Moshing - Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by BenHughesDS, Mar 12, 2013.

1. hk_golgatha

hk_golgatha has two first names

I've played a few decent sized metal festivals here, like South By So What and Winter Jamboree (mind you, we are not a metalcore band - we play very periphery/deftones/machine head inspired metal with little to no screaming), and I personally don't have too large a polarized opinion about it. When we break into a faster song, I love playing off of the energy and movement as I like to interact with the audience. But, I don't particularly appreciate when guys just punch people for no reason in a clean section. So I guess I advocate for movement and interaction, not just mindless mma style stuff.
    If you wanna josh your friends around, sweet, but don't be that asshole who tries to kill someone appreciating the music.

2. Fromeasttowes

Fromeasttowes SS.org Regular

"every friday night its hardcore, good friends, good times. and every saturday night you know its hardcore, stage dives, high fives." - death threat

3. Eisenbass

Eisenbass SS.org Regular

Well...I've got my share of metal gigs, and I can assure, at least here in Brazil, most of them had mosh pits, some of them really huge, some of them not that much, and from what I can tell, people were always really nice, always helping the ones that fell and even apologising when someone got hurt.

Some years ago I played for a Sepultura/Kreator Cover band, and mosh pits were a constant in our shows. We didn't encourage it, but it just happened, so we agreed that before every show, we would advice the audience to lift the ones that fall, leave space for the others that didn't want to enter the pit and remove their spikes/watches/chains...and it always gave the best experience to everyone...in 12 years, never seen a fight in a metal concert when those precautions were taken.

And one of the best gigs I've attended to was the one that the singer of my band dived from stage and entered the mosh pit in the bridge/solo part from roots by sepultura...it was fkn awesome!

4. tommychains

tommychains That Guy

I've been in a few, the one that fucked me up was a wall of death at a slipknot concert. Somehow me, a 14 year old (this was a while ago) got paired against a 300 pound samoan. I never flew before, but yeah, I did.

On the other side of it, when I was with an old band, the pits one night got way too heavy, involving a lot of bystanders. I stopped playing and went into the pit and helped up a few people. We stopped the set and I yelled at every one and said

"This is fucking rediculous, I shouldn't have to tell you all this. If someone falls and you can get them up, DO IT. If I see someone on the floor and noone helping them up, we're stopping and you can forget about us playing here again."

That got the message through. I get that people want to get their energy out, but not everyone wants to flail around like a bat out of hell. If they aren't pitting, that's their choice. Respect it. :agreed:

5. Zei

Zei SS.org Regular

I personally like pitting. Though I hate hardcore dancing and most of the people that do it are dicks, in my opinion. I've been really hit once at a show and it was a local festival. Like Moths To Flames was playing and these dicks in the pit were hardcore dancing and he just back up into and elbowed me on both sides of my head knocking me flat on my ass. If I knew what had happened I woulda backed away, but he completely blindsided me while I was protecting my girlfriend... dicks like these keep me out of the pit.

Regular, metal mosh pits though - the push pits - I'm in all day. I've fallen many times and been picked up, I've picked up many people. A good pit... it just feels like brotherhood to me.

Being on stage I love to see a pit, whether hardcore or mosh. If someone gets really hurt, I would rather not, but the best show I ever played there were pits for the entire 45 minute set. It was magical :shred:

edit: Not a big fan of the band telling the crowd what to do, but crowd control is a big part of being a frontman! If the crowd's already going crazy, then little finger movements or what have you are awesome. The one time it was amazing was when I saw Veil of Maya at last years Summer Slaughter... the crowd was already going crazy, and the vocalist got everyone to do a wall of death. So awesome haha.

6. ConnorGilks

ConnorGilks Still can't play.

As die-hard metal fan who started out as a die-hard punk (and still am), no; I don't like moshing. I'm also a musician though, so that could be part of it. I could just be focused too much on every little thing musically happening that I don't want to dance and jump around. But either way, I find it disrespectful to the people who just wanna see the show and have a good time. If you wanna jump up and down, that's totally fine. If you wanna start a circle pit though, that's an entirely different story. Not everyone there is looking to get hurt and punch other people. The people who do are usually the minority.

I have nothing against the act itself, it's just that the vast majority of people at the shows aren't looking to be rowdy and get injured, they're here for the music, for band, and to have a good time. The two types of personalities don't mix well in a crowd.

7. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

Headbangers hangover.

But I used to mosh in my younger days, now I'm an old fart and for me its really all about enjoying the music. Don't get me wrong, I'll headbang and sing along to show the band I'm into it, but the pit days are behind me.

8. MikeDojcsak

MikeDojcsak SS.org Regular

Deftones was the best pit I've ever been in. I'm not a very big guy and lots of their fans were 6'+, 250lbs+ and were all cool with lifting me up and tossing me around like a cotton ball to the stage. So good.

9. Oxygen42

Oxygen42 Bedroom Shredder

I think that it's good as long as you're respectful of the other concert goers. Serious pits should just try to keep away from the front. The people who make their way to the very front of the crowd don't want to worry about some sweaty dude with dreadlocks punching them in the back of the head.

10. penningmic

penningmic SS.org Regular

Had a friend get his ankle broken from the 'hardcore' BS as well as another persons teeth knocked out..... NAY!

11. Seanthesheep

Seanthesheep SS.org Regular

I was just at orion festival like a week ago. the only band I moshed to was rise against and the pit there wasnt insane, yea people run into each other and push each other and all that, but Ive never seen people full out punching each other in pits, even at more metal acts.

and the only reason I moshed for Rise against and not anyone else is because they are one of my favourite bands :)

12. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

The last time I moshed, I lost my shoe in the pit and found it outside the venue later that evening :D
    Moshing is supposed to be fun, it's definitely not the same as fighting or anything, it's more like dancing really. But then every once in a while there's some über tr00 black metal dude moshing with huge spikes on his bracelet, that's not the way to go.
    Anyways, I encourage moshing, because it brings extra energy over to the stage as well, and as long as the crowd is having fun, why not? But please don't try to make people mosh if they don't want to, they'll just get really pissed of and start a fight or something.