him. It's such a batshit movie. I love movies like that.

14. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Ghost Story.

Just beautiful.

steinmetzify likes this.
  15. Spaced Out Ace

What leads you to believe she "raped" him? He wasn't exactly trying to resist.

16. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Awesome flick for sure. Not for everyone though, would never recommend it to a stoner, that film would be forever long if I was high.

The Dark Tower, what a huge MESS.

17. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Yep.
    A lot are complaining about the pace but, those types of feelings need time, if you can't focus on a film for only two hours because you need to reply to people on the net, go get a shrink LOL
    With a fast pace those feelings would never feel real to the watcher plus if you never suffered any deep loss, of course the film will be boring to you at best.
    To me it's a masterpiece, extremely original in a decade when everything is a copy of a copy and the majority don't even have a message, they all just exist to make money.
    Kudos to any director/crew/studio whatever who puts out something like .

I started this one knowing nothing.
    In the middle I thought "Oh man, this is going to be a cliche party!".
    When finally it showed what was happening I thought "Fuck, this is THE cliche party!".
    But then it showed more and I thought "What?!That's cool!".
    Then................they showed even more and I thought 'Yeah, this is freakin' cool!".

I can give a tiny spoiler that I hope will make you guys curious about it, it seemed to me like it was a horny teenage vampire film but without a vampire...............WHAT?!

Go watch it, even if you don't like it'll still be a surprise ;)

18. wankerness

For those who don't have any idea what they're talking about, I'm pretty sure they're talking about the new movie "A Ghost Story," which is about Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara as a young married couple. He gets killed in a car accident, and wakes up as a ghost (he's got a sheet over him with the eyes cut out). He is stuck in the house and can only watch as life passes him by, except in moments of extreme emotion where he can affect objects. But, the vast majority of the movie is him just standing there and observing as things pass. It gets weird. It's a contemplative movie about impermanence instead of a horror movie and by far the scariest scene is where some Joss Whedon-ish d-bag goes into a long speech about exactly how pointless life is and how nothing we do matters because your relatives will die out eventually, a supervolcano will go off and probably wipe out the human race, the sun will die, the universe will contract etc. I'd recommend it, but don't expect to have a lot of fun and definitely don't be looking for a horror movie. It's kind of twee. There's an incredible single-take static-camera scene in which Rooney Mara, in despair, eats an entire pie while crying. It lasts minutes. I thought it was great, but when I read reviews after watching it, almost everyone complained about it. I guess I was primed for it after things like the sweeping scene in Twin Peaks Season 3.

Of course, I could be wrong and they could be talking about "Ghost Story," a gothic horror from 1981 with a group of old codgers reminiscing about their fatal run-in with Alice Krige early in their lives. It's decent and has great make-up effects.

19. KnightBrolaire

Fresh Meat. pretty damn funny horror comedy

20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

after not know what to watch me and the wife watched spider man homecoming on Saturday . didn't expect much going in and we both really liked it.

I'm not really a spider man fan in general , but it was by far the best of all the spider man reboots IMHO.