Mooer GE200....'Micro Helix'?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by steinmetzify, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

To be honest, if all you need is the 'stompbox' aspect of it (ie: no patches, expression pedal, etc..) I'd probably go with the Amplifire. Just check out some regular Amplifire demos, and you can expect the same results with the FireBox. Not to mention, it does have the same IR loading capabilities as the GE-200.

tuttermuts likes this.
  2. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Heyoh!
    I just got my ge200 and its nothing short of amazing! But the only problem i have is that i have to connect it to my interface with a 1/4 inch cable which seems to make a lot of noise... I thought of just selecting the ge200 as my audio driver in my daw to get rid of the noise indicated by the cable, but there doesnt seem to be an ASIO driver for the ge200 at the moment.

Does anybody know a solution to this?

Btw if i listen to the sounds with the headphones directly into the ge200 there is no noise at all...

Would a 1/4' to xlr adapter maybe help?

Thx a lot!

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Have you tried ASIO4ALL?

(For the record, this doesn't work for me with my interface, but it seems to work for a lot of people.)

ICSvortex likes this.
  4. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Hmm... Ill try it out today but those sorts of drivers and programs tend to be laggy as hell... But ill give it a shot. Thank you!

5. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Testing and experimenting the GE200 a bit for the last 2 weeks. Have 2 months for testing before I can send it back. It is a simple but effective unit with lots of goodies inside. The UI is very nice. The unit sits perfect on a table and the casing is brushed aluminium and even has a looper, drummachine/metronome and build in audio interface. Bought it for late night use with the headphone. Since last weekend after selecting some IR's (having OH/RWCelestions etc from my Snax era) I am beginning to like the sounds I am getting. Not like the real tube/cabinet stuff but enough for its purpose. For now it is to early for a decision or review but the unit has some real potential. Having a mac I was able to install the new firmware 1.20 and my 10 IR's with no problems. Mooer told me that after Chinese newyear the editor for the Mac is expected. Have to see if the unit stays that long ;-) BTW found a great and helpfull spanish MOOER GE200 site. Just use Google translate and be happy. https://www.guitarristas.info/foros/mooer-ge200-hilo/293132

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups

Has anyone actually compared this thing to the Helix just in terms of sound so far? Considering people were touting it as a "micro helix" around the release? For example, does it sound better than a POD HD? Because it's kind of in that price range, and I feel it would have to sound better than the POD to really be worth it.

7. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Not to make an advertisement but maybe this helps.

Curt likes this.
  8. Spinedriver

It's funny, usually when units like this come out there are a flood of people doing demos/reviews of it. This time, there is virtually nothing being said good or bad (aside from message boards). The demos that are up are from overseas, so I'm just wondering if a) reviewers in North America haven't had a chance to try it yet or b) they just see it as another 'mega-cheap' pedal and just aren't bothering because it's neither bad nor really good.

9. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Decided to sent it back. Invested enough time and did not get the warm juicy sounds I was looking for. Altough using my 10 fav IRs, the patches stay cold, harsh with to much mid freqs. Secondly there is no high cut to surgical reduce the high end fizz. The Mooer GE200 has some potential but needs some FW updates to get there. And here is one of the reasons to sent it back. I do not think Mooer will invest that much time and effort to achieve this in the next months. Maybe will order again if this happens but for now its over and out.

AkiraSpectrum, Spinedriver and Curt like this.
  10. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups

Thanks for your input hvdh. I have been looking at the unit myself, and frankly, I just want a hardware solution instead of running through Helix Native all the time, so I can go practice on my bed or couch instead of always at my computer. While I'm sure this would be fine for that, I want something that could also be gigworthy if I can find the rest of the people I would need for a band any time soon. I'm kind of going back and forth between the AX8 or the Helix LT right now, and while I am not totally disappointed with Helix Native, I just think that for the same price range, the fractal offers more of what I want, that being great amp tones and at least enough effects for my usual spacy cleans and delay laden leads. Not too bummed that I have to spend more, but the more I hear out of the Mooer, the more I just would rather not settle and get something I know I'll like.

11. Spinedriver

That's just it, it's a "budget" processor. They may do one or two updates but I wouldn't hold my breath for more. Zoom is the perfect example, the MS70 has been out for several years and so far, there's been 1 firmware update. When companies put out inexpensive gear like that, they don't usually spend a lot of extra money trying to extend the 'shelf life' of it. They just put money into making a new one that has more features.

12. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Have one on order, should be here early next week. Will post thoughts/reviews then.

