"Modern" Tele options

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Avedas, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I'm looking for a tele with the proper tele sound (pups and ashtray bridge, basically). The typical Fender offerings aren't bad but don't really come with the modern specs I'd prefer. Basically jumbo SS frets, 16+ inch radius, and a belly carve in the body would be ideal. Budget is maybe $800-$2000ish. Pretty flexible within that range, but don't really want to go any higher.

What sort of options are available? Wirebird would be cool but I'm not sure I really want to drop that much cash, especially as an import. Mayones Legend T22 is also a solid option but there aren't any around here to try and I'd have to blind custom order in that case, which puts it in about the same camp as Wirebird. I tried some Tokai teles that were fairly inexpensive ($1000 ish) that actually felt pretty good, but had similar specs to a Fender. Fujigen probably would have been a decent option but they don't do teles in their custom shop. Not really sure how warmoth would work out with imports, but maybe that's a good option as well.

I'm not exactly an expert on what's available in the tele world. I'm completely open to production models or less expensive custom builders. There are likely some other Japanese builders I don't know about as well which may be cool to check out.

I suppose if there's no better option I could just get a Fender or Tokai and spend $500 putting BKP Yardbirds.

2. Lifestalker

Lifestalker SS.org Regular

Have you not considered a Kiesel?

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Warmoth or usa custom guitar partscaster.

4. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Not worth the import costs.

5. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

I have a Partscaster that I absolutely cherish. I bought it with a USA made WD body, Gotoh hardware, CTS components, Dimarzio pickups, and after I changed the Squire neck for an Allparts USA neck, I was only at about $700.

I got to play Strandberg's Salen at NAMM this year. That's about as modern as you can get, but it does seem to check all of your boxes.

If you're okay with a HH config, the Ibanez FR6UCS Prestige is absolutely gorgeous and you seriously can't go wrong with a prestige.

6. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

Fast guitars legacy? There's a completed one on reverb that might meet your spec needs.

7. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Hmmm Warmoth is actually looking like a pretty solid option. Or maybe Musikraft? Not really familiar with these

8. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

G&L!

An ASAT (Tele) Classic would be closest to what you want, but an ASAT Special would do beautifully. Don't worry about the different pickups in the Special, they still sound mostly like Teles.

With your budget you can almost order a custom, and certainly find an in-stock. They offer all the specs you're looking for, many standard. Quality is top notch.

Don't go the partscaster route unless you've built a few before and have all the tools. Even ordering everything from the same vendor, like Warmoth, doesn't mean it's a LEGO kit. They take a lot of work to make really good playing, feeling and sounding instruments. The reason resale on parts guitars is so awful is because most aren't put together right.

AkiraSpectrum and USMarine75 like this.
  10. USMarine75

USMarine75 Lover of sasquatch erotica Contributor

Some ideas but most of what I can think of is closer to 12" radius but with more modern neck carves (flatter like Ibanez not chunky like a 50s Fender). SS frets you can always get done after if you need... hard part is the radius.

G&L
    Anderson
    Suhr Modern T used?
    MIJ Fender Aerodyne (cant remember radius)
    Peavey USA Generation or Reactor (but only 12", however they have a modern carve)
    Charvel Duplantier sig or other. They mostly have the 12-16" compound I believe.
    Fender Jim Root Tele, but only 12" radius
    Schecter PT especially the USA and custom shop ones are legit 10/10 guitars. Just ask @zimbloth at Axe Palace I tried to leave my Mayones Regius and leave with his Schecter USA Masterworks instead! He can also give you the sccop on the Charvels as he sells those too.

I'd also stay away from partscasters like Warmoth unless you have experience...and I speak from experience! My tele would be in parts in a box if not for @Randy ! However, you could probably buy a Fender style tele and then swap just the neck a lot easier than a whole build. Warmoth makes their necks with Fender heel, so shouldn't be too complicated. You can order or find one with same size tuner holes so you can reuse those too. Only issue I see is installing the nut and I think they will file it for you so you just have to install.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Lover of sasquatch erotica Contributor

Fender John 5 (or J5 Triple) are another awesome option... but only 12" (has a modern C carve at least).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I built a Warmoth Tele earlier this year and I love it so far. No issues with fretwork, finish, or parts not lining up right. Really the only stuff that could use improvement are things I did myself like the electronics, setup, and a tung oil finish on the neck. Plus it's pink, so it sounds gnarly.

USMarine75 and A-Branger like this.
  13. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Well I have no access to tools beyond a screwdriver so I guess I'll skip on the partscaster route. I'll have to spend some more time at the shops to see what turns up. G&L looks like a good choice.

14. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

I know someone mentioned Schecter already, but I think you would like the Hellraiser Hybrid series better.

Other than that if I was in your situation I would be doing a warmoth build, but since you can't I would say Schecter is probably one of the better options. Others are great aswell, but I think that the schecter is more tailored towards a modern tele. Plus you could always swap out the emgs for fishmans or something if you don't like em

The906 likes this.
  15. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

That hybrid PT in the purple is quite gassy.

16. JustinRhoads1980

You know it is an ultraviolet?

It changes colors based on how the light is on it.

The906 likes this.
  17. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Yep, that's the one. Daaaahhh....I see purrrpull....

18. JustinRhoads1980

I wouldn't mind a dark purple burst quilt top. I would be sold on that

The906 likes this.
  19. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Suhr Andy Wood, the single coil version.

nvm just saw the budget

heavily used Suhr Andy Wood

USMarine75 likes this.
  20. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Screwdrivers are all you really need, if you buy a finished body. Get a tech to do the pickup install and you're set.

A-Branger likes this.