Mooer GE200....'Micro Helix'?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by steinmetzify, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Well that's the thing, we now know it can get Ola's type of tone.

Am looking forward to a more in depth vid that'll hopefully showcase some more crunch/hi-gain tones.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  2. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

lol sounds like the Line 6 Floor Pod I had.

3. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Yes i saw his expression and i said the same thing to myself lol.

Elric and lewis like this.
  4. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Edit: double post
    Yes i saw his expression and i said the same thing to myself lol.

5. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

The "Ola" overdriven tones sounded like hot garbage, but the others weren't too shabby.

6. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

This looks pretty neat, but how likely is it that it would actually be an upgrade from a Digitech GSP1101? I'm almost tempted to get one for the expression pedal alone, I like having the integrated pedal because it's less clutter and less stuff to bring when you move it to different places.

7. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I have a GSP1101 and aside from it being a floor pedal & has a looper, I wouldn't sell it to get one. That being said, if mt GSP died, I'd say it'd probably be a toss up between getting one of these or an Ampli-FireBox rather than trying to track down another GSP.

8. BlueTrident

BlueTrident SS.org Regular

I'm really tempted by this unit but I'm gonna wait until there are comparison videos with the GE200 Vs the Atomic Amplifire, Helix, Headrush, Ax8, Kemper, AxeFX 2, etc...

Carl Kolchak and Spinedriver like this.
  9. Soya

Soya Not a musician Contributor

Yep, gotta make sure this $300 pedal can keep up with those affordable Kempers and axe fx's.

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

hahaha this!!

Im going to make a bold statement here but I believe it to be mostly true.

If anyone has a decent poweramp to run any modeller into (including a Kemper) you would get mostly identical results.
    I bet this Mooer unit would sound amazing being powered by a tube poweramp. So suddenly the "gap" between units and their prices becomes "mooet"

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Very true, even pod xt's sound cool into a tube poweramp and that tech has to be approaching 15 years or so.

Preamp modeling is here and has been for a long time, even a lot of analog solidstate preamps sound great, look at AMT and all those other preamp pedals.

The mooer mini preamps get great reviews, and this tech I assume is the same thing.

If anyone is going to make a low cost but great sounding modeller, it very well could be the Chinese. The guitar gear industry there has come a long way in the last several years. Not long ago all they did was lower quality rip offs of existing tech. A lot of Chinese companies are still doing that, but this is a bit different since from what I understand, they don't appear to be just ripping someone else's code.

Who knows, maybe in 5 years Mooer or some other Chinese company will make the best sounding modellers available

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I seriously need to try the X3/Podfarm stuff through a poweramp/real cab!!!.
    I never have and I imagine that Big Bottom would sound amazing through my V30/K100 4x12. Like you say, that stuff is old as heck now but would still slay through a real cab.

Old stuffs shortcomings was always the poweramp simulation and especially the cabinet sounds. If you take those two things out of the equation, you are left with great preamp stuff into real quality poweramp/real cabs which of course will sound great.

Im yet to try anything from Mooer but they look and sound great in all demos

mnemonic likes this.
  13. mnemonic

I have an old toneport with the whole pod farm thing and all models, and a lot of the models I didn't like back in the day through the cab sims sound pretty good into my Fryette 2/50/2 > Zilla 2x12. Big bottom is especially awesome.

I toyed around with buying an old XT or X3 on eBay just for fun, but after I tried the helix demo (L6 Badonk was basically a better Big Bottom), I think I'd rather just wait until the used price of the Helix LT floorboards drops a bit. I think if I can get one for £500 that would be fair.

lewis likes this.
  14. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Looks like a solid nicely built unit.

3rd party IR is worth it right there.

15. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

While the amp sims may be close in quality to the more expensive units, I wouldn't go so far as to say that this'll be a 'game changer' by any stretch of the imagination. For people that would like the sounds of a Kemper or Helix but can't afford them, this will definitely be a nice option. As for gigging, studio recording, etc... I don't think the higher end processors have much to worry about. For one, the GE200 only has 2 outputs. No XLR, no fx loop, no midi and who knows if there will even be any updates that will add extra amps & effects.
    I agree that for $300 U.S. it looks like it's going to be a pretty decent sounding unit but for people (like myself) who have a number of pedals that belong in an effects loop (like the loop of a GSP1101), they're pretty much useless with this. If I had nothing but an amp and one or two pedals, I'd easily pick this over anything from Zoom, Boss or Line6.

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

While this does look like a cool unit, I struggle understanding why people are going crazy over it vs. a $300 Digitech, Zoom, or Boss unit. The RP360, G3n, and GT-1 can do much of the same stuff, and have been around longer.

Elric and Spinedriver like this.
  17. mnemonic

The mini preamp pedals got hyped and people seemed to like them, and this is the new product from a now-hyped brand.

If someone was looking to buy three of the preamp pedals this I guess would be a good unit to consider, depending on their requirements.

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  18. moltenmetalburn

moltenmetalburn SS.org Regular

Exactly my situation. I had three micro and loved them. I use tube power amps. I Sold one micro off and preordered this. I

Held onto my favorite micros in case they are better somehow and also because they are great tiny backups.

No brainer for me.

19. jarnozz

jarnozz Let´s Get Wasted!

If I really dig it I will just make a dedicated tube power amp for i. Though I'm not ordering before hearing some other players play it.

lewis likes this.
  20. shred-o-holic

shred-o-holic SS.org Regular

Being an owner of an RP 360 and one of a Kemper (traded recently after 4 years) that the 360 has a lot to be desired of with their horrendous cab tones. I am very interested in the Radar coming out and hope it can be an economical yet decent sounding IR recording solution. That might be a lot to ask though at that price point. Ola's video of the GE 200 sounded "OK" to me. I was more impressed with the radar video. We'll see...

AkiraSpectrum likes this.