Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

What do you mean considering the budget? From what I read, it was $35m. That's a pretty big budget for a horror film.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The budget for actors in part 1 was obviously negligible compared to everything else (considering it has much more advanced effects than the likes of The Conjuring, and all the important roles were kids), and if the aforementioned Chris Pratt thing is correct, he got 12 million for frickin' "Passengers.' I'd assume he'd get less for this due to it not being a two person movie, but GOTG2 came out and Jurassic World 2 comes out soon, so his price tag is still rising.

Throw in 3-4 more "movie stars" for Bill, Ben (I would guess Chris Pratt would be Ben??), Beverly, Richie, maybe Eddie and the actors ALONE would probably cost more than the budget of the entire first movie. Jessica Chastain is a really seriously talented actress, but she also actually has qualms about salary gaps and has openly stated she won't take a part in anything where anyone with an equal part to her is making scads more than her, so I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they get some flavor-of-the-week guy like Chris Pratt since he'd (rightly) just boost everyone ELSE'S expectations.

I am wondering if they're going to go all-out CGI turtle wtf in the style of Dr Strange, too. I hope not, I think that stuff was about the weakest part of the book.

3. Spaced Out Ace

You're forgetting though that filming with kids can tend to be much more difficult, because of child labor laws. They can only work for so long, they likely have school work or studies to complete, etc. As for Chris Pratt being in the movie...

:barf:

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

the director made it sound like he's going to try and stay away from the cosmic/interdimensional bullshit and not delve too deep into that. All the crap with the space turtle doesn't need to be on screen imo.

5. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Last night I saw "Mother!", Aronofsky's latest crowd-pleasing romantic comedy.

Still trying to unpack WTF I saw.

6. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

John Wick Chapter 2

The first movie kicked all sorts of ass. This sequel doesn't bother to change the formula and delivered more ass kicking for the better (sans the slight sloppy seconds feel that you get with every sequel)... but who cares. It's John Wick.

This, tied with Logan Lucky is on my list of must watch list within the next few months.

7. KnightBrolaire

I don't know if I want to sit through the film, even though I'm a huge aronofsky fan.

8. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

If you like his work, I would recommend it. I'm aware that there's much hullabaloo over some parts at the end of the movie that could be classified as disturbing (visually and emotionally, equally, I'd say) but if you can deal with Requiem you can deal with this.

9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Pretty sure they said for Pt. 2 they're going to deal with some Maturin stuff and the Ritual of CHUD might even make its appearance since it wasn't in Pt. 1; basically, I'm looking at it with this one doing as well as it did, expectations for the sequel went up and now it'll probably get bogged down by Hollywood politics/pandering

10. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Just following up on Covenant and/or James Cameron; turns out he saw Covenant and expressed his thoughts:

"I thought that Alien: Covenant was a great ride. It was beautiful. I love Ridley’s films and I love his filmmaking, I love the beauty of the photography, I love the visceral sense that you’re there, that you’re present. It’s not a film that I would have made. I don’t like films where you invest in a character and they get destroyed at the end. I would not have made that film. I can’t comment on where Ridley is going with it but I think he is obviously trying to create a greater universe around it and more backstory with the Engineers and so on. I’ll show up for the next one, absolutely."

Which is pretty much where I'm at with it, and where I was with Prometheus: I love going along for the ride; I feel present in that World, because of the way Ridley Scott presents it, but now I'm feeling miffed because I was invested in the Shaw/Engineer story and it's borked, and I was starting to invest in Daniels, who we're basically promised will meed the same end as Shaw, so... Blargh. It's a weird mixture of awe, and disappointment.

11. wankerness

The Shaw thing pissed me off, but I was more pissed off by how bad everything between the two Fassbenders was.

James Cameron I believe tries to adhere to the law of Hollywood, aka he tries not to say anything bad in those kinds of public statements about films that he had any involvement with or involve anyone he might work with again. He said Terminator Genisys was really good (I think he used the words "renaissance" and "classic"!

12. fps

fps Kit

I hope IT finds more very talented relative unknowns for part 2 - more budget for all the other good stuff, and I won't be sucked out of the story by *names*.

13. Spaced Out Ace

Taxi Driver. Part of it anyways.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  14. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Mother!

Yeah, most people are going to straight up hate this movie. I didn't, not just because I like Darren Aronofski's work. Though I couldn't help but feel he was saying something more personal with Mother!, well, aside from trying to out Neon Demon, Neon Demon in the WTF factor. Still, it's finely filmed, well acted, auteur movie.

Also curious which anime inspired this. :lol: Kidding on that part of course...

15. KnightBrolaire

oh god, Neon Demon was so bad. I like Refn's work but that was even worse than Only God Forgives. Visually it was excellent and I loved the cinematography/lighting, but both of those movies were just god awful overall.

16. wankerness

I liked Neon Demon a lot. I HATED Only God Forgives.

17. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

This Is Spinal Tap... watched last night for the billionth time along with The Professional. Gary Oldman... just... damn.

Also watched The French Connection and Bullitt again recently... Gene Hackman & Steve McQueen... fuckin' bad-asses.

Rosal76 and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  18. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Although I haven't seen The French Connection all the way through, but hope to one day, I 100% agree that Hackman is freaking awesome!!!

How would you compare his acting skills in The French Connection to his characters he played in Bat 21 (1988) and The Package (1989)?

19. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

Shot Caller
    Pig Pen
    An American Terror
    Bad Frank

20. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

I think that Bat 21 was a damn good movie. Hackman is just top-notch in everything he's ever done ( at least what I've seen him in) but he was much more "raw" in The French Connection and that's something that I genuinely appreciate. It's hard to compare the two since he had gained so much more acting experience by the time that he did Bat 21 but regardless, he's always been very captivating in just about everything that I've seen him in. Also, I thought that Danny Glover was great in that film as well.

I thought that The Package was done very well and Hackman was convincing enough but none of it left any impact on me... not sure why.

Rosal76 likes this.