Motorcycle Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Riffer, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Yeah, those look hot! Go for it! :yesway:

2. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

It's been a while since I last posted in here, I've got a new bike.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 K9

[​IMG]

It has a few bits and pieces on it, including an Akrapovic single can exhaust system (including decat manifold), Power Comannder, some nice shorty levers, Goodridge braided brake hoses, black screen with a mild double bubble. With the exhaust and PC, it should be making a nice little bit of extra power, factory standard was 182.5bhp, so I expect mine will be about 190-191bhp. It certainly feels a bit livelier than the 2015 Fireblade I rode back to back with it. I don't really like shorty levers but these are nice ones, I could sell them and put the money towards a longer set of ASVs I suppose, we'll see. I suppose I only really use my index and middle finger off each hand for clutch / braking anyway.

I've not really tested it on a proper road yet, it's still cold here in the UK and as you can see from the picture the surfaces are covered in winter dust as my tyres are coated in it, suffice to say once mid-April comes around I'll be seeing what she can really do out on the twisty stuff. It should be an interesting experience, it's one of the last fully analogue superbikes, no TCS, no anti-wheelie, no ABS. She will wheelie on the throttle in the first few gears, I can confirm, which is a novel experience as most of my miles so far have been on a GSX-R600.

I test rode a few litre bikes last year, including an Aprilia RSV4 RF #99/500 (9/10), an MV Agusta F4 (10/10) and a Honda Fireblade (6/10), once I'd had a go on one I knew I had to have a litre bike, there really is no going back. Thankfully I'm lucky to live in an area where the performance can be used on these things, instead of settling for highway pulls.

3. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

That is sweet, man! Congrats!

4. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

5. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

6. The omnipotent one

The omnipotent one Casual

Hey everyone! I love seeing pictures of your bikes, and I'm happy to say that I'm going to learn to start riding next month. How much gear do you frequent fliers use on the daily?

7. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

For small commutes I always atleast wear kevlar padded jeans, a good thick jacket, gloves and helmet of course. Longer rides I have actual leathers, It's actually legal to ride in shorts, thongs and a singlet in australia, as long as you have a helmet, but you should never ever do that, no matter how hot it gets, just wear proper clothing.

8. shadscbr

shadscbr SS.org Regular

As we get into summer, make sure the gear you buy has good ventilation. I started riding with a typical leather jacket. When I got a real job I got a motorcycle specific jacket with zip open vents and extra padding, worth every dollar in the summer heat :)

Shad

9. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

It depends on the weather for me. In the spring and fall, if its pleasant, I might just have my hoodie over a long sleeve shirt. If its cool, i'll throw the leather on. If its cold, hat gloves and a few layers under my leather. I don't have a set of chaps of my own, but have used my dad's (benefit of being roughly the same height), and they come in handy to help block the wind.

In the summer, when its hot, im in shorts and t-shirts, or a tank top (i dont like to ride shirtless, doesn't feel right). Depending on where I'm coming from or going to, I will pack a hoodie and pair of jeans to change into for nightime. Just to help with the dampness. If its hot or humid at night, I might not worry about it. I always wear shoes. I never ride barefoot or with sandals or flip flops or anything like that.

I, 9 times out of 10, keep a pair of gloves and a hat in my saddle bags. I always keep an extra pair of sun glasses (this helps just in case you pop a woman on the back and she doesn't have sunglasses) and 2 pairs of clear glasses for night riding. I do a lot of riding at night, and it's better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them. I don't wear a helmet. I find them too limiting. It interferes with my peripheral vision, and muffles my hearing. I dont feel comfortable with them on. Some would say im an idiot, but not wearing one has saved my ass more times than not, because I was able to hear better.

10. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

11. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

12. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

Helmet, proper jacket, armoured kevlar jeans, motorcycle sneakers (Alpinestars make them) and proper gloves at the least.

https://rideapart.com/articles/why-wearing-jeans-on-a-motorcycle-is-a-really-bad-idea

I can't think of a trip I do on my bike where I don't exceed 35mph, this is the kind of injury you can be up against. Wear proper gear. I've got some photos of what happens to hands and feet when not riding in proper gloves and boots - I'd get banned if I posted them, but google "degloving injury" if you want to get an idea. I've known guys come off in cheap textiles that have burst seams / abraded through while sliding down the road - it's funny that they all gave up riding or wear proper, tough gear these days. I suppose getting grit scrubbed out of open road rash wounds isn't much fun!

These days I really only do fast riding on country roads, I never go out in anything less than a one-piece leather race suit, gauntlet gloves (with good ulna protectors!), race boots and back protector.

Back protectors are a funny one, as most bikers I know, at least the more casual ones, don't wear back protectors - ironic as most bikers will say that a life-changing spinal injury is their biggest fear when riding a bike. A back protector won't complete eliminate that risk, but it does lessen it. When I say "back protector", I mean a proper strapped-on item, not the crappy little foam slip that is included in a lot of sports jackets or suits - even good brands like Alpinestars and Spidi. Most of the serious fast riders I know wear them, when the general speeds on a day out are 80-150mph, I'd take all the protection I can get.

13. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

14. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

15. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

16. Aescyr

Aescyr SS.org Regular

Around town, gloves, boots, helmet, kevlar jeans, leather jacket in winter, armoured mesh in summer. Full leathers for highway stuff.

I can't stress enough to wear gear. Tore my knee open in the past even wearing decent pants. You may have seen photos around in the past. I can't post them here, it's pretty gorey. An Arai RX-Q saved my life last year. :agreed:

Apart from that, good luck and ride safe. :D

17. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I always used to be quite lazy with the gear. The only gear I wore everytime was my kevlar enforced jacket and gloves + helmet of course. Then I would just use my normal shoes and jeans. I found out the hard way why jeans aren't a good choice though:

I was riding at about 80-100 km/h (maybe 60mph) on a small road when I noticed a car coming through the next corner in the middle of the road or actually a bit on my side. So I had to go into the outside of the corner to avoid a head on collision, and at the end of the corner I thought "whew, that was close", but since it was a small road, it had some sand at the outside and my rear tire hit that...
    Basically all that was left of my jeans after that were the back pockets :lol: I was wearing some work boots, and the left one snapped in the middle and the visor of my helmet also broke (of course it wouldn't have been usable after the crash anyway). I broke my left wrist and my left foot (yep, the foot, not the whole leg luckily), and while I was rolling on the ground my left knee hit something that caused a fairly deep wound just under the kneecap.
    Then I was bed bound for the next month or so. Luckily I had pretty much the best insurance that's available, so I got my bike repaired and even got some money to cover the time when I was unable to work.
    The worst part of the whole thing was the knee - it was a deep hole, and it had to be operated several times to remove dead tissue and whatnot, and for almost two months I had to keep a sponge-like thing in there that would suck up all the moisture from it and allow it to heal. That had to be replaced twice a day, and in the beginning I had to go to the hospital everyday to have it done... Later on, once it had started healing, I could do it myself.

Now I can laugh about this stuff, but back when it happened I was downright suicidal. I remember the first day when I'd gotten out of the hospital, I was considering trying to drown myself in a bucket of water :D But luckily I was physically unable to try it. I also haven't been able to enjoy riding my bike since then. I'm not afraid of doing it, but I just can't enoy it the same way I did before :(

Anyways - Wear proper pants and other gear at all times, you never know when you'll come across some stupid asshole driving on the wrong side of the road or something else.

18. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Now, I tell ya, stop giving me those flashbacks! I can't afford a bike as of now ;)

And chics on bikes, whazat? pony tailed blonde, too much; you gotta love that knee..

19. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

20. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths