Mojotone Tomahawks, Omega Basilisks and Omega Cerberus bridge clips

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Edika, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Hi all I've had a couple of people and specifically @KnightBrolaire asking me about how these pickups sound and for some clips. I haven't recorded something for a while and it took me a few days just to manage to get Reaper working and recording the correct audio (I suck I know). Plus I'm really self conscious about my playing. I'd try a few things, sound decent, press record and everything sounds like ass lol. So please excuse my crappy playing and mistakes. Plus I'm not the greatest solo player and I suck at improv. Then you ask why not play a known song. I tried but I kept messing up and gave up lol.

After this long prologue I recorded these with my Peavey 5150II using the Red channel for the distortion with pre gain at 4, bass 4, mid 6, high 5, post at 1 and something, Resonance 6 and presence 5 with a TS808 with the classic drive 0 and balance 10 with the tone just above the middle.

The cleans were recorded with Pre gain at 2, low 6, mid 5, high 3, post gain 2, Resonance 6 and a half and presence 3 and a half.

Mic was an SM57 going to a Presonus AudioBox 22VSL and I used Reaper as a DAW. Nothing else. I tried using a camera but the recordings were a bit crap and there's no point looking at me playing lol.

Unfortunately it's a bit unscientific because the pickups are in different guitars with different tunings and strings etc etc but you can at least get some idea. Again forgive my crappy playing.

Jackson SL2H Mojotone Tomahawk set. Guitar in C with 11-56 D'Addario strings.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-806879897/jackson-sl2h-mojotone-tomahawk-set

Jackson KE2 Omega Basilisk set. Guitar in D with 10-52 Ernie Ball strings.

https://soundcloud.com/user-806879897/jackson-ke2-omega-basilisk-set

Squier FR-211 Cerberus bridge. Guitar in Drop C with 10-54 D'addario strings.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-806879897/squier-fr-211-omega-cerberus-bridge

I tried recording them with my Laney VH100R but they sounded almost the same lol. That amp needs to be cranked to sine but I can't really do that at my house. I hope someone finds these useful.

2. oneblackened

oneblackened CROAKIES! CROAKIES!

The cerberus is my favoirte. The Tomahawk is so dark...

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire highway to the metalzone

cerberus sounded good, it seemed to have the most growl on the low end. it seems a bit brighter than the basilisk for soloing too. tomahawk is interesting, I'll have to see how it sounds through my setup.

4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Truth be told the Cerberus is the more open sounding and brightest with the least output of the three.

The guitar I have the Tomahawk is quite dark sounding. At least this is my impression. I had an Evolution set that sounded great in E standard but when I took it down to C it was quite mushy sounding and dark. The Tomahawk made everything clearer while still having an open sound but the dark sound remained.

The Basilisk set has a lot of highs and more lows than the Cerberus. If I compare it with the Duncans the where in before (JB bridge and Distortion neck), it's more articulate amd clearer sounding again but with more output. The bridge pup especially has comparable DC resistance as the Tomahawk bridge but gives a more solid tight in your face sound. Like palm mutes are more precise with no sag.

As I said it's three different guitars in different tunings but I've been thinking of swapping the pickups around. I feel that the Basilisk set will suit the Soloist better and the Tomahawk set the Kelly better. Or even try the Cerberus plus Basilisk neck in the Soloist and put the Basilisk in the Squier. The Squier sounds great but needs a bit more meat.

I should mention that all three bridge pickups have Alnico 5 core magnets with Cermic 8 flanks and that the Basilisk has 4 flanks, 2 per side.