Most "woody" sounding pickups?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Bobro, May 16, 2018.

1. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

Looking for the most "woody" sounding pickups for guitars and basses. If you don't know what I mean by that, I'd say there is tons of "wood" in the sound of Dominique LaPointe's bass sound, and you should check out his awesome bass play-through video on YouTube anyway, even if just to have your socks knocked off by what is probably the sickest shredding ever. Of course that is a fretless hand made bass, but I think that a fretted guitar can have plenty of wood in the sound, too.

2. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

I'm not sure if this is a real question or a plug for Mr. Lapointe :lol:

What I'm hearing in the vids I think you're referencing is a sound that's fairly dry, i.e. he is not using much if any signal processing, it's just the bass-->amp/cab-->mic, and not much else. A lot, I repeat, A LOT of what you're hearing is simply the dynamics of his playing. Of course he is superb.

I'll go out on a limb here and say you may find what you're looking for by researching lower output pickups. I'll use Dimarzio as my example because I have more experience with their whole line than the other big companies. For guitar check out the Air Classic, PAF 36th Anniversary, PAF Master, or the EJ series. For bass, I'd say the Area J or Will Power set would be the best bet. Bartolini also makes awesome low-output pickups for both guitar and bass.

Bobro likes this.