Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

I wanted to like Neon Demon. I just think Refn can't write to save his life. He has a great eye for visuals but he should never be allowed to write his own stuff anymore.

Watched Pumpkinhead yesterday, it was ok. The kills were boring though I did like the creature design (stan winston did a great job). Lance Henriksen was great. It's one of those really mediocre horror movies that could actually benefit from a good reboot. On that note, fuck the leprechaun reboot, what a pile of garbage.
    Finally watched The Conjuring. I hate haunted house/ghost/demon horror movies since they're way overdone and usually full of shitty jump scares, but it was really well done. A good overwhelming feeling of dread, some legit creepy moments. I'm gonna watch Conjuring 2 next, then probably check out all the Child's Play films.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Writing isn't necessarily important. Some of the best horror movies of all time have absolute garbage scripts (The Shining, Suspiria). The Neon Demon succeeds in visuals, atmosphere, and especially sound/soundtrack. Not to mention audacity! Seeing that in the theater was so wonderful, I was delighted by the outrageous necrophilia scene and how most of the theater got progressively more uncomfortable and disgusted the longer it went on!

I've heard Mother is much the same way, I need to see it. Give me movies that take a chance any day, even if they end up being bad.

3. KnightBrolaire

Have you seen Martyrs or Frontieres or l'interieur (inside) or Raw? Those are movies that take big chances and actually do something worthwhile in the horror market imo. Raw is easily the best horror movie I've seen in years.

4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Ugh, fuck no.

Enough.
    Fucking.
    Retreads!

And I mean that for everything. Music, TV shows, movies of all types... enough alfuckingready!

Stop it! Retreads, remakes, "harkening back" redos, reimaginings, prequels, sequels... all of this shit needs to fucking die off and end up six feet deep already. If Hollywood is not only morally bankrupt, but creatively as well, then it needs to burn to the ground. [metaphorically, and I mean the studios, etc. not the town itself.]

5. KnightBrolaire

Apparently the new Halloween film is going to take place after the 1st halloween and retcon all the stuff that happened in the other films.

6. Spaced Out Ace

Oh fuck off. Not you, Hollywood.

Fuck John.
    Fuck Jamie.
    Fuck Halloween.

That series stopped having anything of worth after Part 4. MAYBE part 6 is we're talking the P-Cut.

Malek Akkad should be thrown in jail for the bullshit antics he's pulled with the Halloween series since his father has passed. His father LOVED the series like a child, and you can tell that from his comments about the films. I can just see it now. Malek managed to get John Carpenter to spend five minutes in his office and pitched to John: "Let's retcon the two retcons so we can retcon it later but not before a sequel to this retcon that pretends a previous sequel we didn't retcon prior doesn't exist so we can make some minute piece of the plot make some vaguest idea of the word "sense." Maybe we'll also throw a prequel in there somewhere as well."

All you need from the major franchises are thus:
    Nightmare 1-5
    Friday the 13th 1-6
    Halloween 1-4, maybe Part 6 P-cut
    Chucky 1-3 and Bride if you like horror comedy.

The rest? Take it to the fucking landfill with the Atari games.

7. Spaced Out Ace

Onto something a little more positive: Apparently, Moustapha Akkad was really worried about Halloween 4 becoming a bloodbath with little else to offer. He kept telling them, "okay, not too much blood." Then it comes time to do the driving scene where the redneck gets his throat ripped out, and from the way it's told, Moustapha was screaming "MORE BLOOD, MORE BLOOD!" :lol:

8. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

Finally watched Jason Becker:Not Dead Yet

Eye opener for sure, a friend of mine from High School worshipped Becker when we played in a band together. I've gotten into his music recently and after watching this documentary and seeing all the footage of him in his youth you can't help but feel devastated for him but also inspired by the pursuit to keep writing music after everything that happened.

10/10 if you feel like giving up music or quiting guitar this will definitely kick you in the rear and value being able to play.

watson503 likes this.
  9. wankerness

I saw Raw, and I've seen Martyrs a couple times (just rewatched it a month or two ago) and Inside a couple times (it's been a while there). I thought Raw had a good first half but devolved. It seemed like a messier, inferior version of Ginger Snaps, TBPH. I appreciate Martyrs a lot, but can't say that I ENJOY it. Inside's kind of fun. They're remaking it in English, which should make you happy :D I just saw an older movie called Trouble Every Day which is another clear precursor to Raw. I didn't like it much at all, but it has the actress who played "the woman" from Inside as a cannibal lady who's barely restrained, much like Raw. And, the grand guignol finale legitimately horrified me (and made me so mad it totally turned me on the movie). :p

Anyway, I don't think any are comparable to Neon Demon. They're all going for messiness. Martyrs has much loftier ambitions than the other two I saw. All three are much more plot-dependent than Neon Demon. Neon Demon is much like its title with crazy lighting and sound/music to match, with the gross stuff clearly meant to be somewhat funny. There's room for all!

I haven't seen Frontieres and don't really know much about it. I've seen the title thrown around a few times over the years, but that's about it.

RE: Halloween, I burned through the series a year or two ago. I actually LIKED Halloween 4 this time. I think 5, 6, and especially H20 are steaming piles of crap. Resurrection had been hyped up as terrible for so long that I kind of enjoyed it (even if it was clearly bad). I don't really like Zombie's remake, but his #2 is easily my favorite of all the Halloween movies apart from the original.

The only thing that could make me interested in this is if they dump the sister angle and erase ALL the sequels, like they've hinted at. That always seemed like a stupid twist in the original part 2. I liked the scariness of him just going after her cause she was in the wrong place at the wrong time, which is how it was in the original.

It's pretty funny to think that Michael Myers is now going to be well over 60 if this is a sequel with JLC playing the same character and they keep the baby sister angle, though. SCARY!!!! I hope he doesn't break his hip.

10. KnightBrolaire

Visually I loved Neon Demon but it's just not a good film imo.
    Frontieres and Haute Tension are definitely worth watching. Antibodies is another solid horror film. If you're in the mood for batshit crazy then Nekromantik or Funny Games (the original austrian version) do the trick. I don't know if you've seen We Are What We Are or Ravenous but both of those are pretty good cannibal films. Bone Tomahawk was pretty decent as well.
    I can definitely see the parallels between Ginger Snaps and Raw. I agree that Ginger Snaps handled the whole womanhood/puberty angle a lot better than Raw did. I hate that they're remaking Inside, they tried to remake Martyrs and it was terrible.

11. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Absolute best lines in Bat 21 between Glover and Hackman.

Glover: "We'll connect with you at Swanee".

Hackman: "F__k the Goddamn Swanee. Delay the strike!!!"

I kid you not, I get goose bumps every time I watch that scene. :bowdown:

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

RZH2 is among the worst of the series with 5 and H:R.

13. wankerness

That's a very common opinion, yes.

14. KnightBrolaire

Man I can't wait for this to come out:

One of my favorite mangas finally getting made into a film.

15. wankerness

Went to see It, it was sold out even at 10 PM, saw Mother! instead, thought it was a frickin masterpiece. I am glad for the sell-out, cause I was probably going to skip it and wait for video otherwise. I intentionally skipped all commentary as soon as the first review I saw opened with "it's best to go into this knowing as little as possible," so the whole time I kept trying to figure out what it was about and having to totally re-evaluate it as some other weird event happened that destroyed my existing interpretation. I was veering from everything from an apology for a relationship destroyed by the fame machine to some kind of personification of The Giving Tree. When it was over, I had to think about it for a couple hours and digest it, but man, it's so audacious and weird, and what I eventually settled on it being was a really beautiful religious movie instead of an "A Walk to Remember" or something.

My favorite part might have been the teenyboppers that were next to me. When it was over, one goes "What the hell was that?" Another goes "A REALLY SHITTY MOVIE" in a voice like he was furious he'd just watched it. Hooray! To their credit, none of them made a peep through the whole thing.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  16. MFB

MFB ExBendable

That's like when I saw the VVitch in theaters, and as we were walking out, I was speechless at what I just saw and figured everyone else was as well; but then two old hens in front of me were like, "That was ...really ...bad" and my heart just sank knowing these were the kind of people who saw it instead of those who'd actually appreciate it

17. wankerness

The incredibly wide release on this and advertising as a regular horror movie made it inevitable that normal people would be furious when they saw it. Maybe the studio was vainly trying to bring back the good ol' days when something like The Shining could be a box office success. More likely they just were idiots and thought J-LAW = $$$$ and tried to force it.

18. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

As much as I want this to be good, I'm going to stay true to my rule of every manga/anime to live action film will not be as good at best, and utterly terrible at worst. It's almost always the case, with extremely few exceptions (namely Rurouni Kenshin).

19. wankerness

I liked Battle Royale a LOT more than the manga, but I might be in a minority? The movie has some serious issues, but it still came off more interesting and less lascivious.

20. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Battle Royale started out as a book. They are both adaptations.