Moshing - Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by BenHughesDS, Mar 12, 2013.

1. BenHughesDS

BenHughesDS Divine Solace

I've done a search on this and seen nothing, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed before.

To everyone in a band that performs live - what is your opinion on crowds moshing at gigs? Do you encourage it, or leave the audience to do what they will?

I personally don't encourage it, nor do I really get anything out of seeing a crowd moshing when I play live. The style of music I write, play, and listen to isn't really moshing music IMO - it's more the kind of thing you would go to see live for the sake of actually listening to the music in a more intimate/energetic scenario, rather than jumping around and crashing into one another. I'm also the kind of guy that stands in a calm spot at the venue, nodding along to the music if spectating.

On the other hand, I suspect the general consensus on here would probably be the complete opposite, so if anyone cares to share their opinion for or against it, I'd be interested to hear it :)

2. JLP2005

JLP2005 Chief Knuckledragger

For however 'fun' it might be do be a bit raucous and violent, terrible things have happened in mosh pits-- broken teeth, broken jaws, broken bones. I saw someone get trampled and hauled out on a stretcher at a Machine Head concert-- fucking dumb. It's the one thing about the metal subculture that I think is just plain retarded. Don't do it. Bang your head like a fucking epileptic and scream your ass off in rage, but don't hit another human being.

Then again, I'm a hippy metalhead.

3. BenHughesDS

I don't profess to understand the reasoning behind moshing, but I was under the impression that there was some sort of etiquette in place to stop people getting seriously hurt. Maybe that's just wishful thinking!

When I go to a concert (albeit mostly unsigned bands) I go to enjoy the energy and live interpretation of the music, not to get my ass handed to me :shrug:

4. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I think it looks a bit silly from an outside-looking-in perspective but if other folks enjoy it and its not affecting my own enjoyment, who am I to judge?

It appears there is an etiquette of sorts. Some simply choose to ignore it like anything else.

5. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

there is just as long as there isnt a bunch of tough guy assholes at the shows, if someone sees you fall you'll usually get picked right back up:yesway:

6. Idontpersonally

Idontpersonally Banned

lol @ hippie metal head. I consider myself one although I would encourage people to fight at my shows, I would encourage etiquette as well. It's a good feeling to get picked up off the ground. Almost better than sex imo. So, Yay.

7. Sinistro

Sinistro SS.org Regular

For me, I started moshing in 8th grade, and most of the shows I went to were medium sized hardcore bands and punk bands. For me moshing is pure adrenaline. I've been to countless shows and the only thing that has ever happened to me was getting my nose broken from a stray fist. The guy didn't even notice but would have been mortified if he knew he did it. It was just that type of show. I've never been to a show with moshing that guys weren't nice (that didn't get kicked out for being assholes.)

8. Konfyouzd

You *would* encourage fighting? That's... Lame.

I remember I went to see a show once and some moshing got out of hand and one guy got ROCKED for it... The band stopped playing and started encouraging them to keep fighting.

Ya know... Cuz that's what everyone else paid for... :rolleyes:

9. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

I'm too old and hurt too much beforehand to mosh anymore, but I dig seeing people killing each other while I play. Makes me feel good!

10. Tones

Tones Red paperclip trader

I love the feeling of playing on stage and there's a pit and mosh to our shit. Unreal feeling. Me personally I stay away from pits when I'm at shows, but i feel like it's part of the 'scene' now. If kids want to beat the crap out of themselves, so be it. I didn't say shit lol

11. BenHughesDS

Another thing to add, for us guys in bands that aren't past playing some shows where the "stage" area is the same level as the crowd, to me it lends an unwanted feeling of cautiousness. I've had the mic stand knocked over and hit me in the face in the middle of a vocal passage that took me completely by surprise, and I've not got the longest temper in the world when stuff like that happens! :rant2: Luckily I bring my own mic that has a foam guard on it, or else I may have lost some teeth!

12. goldsteinat0r

goldsteinat0r Zib Zob Zabbity

I have seen pits stopped because someone got hurt or dropped their cell phone/keys/whatever.

Nothing cooler than seeing a 6'-4" 300lb monster of a dude with a Cerberus tattoo on his back stop a pit and hold up a cell phone that happened to belong to my friend Ben at the time. :lol:

"Here you go bro. Ok everybody GO!"

So, if everyone is just in there to have a good time and you look out for each other (meaning you don't actively try to fuck people up like slam dancers do) I say go for it. Its fun as shit. Or maybe I just go to wussy shows. :lol:

My band encourages it, but nobody ever seems to do it. lol

13. Konfyouzd

Oh snap... I didn't realize we had a badass in the room... :lol:

14. Idontpersonally

Idontpersonally Banned

glad you think derailing is funny, you must be confused.

15. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Used to get involved when I was a lot younger, can't be arsed now. I don't mind as long as people aren't either drunken pricks or tough guys. They can fuck off.

[​IMG]

:idea:

16. Konfyouzd

Noobs are fun... :lol:

/Feeding troll (wouldn't want him to fill up in his first month here...)

17. BenHughesDS

18. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I loved seeing kids throw down when I played live. It just adds energy to the show imo.

Old people dont like it....but who cares.

19. BenHughesDS

According to Urban Dictionary, throwdown can mean two very different things. See points 2 and 6;

Urban Dictionary: throwdown

So with that in mind, I assume you mean the former.

P.S. Yes, I am 24 and I still had to look up the definition of "throwdown!" :fawk:

20. Konfyouzd

You live in Britain... We don't understand your slang either. :lol: