Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Battle Royale was also a good adaptation, among the few and far between. Perhaps all the manga adaptations I may be referring to all had anime incarnations, and I've been burnt by too many movie adaptations, all with lofty ambitions, but fall face first on execution. I don't mind when they take a few liberties, hell, the manga to anime transitions get plenty of liberties too (Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Bokurano Ours etc), but that's another story for the anime thread. Shinobi Heart Under Blade was altered from the Iga/Koga stories and the manga and anime that inspired them, but I really liked that as a standalone film. Ryuhei Kitamura took the Mamoru Oshii approach when making the Azumi movies and took a lot of the lightheartedness of the original manga and turned it into a dark tragic ninja movie, and I thought the result was for the better. And I'll always use the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy as the standard for this ilk as it successfully captures everything that made the source material special and translates it to live action intact.

I don't know, maybe I've seen too many terrible anime/manga live adaptations from both sides of the Pacific.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

I think Takashi Miike will do a good job directing it. He made 13 Assassins, Audition and Ichi the Killer, all of which are excellent gory films, so this will be right up his alley. I don't think they'll be able to cover too much of the manga's story though and I'm expecting there to be multiple parts like the Kenshin films.

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

That's kind of a technicality! I forgot that, even though I read the book (which is also worse than the movie).

4. KnightBrolaire

5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

YES! More sequels of remakes! I hope they do a prequel or two as well!

6. wankerness

More like the other half of an adaptation that sucks considerably less than the first one. (I think)

fps and KnightBrolaire like this.
  7. Bloody_Inferno

My money's on Miike too. Not only are those 3 movies good, but his previous anime/game adaptations have been solid (if not above average). Ryu Ga Gotoku (Yakuza) and Ace Attorney were fun for what they are. Funny enough Miike's also doing a JoJo's Bizzare Adventure live action film too. Ok, that, I'm interested in.

In other related news.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...kes-on-live-action-version-of-your-name-anime

I can only respond accordingly:

[​IMG]

8. wankerness

Gerald's Game is quite good. Watch it if you liked the book, or if you haven't read the book. I had vivid memories of being freaked out by the book, primarily by the "Space Cowboy," and thus ANY visualization of him was bound to let me down, but I don't think anyone without that problem will be disappointed.

9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

finally got around watching wonder woman with the wife

I really didn't think much of it .I was expecting allot more after reading some good things when it came out. not a bad as BvS or suicide squad, but not that much better

10. Bloody_Inferno

Bladrunner 2049

Well I needed an antidote to wash the terribly bland taste that the Ghost In The Shell movie left in my mouth earlier this year. This was what the doctor ordered. I was curious what Denis Vilanueve could do with a movie that really was just fine to stand and stay on it's own. But also what he, or anyone can do with a movie that's mostly told in ambiguity. The result takes a similar route to the original, but with some of the themes a little more on the nose. It is a sequel after all so all the callbacks, references and having Harrison Ford show up will be highly anticipated. Unavoidable 'sloppy seconds' pandemic, yeah, but still a solid movie. So, directors cut in a few years from now then?

11. KnightBrolaire

Kingsman Golden Circle was fun. A little haphazard tonally speaking (just like the first one) but still pretty damn entertaining, especially the final fight scene . The music choices were funny (there's a bagpipe version of country road by john denver and a country version of Word Up by Korn). It's a good stupid action movie (most of the time).

12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I just watched Kingsman Secret Service the other day for the first time and really enjoyed it. Just, a really fun spy movie - no more no less.

13. KnightBrolaire

you'll like the second one then, it's basically just a love letter to roger moore era james bond films with a lot of snark.

MFB likes this.
  14. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'll probably try and catch it for cheap this weekend. It's one of those films that I figured was chasing the current Bond/Bourne trend, so I just overlooked it for a while

15. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Finally finished Spectre recently, and got The Fountain and A Scanner Darkly cheap on Blu-ray. Next up, borrowed Metropolis (the anime) from a friend recently, that will likely be tonight after I catch up on South Park.

16. KnightBrolaire

I saw Bladerunner 2049 today and it was excellent. The cinematography, the lighting, and the composition are amazing. The color palette is essentially the same as the original and it still works so well. It's probably the only sequel besides Terminator 2 or Aliens that deserves to exist imo as it manages to actually expand the world a bit and bring something different to the table. Storywise it's a good solid sci-fi story with some great visual worldbuilding.

17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

18. wankerness

Blade Runner 2049 left me with more nitpicks than positive feelings for some reason. Like, how it really had to hammer home all the themes. Ex, hey, let's replay Bautista saying the line about miracles like FIVE TIMES so you're sure to get it!!!! The original most definitely did not hold your hand like that. Then again, this one's plot was FAR more coherent and directed, while the original's a bit patchy. You win some, you lose some. I just wish it hadn't had a few of those blatant "clues" like that.

I HATED the main henchman, like absolutely hated her. She looked like she belonged in the basement in NCIS. They should have gotten someone that can pull off glower. Like, frickin Gazelle from Kingsman was more convincingly badass, and that was a comedy and she was kind of supposed to be ridiculous. Maybe it was just the bangs driving me nuts, who knows. I thought the character was underdeveloped, too. Like, what was with the single tears in a few scenes? I got it in the introduction of Jared Leto scene, but then they never do anything with it! It seemed like they were setting up her being extremely masochistic and self-loathing or something, but
    if I remember right it never comes out again in any way.

For that matter, a lot of the characters were left really half-baked, like if I remember right we got TWO scenes with Jared Leto and about three with Mackenzie Davis. Harrison Ford is good. I liked Ryan Gosling throughout. Obviously the visuals are incredible. Though
    the climactic battle in the car with Gosling and henchman trying to drown each other looked uncharacteristically cheap and was also unpleasant and non-exciting, especially compared to the ridiculously tense final faceoff in the first movie.

My favorite scene in the movie BY FAR was the sex scene. It was weirdly touching and it was interesting visually. It was great. I really liked that whole relationship, even though again it felt a bit undercooked, especially with
    the way they undercut the whole thing after the fact with the big naked Joi ad-bot calling him Joe, too.

The funny thing is, overall I liked it! I need to watch it again. I don't think any of my problems will be wiped away, but knowing what minor disappointments exist might let me appreciate the rest of it better. I saw it in an ultrascreen with actual great picture and sound, so that definitely was an experience I am glad I paid for. It's gorgeous. I would have preferred they hire Vangelis to add some actual melody, as Hans Zimmer basically did a ton of his typical BWAP! BWAP! BWAP! scores, just with some occasional Blade Runner synth sounds over it, but oh well. It's not bad.

19. Gravy Train

Gravy Train Night Fiddler

Just bought the entire Friday the 13th collection and Nightmare on Elm Street collection (never seen any of the originals). Can’t wait!

20. Gravy Train

Gravy Train Night Fiddler

Triple post on accident, please excuse