Spinedriver likes this.
  13. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Lets hear your opinion! After some GE200 testing en returning now picking up an Zoom G3n for testing. Again only for headphone use ;-)

14. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

The Zoom G3n doesn't do the job either. So will be returned
    Back to Friedman BE-OD (Pre amp) into Zoom MS-50G (Fenderamp/Cabinet/PEQ), for now

Maybe the Torpedo Captor with the Mooer Radar will solve the headphone quest.
    Or the Torpedo Captor with the Line6 HX Effects

Decisions decisions decisions

15. Spinedriver

Yeah, if you want to use a Zoom/Boss/Digitech RP, you'll definitely need to get something like the Mooer Radar because the cab sims for headphones really don't cut it. I recently picked up a Boss GT-1 and it sounds quite decent when going though an IR loader (I'm using the cabs of a GSP1101). I've never tried this with a Zoom unit but I'd imagine the results would be about the same.

16. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Well, I spent two hours with it last night and streamed the majority of my time within an NZ Guitar Facebook Group (Chur Xsplit!) This was me mostly just going through the standard patches and getting comfortable with the PC editor.

The user interface on both the unit and the PC editor are VERY easy and clear. The screen and user experience on the unit is bright, colourful and very easy to manage. Most of your experience is using the dial to the right of the screen, which also has a push in on/off functionality to it.

SUPER easy to move things around, make selections, edit each pedal etc.

Loading IRs is insanely easy. Loaded an Ownhammer IR during the stream. You simply click the + next to a blank cab option, find the file and you're done.

Also, Mooer have hidden away artist profiles on their website. I found the Ola and Suffocation artist patches and loaded them up. Ola sounds....well....like all Ola patches to be honest. Love it or hate it, he knows how to dial in his signature tone on pretty much anything. The Suffocation patches are, well, if you love Suffucation you'll love the tone. Not my cup of tea but I don't play anything like Suffocation does.

They can both be found here - http://www.mooeraudio.com/?FirmwareUpdate.html

I'm currently downloading my FB Video live stream and will re-host on Youtube. It warned, it's 1hr 20 of me mucking about with pre-set patches and having a laugh with members of the NZ Guitar forums. I'll give you some specific sections to listen to if you are interested in specific things.

Overall, I'm really happy with this. Interface is super simple, it has the amount of detail I would want whilst retaining simplicity and straight forwardness. Most importantly, the 5150 tones are very good and I'm very happy with that + OH IR files.

I've owned a full Mooer mini pedal board, and a Hotone version in the past, so very comfortable with the Mooer effects range. You can't load multiple versions of each effects type i.e. one delay, one reverb, one OD etc BUT that doesn't effect me in the slightest. I had a pre and post amp delay on a previous patch but that was simply because I used scenes within one 'big' patch on the Axe FX live. I'll just switch to switching to seperate patches with this.

Can't really go wrong for price here really. Is it an Axe FX Killer? No, of course not. BUT if you're sick of saving for a helix or a 2nd hand Axe FX, this is a really well built and solid alternative at a lower price point.

I've got a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 on the way also. Next tests are using it with my peavey 2x12 classic cabinet.

Stream overview video coming....

AkiraSpectrum, lewis and Spinedriver like this.
  17. Spinedriver

I'd be interested in seeing how your tweaking turned out (not so much the pre-sets). The idea of it is pretty cool but the lack of an fx loop is kind of a deal breaker for me because I have some decent delay & reverb pedals and they would have to be in a loop.

18. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Here we go

Skip to 1hr 10 for a quick 2 min patch creation using the 5150 amp and a ownhammer IR loaded.

Yup funnily enough the straight forward outputs is why I went for this. I've been using a 5150 + Boss MS-3 with the four cable method and I'm sick of all the leads. Just having the one lead back to the poweramp is much cleaner for me. used to do that with HD500 and Matrix GT800FX and loved it.

19. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Also, it's TINY.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

coffeeflush likes this.
  20. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Thanks xCaptainx for the effort.

For a dynamic responsive sound patch you need to set the gain low (under 15/20). And indeed your 5150 patch sounds very good.

I read on the Spanish owner site that some prefer the first firmware because it is more juicy and warm.
    Did or could you try this?

I had to set (under the System Menu) the Input Level to -20dB to avoid digital clipping when playing clean. Guitar has a nail bomb.
    - Could you tell what your Input Level Setting is for a clean patch and what the corresponding pickup is?

As mentioned there is a chance I will order it again after the Software Editor for the Mac comes out.
    This is expected after the Chinese new year.

Agree that it is an interesting unit with a lot of potential.

Rock On!