Monitor size

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by METAL123, Aug 10, 2017.

1. METAL123

METAL123 SS.org Regular

My home studio is around 11 x 14ft. My monitors aren't right up against the wall but are kinda close. There is acoustic panels behind the monitors, and the monitors are sitting on foam pads.

The monitors will be on stands. I will be using them primarily for mixing and tracking metal music, and occasionally other genres and styles. I will also be using them for the occasional casual music listening.

I'm interested in upgrading my current monitors (M-Audio BX5) to something better. Right now I'm considering either the Yamaha HS5 or HS7 and am having trouble deciding.

Would the HS7 which are 6.5" monitors be okay for my room size?

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

IMO, room size doesn't factor in much with monitor size - yes, small rooms tend to have more problems with standing low end waves than larger ones, and that causes problems with low end reproduction in a mix... But, simply producing less low end to begin with isn't an answer, since in both cases you're left with the same problems - you can't accurately gauge the low end of your mixes.

Really, if they're in your budget, I'd look at the HS8s. I use a set of HS80Ms, the prior number series, in a room that probably isn't much different than yours, and they're great.

3. METAL123

METAL123 SS.org Regular

I've been doing some research on different monitors and sizing and some say sizing matters depending on your room, and some say it it doesn't.. Not really sure what to do.

Regarding monitors, I'm hearing relatively constant good review on the Yamaha H5, H7, and H8. As of now I'm leaning more towards the H7 but I'm still not sure.

4. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

+1 on the HS's. I have the hs5's and they're crystal clear. Relatively flat response makes for very accurate mixes. I have mine set with high trim at -2 and they are perfect. That of course will vary depending on placement, treatment, and your ears. Bass levels in mixes were tricky at first but A/B monitoring along with finding the right "spot" helped and now is a non issue. I'll most likely go for the hs8's like Drew has next time around for the extended low range of the larger woofer.

More important than room size is how you place them and where you sit.

5. METAL123

METAL123 SS.org Regular

Now I'm stuck between the Yamaha HS7 and Focal Alpha 65..

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Honestly, the physics don't support the "smaller room, smaller monitor" thing.

I get the idea - if the problem is bass phase cancellation from a small, untreated room, why not choose a monitor that puts out less bass? But again, at the end of the day if the problem is you can't hear the low end accurately because of phase cancellation, some frequencies getting boosted, others notched, then simply not putting them out in the first place doesn't give you any better low end accuracy - you still can't hear what's going on in the low end in the mix, but now it's because it's simply not being produced, and not because of random boosts and cuts.

So, the answer isn't to just not have bass, the answer is to position your monitors as well as you can to minimize phase cancellation, and then if you REALLY care about accuracy, treat your room.