Mooer GE200....'Micro Helix'?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by steinmetzify, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, the Radar looks like a very cool product. Making me wonder if if some pedals and one of those would be better than the Axe-FX II in my situation.

2. shred-o-holic

shred-o-holic SS.org Regular

I just wasn't using the Kemper anymore as the center of my tone. My clean amp platform pedal board took over as my sound so owning a Kemper as a clean recording option made less sense. My Strymon Sunset OD is the center of my tone for high gain so I am hoping the Radar provides what I need as an extension to my pedal board tone into my DAW. I just need some good sounding IR's at this point with some eq and power amp sim options. The Radar fits the bill on paper. I own a Mooer trescab and it's OK but my Radial JDX Direct Drive blows it away thru studio monitors. So I'm not 100 percent sold on Mooer products as of yet....

3. rahnvu

rahnvu SS.org Regular

Is the Sunset OD a preamp pedal? Sorry for OT.

4. shred-o-holic

It's labelled as an OD but to me it's a two stage distortion pedal. But it's much more in my opinion. It doesn't have a ton of eq controls but it's loaded with a lot of tonal options that sound amazing. I love the thing I started using it into my Kemper and shutting off the amp section for recording/jamming. They don't call it a preamp but it's loaded with amazing feel and tone..

5. shred-o-holic

I ordered a Radar BTW lol..

6. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

This. It is basically just a new cheap floor pedal. It is pretty. It has all the all-in-one beginner unit boxes ticked. It includes IRs so it should sound better than previous units in cab simulation: for a cheap multifx. It's just the latest inexpensive MFX, each one takes a couple of small steps forward but it is still going to have a bunch of sound/tone compromises for it hitting the price point and having all these features.

Some folks are acting like it is a $1000+ unit for $300. Not happening. Those mini pedal demos and the Ola demo sound like a**. Ola can make a software plugin sound like a wall of Mesas. This sounded cr*p. Looks like an *awesome* option for a Newbie or home practice but hardly the type of unit people who hang out here on the regular and have a ton of gear should be going ape over. People just love cute cheap stuff as near as I can tell and listen with their eyes in the internet age.

Like @mnemonic said, this brand is hyped up right now.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  7. Soya

Soya Not a musician Contributor

Did you really censor the word crap?

Smoked Porter and goose_78 like this.
  8. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Like I posted before, the connections are the major thing that the unit is lacking. The two biggest reasons people are excited about the unit are (obviously) the IR loading feature and the other is based on the line of pre amp pedals that Mooer put out that really impressed a lot of people. Mooer has said that the models in the GE200 were made with the same tech they used to make the pre-amp pedals, so as such, why buy 5 or 6 pedals at $100 a piece when you can get more than a dozen for $300.

AMT has a pretty good reputation because of their Legend 2 line of pedals, so just imagine being able to get all of them in one unit for the price of 2. They are by no means 'top of the line' pedals but they sound pretty good for what they are. Same goes for the GE200, it may not be as good or as full-featured as a Helix or HD500 or whatever but it has the potential to sound a LOT better than other offerings from Boss, Zoom or whoever else at the same price point.

Smoked Porter likes this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Honestly the 5153 pedal I had sounded fantastic. It's just the preamp pedals have issues with volumes. VERY quiet compared to other preamps I've tried. If they rectified the issues, I would legit get this over a POD HD500 or any other budget deal. Will end up being a lot of pedal for the dough.

Spinedriver likes this.
  10. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

The hype is understandable with how well received their micro preamp pedals are, and it's always good for the consumers when more brands that actually make decent products get on the market. I'm just wondering if the GE200 uses the same cab impulses as the Radar and the same modeling tech as the micro preamp pedals, if it does then it'll be a killer unit for the price.

Smoked Porter and Spinedriver like this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

No clue if the IRs are the same as the Radar, but they said the modeling is the same as the preamps.

Honestly wasn't a fan of the stock IR on the preamp pedal, but with a 3rd party impulse it shined. It's why I'm excited for this one, because of the IR loader.

12. BMO

BMO Geetarist

Might snag one of these after I get my next guitar! They at least seem interesting enough for me to try out seeing as how all I own is a Peavey 6505+ for band situations and a JST plugin for the computer. Kinda seems like it’d work in a pinch for either if it lives up to the hype!

13. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Or save that money toward moving out.

14. shred-o-holic

Welp if it's anything like the Radar pedal watch out. Tried the Radar for about an hour last night. Love it!

lewis likes this.
  15. stringskippa

stringskippa SS.org Regular

220v or 110v? Or is the power adapter compatible with both? Thanks.

16. jarnozz

jarnozz Let´s Get Wasted!

doesn't matter, you can connect any regular 9V adapter with at least 600 or 700mA. Just check the polarity beforhand

17. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

I've tried the Koch Powertone preamp pedal (whatever number that is) and it is good, I use a GT-100 direct now because I'm usually running direct and I haven't had the budget to upgrade. The preamps in the GE200 are probably better than the GT, and the effects, at least the meat and potatoes ones I use are probably just as good, but I can't figure out how I would use it live. I usually run the GT in manual mode with channel switching and the ability to turn effects on and off, not sure how I would get through all the sounds I need with just up and down buttons. If it sounds great and had more footswitches and/or MIDI, it might be interesting.