Mother bear kills cub and then itself

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DrakkarTyrannis, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Mother bear kills cub and then itself

The Chinese media has reported on an extraordinary account of a mother bear saving her cub from a life of torture by strangling it and then killing itself. The bears were kept in a farm located in a remote area in the North-West of China. The bears on the farm had their gall bladders milked daily for 'bear bile,' which is used as a remedy in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).

It was reported that the bears are kept in tiny cages known as 'crush cages', as the bears have no room to manoeuvre and are literally crushed.
    The bile is harvested by making a permanent hole or fistula in the bears' abdomen and gall bladder. As the hole is never closed, the animals are suspect to various infections and diseases including tumours, cancers and death from peritonitis. The bears are fitted with an iron vest, as they often try to kill themselves by hitting their stomach as they are unable to bear the pain.

A person who was on the farm in place of a friend witnessed the procedures and told Reminbao.com that they were inhumane. The witness also claimed that a mother bear broke out its cage when it heard its cub howl in fear before a worker punctured its stomach to milk the bile. The workers ran away in fear when they saw the mother bear rushing to its cub's side. Unable to free the cub from its restraints, the mother hugged the cub and eventually strangled it. It then dropped the cub and ran head-first into a wall, killing itself.

Many TCM practitioners have denounced the use of bear bile in their treatment as there are cheaper herbs and synthetics that can be used in its place.
    Bear bile is traditionally used to remove 'heat' from the body as well as treat high fever, liver ailments and sore eyes.

2. klutvott

klutvott SS.org Regular

Too bad the bear didn't kill them all while it was at it.

3. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Reading through that made my stomach turn... :(

4. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Chinese medicine is fucking retarded backwards shit.

5. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

Reminds me of my sister who has a hole to her stomach for food at night through a pump. Difference is it doesn't hurt her what so ever and isn't open but closed with some weird ass device, so I guess it's not quite the same :lol:

It really makes you suffer with the animals when you hear shit like this, especially the part about them trying to kill themselves so they have to wear iron vests... fuck man..

6. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

I secretly wish that bear would have learned to use tools and Mcgyver'd a fucking Gatling Gun and murdered everybody involved in that operation.

well...maybe not so secretly.

Dvaienat likes this.
  7. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

Stuff like this makes me wanna go there and hurt people. badly.

8. matt397

matt397 Tr00f

That was a tough read. I fucking hate people. Were a disgusting species.

9. emperor_black

emperor_black SS.org Regular

I'm holding back tears. Humans can be very cruel.

10. heavy7-665

heavy7-665 SS.org Regular

11. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

12. Michael T

Michael T Sea Turtles mate Contributor

What's that say about us as a species when even a bear knows what they were doing was wrong.

vampiregenocide likes this.
  13. simulclass83

simulclass83 Yes, pancakes.

Am I the only one that saw this pun?

14. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

Stop blaming humanity. Just because some retards in China are sucking bear bile from a bear's abdomen doesn't mean the rest of us are monsters.

In any case, this is sad.

Church2224 likes this.
  15. Razzy

Razzy [10]

I wanted to say something, but I figured I'd get flamed for it because of how sad this story is.

Good luck. :yesway:

:lol:

Also Adam. +1

16. AySay

AySay Banned

The people in China who still believe in this bullshit seriously need to get with the fucking times. It's disgusting. Their unreasonable demands lead to poaching of so many beautiful, and endangered animals. Tigers, Elephants, Bears, Rhinos...

The worst fucking part is that these "remedies" are so often used for "sexual help". Fucking pathetic...and mildly funny because of a certain stereotype...

We have enough tried and tested medicine as it is.
    :noplease:

17. Dvaienat

Dvaienat SS.org Regular

Disgusting case of animal cruelty, no wonder the bears kill themselves. The workers should kill themselves too. A disgrace to the human species, since not all of us are like that.

Am I the only one who thinks there should be international law (which all countries would have to abide to) regarding the treatment of animals? There is already an international human rights law I believe.

18. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Let's face it, humans are tearing this whole planet apart and killing each other in the name of money/power/religion. We have a lot of potential to do good things, but we're way off reaching that. There are good people out there, but there are also a lot more bad people and they tend to get their way because they're willing to d bad things for it.

I agree. I particularly think we need more laws governing international fishing and ocean harvesting. Problem is, you need to get a lot of countries to bad together to put this through, and then force those laws onto other countries who may not want them. That would cause a lot of political friction in a world already very divided.

19. Dvaienat

Dvaienat SS.org Regular

True, it is something which would be beneficial. I should imagine most western countries would be behind it, though countries in the east would most likely be resistant, which could lead to war or weaken relations between countries.

20. Zorkuus

Zorkuus SS.org Regular

What good would that do? There are plenty of countries who haven't even signed the universal declaration of human rights. Why would someone like that sign a declaration of animal rights? Not much of a solution if they can just choose to not agree with it and continue business as usual.

The article reminded me of that M. Night Shyamalan film where nature turned on man. Imagine if animals evolved just enough that they would revolt against humans en masse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.