Moshing - Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by BenHughesDS, Mar 12, 2013.

1. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I enjoy moshing, but I'm primarily there to see the band. I think moshing is fine when everyone there is having a good time, talking and laughing in between songs or whatever.

It's not cool when you have that one dude with no shirt on and the dead serious look in his eye that says "I'm here to let out the rage that has built up from the pain that is tormenting my soul"

There's always one serial killer eye guy that can ruin it by taking it too far....or those morons that swing their hands and feet. Seriously every person I've ever talked to hates those people, so the question is where do they come from?

Also, anyone else hate when your towards the front watching the band, and then all of a sudden that pressure you've felt on your back for the past 20 minutes is gone. Nothing worse than having to turn around to make sure you don't get cracked in the back of the head by a stray fist/head/fat guy with no shirt on.

2. Idontpersonally

Idontpersonally Banned

@ Ben For local shows personally I wouldn't. I feel like im to old for that and my take on larger crowds is a good one every once in a while but eventually those days are over.

@Protest I agree 100% look at guys that play in serial killer masks and all the serial killer themed album cover art and then 'my soul is tormenting'-like lyrics , one is going to slip through the cracks occasionally. For me It gets something out of my system then there's "that guy" who probably just never gets it out of his system and cant distinguish entertainment/reality. Comes from really good music.

3. DarkRain93

DarkRain93 Banned

I don't mind push moshing, just pushing each other and not getting too aggro. But definitely no hardcore dancing, its just violent retard skanking.

4. Idontpersonally

Idontpersonally Banned

*sigh* you just had to make me finally give in and google hardcore dancing. 1 min of my life i cant get back. Anyway this guys comes up with a good idea and breaks it down. Reminds me that everyone may have their own ideas and rules to what moshing actually is but it's not like people discuss it before a show:lol:

5. welsh_7stinger

welsh_7stinger 7=best number

When I've gone to gigs (mainly ones that do have this sort of thing going on). Certain bands I don't like moshes (etc, animals as leaders, meshuggah, btbam etc) but with other bands I will mosh to. I wouldn't encourage it nor tell people not to do it. People react at gigs in their own way. There is a etiquette in pits. If someone falls you pick em up, no objects (I've seen that actually happen before :( ). But there are people that do not follow these rules. Most of the time the crowd (sometimes the band) deals with it. By either calling the person out on it or simply ramming em (show no respect=get no respect). But I will add this I hate it when people start a mosh during a solo. I miss the days of air guitar during the solos :(

6. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

I like moshing but when people start needing pretty much a "bubble" around them so they can flail their arms and dance like a fucking stupid hyena, then it's annoying.

7. Fktpguitfiddle

Fktpguitfiddle SS.org Regular

i enjoy sitting back enjoying a cold brew watching h-core kids flailing their arms around slappin each other in the face... imo

8. MassNecrophagia

MassNecrophagia has no friends

Some guy was pretty close to karate moshing at the Nile show last night. People seem to go to these brutal death metal shows without knowing what moshing is, and that it's going to happen the second they start playing.

9. Fktpguitfiddle

Fktpguitfiddle SS.org Regular

"karate moshing" that term just made my night

10. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

I've never been into moshing, when I go to a concert I want to see the band play and enjoy the show, but that's just me. I've seen some pretty crazy pits, Slayer on the SoH tour was pretty intense but Metallica on the first leg of the AJFA tour ended-up having to pay damages to the Coliseum here in Houston - no one thought having folding metal chairs on the floor would be a problem, when they came out for their encore, people started piling all of the chairs up to where there was one huge pile of chairs near the middle and smaller ones spread-out with people dancing and moshing on top of the piles of chairs - we had lower-prom seats and were standing up there looking down like WTF??? It was like a riot down there. From the get-go though there was a lot of pent-up aggression due to HPD deciding it would be a good idea to pat-search everyone prior to entry, creating a huge amount of people pressed-up against each other waiting to get in while Queensryche had already taken the stage, eventually leading everyone to just say fuck it and rush the barricades.

11. XxStatiX

XxStatiX The Aura

NO to hardcore dancing/swimming lol

12. Cynic

Cynic Bored Stiff

I've seen more people get hurt push-moshing than throwing down, from my personal experience.

13. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I say bullshit...maybe in quantity, but not in severity.

14. Mr-Jemhead93

Mr-Jemhead93 I think I'm profound

I go to plenty of metal and hardcore shows and I say yay to pitting. I think when people are practicing proper pit etiquette it makes the show really great and memorable. I always try and help pick people up, block the pit so someone can tie their shoe, or hold onto any lost belongings like shoes or hats and try to find who they belong to either during or after the bands set. I personally only pit if I'm really into the song/band. For me it comes down to the type of band that's playing, bands performance, and how many times I've actually seen that band before. If the band is really technical and the musicianship is just over the top and there's a lot of cool stuff going on guitar wise ill push my way up front and just watch. If the band is full of energy and getting into the music and moving around a lot on stage it gets me in the music and I want to pit and ill stop every once in a while to observe the band again. I say if the band is just standing there being boring and head banging here and there go pit! What's the point of watching that? I say Succumb to your caveman genes and go ape shit! (Assuming the music is pittable) As for hardcore dancing i dont do it and I could careless what those guys do. Sometimes they actually impress me with some of the acrobatics they do lol. Learn how to deal with them is what I say if you see that there's someone hardcore dancing by you stick your hand out in a fist so when they get close they hit that and not your face or kick them away from you. I guarantee you're not the first person to do that to the person hardcore dancing near you.

Tl;dr I like moshing, hardcore dancing is meh

15. Mr-Jemhead93

Mr-Jemhead93 I think I'm profound

Swimming? Lol

16. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

I hate crowds, so the furthest I can get from the scene kids practicing their windmill kicks while still enjoying the show the better.

17. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

Moshing for me is a nay. I'm the grumpy arms-crossed dude who is slowly moving his head in the rythm of the music and who's looking disapprovingly at the hyperactive "mosh-or-die" movement in front of me.

18. tristanroyster

tristanroyster SS.org Regular

I was thinking this same thing!

19. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

LMAO "windmill kicks" :lol: Reminded me of this vid:

Rev.

20. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

Typical HxC kids. I tend to stay at least 5 meters away from them. Which is far enough to not get hit, but still close enough to burn a hole in their skulls of my disapproval.