Mixing string brands/types?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by gnoll, Oct 21, 2018.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I'm pretty particular about my string gauges and there are no sets in the gauges I want, so I'm forced to buy my strings as singles. Problem is, there's always one gauge or more that's missing even from the singles, depending on brand. Like maybe there's no .040 from brand X but then there's no .030 from brand Y. So, what would happen if I were to get say some D'addario, some Ernie Ball, some Elixir, etc.? Would it be noticeable in feel, sound, etc.? Anyone tried it?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I doubt you'd really be able to tell, especially after they get broken in.

I could see maybe there being a more noticeable difference if you went with different materials (steel vs. nickel) or mixed in some coated strings with non-coated, but if they're all the same material and construction, it'll be hard to tell them apart unless you're looking for it, which might actually be the biggest hurdle: you know they're different so you're looking for the differences whether they're there or not.

I wouldn't say this is uncommon. Us 7 and 8 string players have had to mix and match strings for many years to make sets for our guitars. When I started playing ERGs you had to mix sets as there were only a couple 7-string sets even available, so you had to cobble things together from various sets and brands.

I play music likes this.
  3. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

I notice a feel difference on the wound strings from brand to brand sometimes, but the plain strings feel all the same.
    As a sort of solution though, you can order custom sets from String joy and get the exact gauges you want all in one place.

4. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I wonder how many different string makers there even are worldwide and how many brands just order from one of those and just design their own packaging.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Most of the larger brands own their own manufacturing, but smaller operations and store brands tend to be OEM from one of the bigger makers (typically D'Addario).

I play music and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  6. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I ended up finding a store that had all the gauges I wanted from D'Addario. It got more expensive, but whatever I guess. Rather not risk having a wonky feeling guitar...

Winspear and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  7. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

www.stringjoy.com

customizable sets, premade balanced sets available, or just build your own set. not sure about international shipping, but it IS a custom string place that i use religously.

8. JK-PA

JK-PA SS.org Regular

I used custom sets from stringjoy for a while but shipping (to Germany) and customs duty made it too expensive for me.

soldierkahn and Winspear like this.
  9. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I think I'm allowed to post this as I'm a paying vendor - just wanted to throw it out there that it is my goal to become the 'stringjoy of europe' so to speak. I have gauge gaps to fill yet but aim to provide everything without the heavy prices of single strings or the slow/expensive shipping/customs :)

Soya and JK-PA like this.
  10. JK-PA

JK-PA SS.org Regular

Sound intersting!
    I'm happy with a different company rn, but always open to try something new especially when I could finally stop buying a .11-.48 set and replace the low e-string with a .62 single string haha

Winspear likes this.