Moshing - Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by BenHughesDS, Mar 12, 2013.

1. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

i was in a wall of death at an acacia strain show once, it was awesome.

saw gaza once, and this massive 400lb asshole was grabbing kids by their clothes and throwing them and punching them. i spent more time worrying about getting fucked by this fat guy than i was watching one of my favorite bands.

it can be aggravating.

2. tristanroyster

tristanroyster SS.org Regular

The only time I have ever really moved in a crowd was during Periphery's show.

3. GizmoGardens

GizmoGardens ECE/MetalHead

Moshing is to metal, what fighting is to hockey. Some people are for, some people are against, but there's just something gratifying about seeing some goon get decked.

I like to mosh on occasion as a spectator, I encourage it as a performer. The thing I hate the most is when a bystander takes a header... I don't think anyone should be forced to be a part of the pit. But, if you are a willing participant, you take your life in your own hands and I salute you for doing so. :hbang:

4. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

It's great to see from the stage, that's for sure. I've never had anyone get hurt at a show I've played so that's a plus. The worst that's happened is a few years ago I jumped into the crowd and within seconds someone smashed my mic back into my mouth and I chipped a tooth. Nothing serious and it could have been worse had I not been anticipating it before it happened.

I never moshed too much, however in my late teens-mid twenties I'd generally be completely shitfaced by the last few songs at a show I was seeing and run into the pit. It's a blast going crazy with everyone for a few minutes. I couldn't imagine doing it for a whole show though.

5. Miijk

Miijk Walking E-string

I don't have anything against moshing if it the good old moshing when you are just having a good time and people help you if you fall etc.

Now... the so called hardcore-moshing on the other hand...

:lol:

6. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

^I am watching that video without sound. Then it looks like people with Down Syndrome doing ballet. :lol:

I'm not much of an active mosher myself, but when I play a gig with a hardcore or extreme metal band and there's no mosh pit, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. No matter if it looks weird, if people are expressing themselves using the music we're playing, that is a huge compliment for the band. People can come to me after a show and say it was great, and I appreciate that. But if they were in the pit, then it means so much more to me.

7. Kiwimetal101

Kiwimetal101 'Tread Lightly'

Put those kids in the slayer pit, then they'll know whats up :lol:
    Better yet, get a plane load over to wacken and stick em up the front.

Seriously, what the fuck is that?

"FUCK BRO THE BROOTZ, ASKING ALEXANDRIA IS THE BROOTS IM GONNA DO FUCKING BROOTZ CARTWHEEL AND HAVE AN IMAGINARY CAT FIGHT #yolo"

8. morzzzzz

morzzzzz SS.org Regular

If you know what sort of pits you can handle and are aware of the risk, the people in the crowd are cool, there to have a good time, and are willing to help in the event someone loses their property or hurts themselves, yeah moshing is a great almost brotherly experience. You will meet some of the coolest people in the crowd. I remember being punched in the face one time by a HUGE dude in a pit, but he immediately came to me apologized and made sure I was okay.

But as always there are people that ruin the fun for everyone by coming to shows to be destructive and hurt people. If you're one of those people, please stay out of the pit.

9. ghost_of_karelia

ghost_of_karelia Utrydd dei Svake

Do whatever the fuck makes you happy and naturally feels good regardless of what concert you're at, just make sure not to ruin anyone else's day.

:hbang:

10. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

the sad part is this is the most crowd response that act got.

11. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith SS.org Regular

Yay, but keep it clean and don't be a dick.

Its good energy for the band and overall crowd, and on a night when your into it they're fun as hell.

12. mcsalty

mcsalty Keepin' it Kodos

when i go see bands i'm almost always in the pit, excluding of course the throwing down/hardcore dancing/karate-moshing/whatever thing because i'm just not into it. i love it when i'm on stage playing and i look up and see the pit going nuts. it's a great feeling to see the crowd responding positively... the bigger/crazier pit the better!

13. xDarkCrisisx

xDarkCrisisx SS.org Regular

I used to mosh a lot in High School, but now I sometimes like to relax more. My girlfriend usually get's me to mosh since I don't want her getting karate kicked by some asshole.

14. Curtis Bell

Curtis Bell SS.org Regular

Mosh all you want but if I see you wacking the hell out of each other, going over a barricade, stomping on others, I will stop the concert and make it clear that over moshing will not be tolerated. You got to control it, is what we all should do.

15. dcoughlin1

dcoughlin1 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

16. Jackson12s

Jackson12s Grammar Nazi

I remember going to see Lamb Of God, and Job For A Cowboy was opening, and the mosh pit started a few guys from me, I was praying to God (even though I'm an atheist) that it didn't spread to me 'cause I just wanted to listen to the music and get deaf from being a few feet from the speakers :D

EDIT: also the friend I was with was going crazy in the mosh pits and he kept asking me to come in and I was like no way

17. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Ok, I don't know if this fits the bill exactly, but I went to a house party last night and there was lots of heavy music and lots of people were ... 'dancing', in the front room. I didn't drink much at all, but today my whole body aches especially the muscles on the back of my neck. Is this what happens you mosh/windmill too much or is this what a hangover feels like?
    if this is the after effects of too much moshing, is it always like this the next day.

---edit---

17 year old that rarely drinks / goes to house parties / play or goes to gigs.

18. BenHughesDS

BenHughesDS Divine Solace

Well, some would argue that if your neck muscles don't ache after attending/playing a show, you weren't doing it right! :rocker:

19. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Good to know. It cleared up after 2/3 days :)

20. zakattak192

zakattak192 SS.org Regular

Just thought I'd leave this here.