Mix Test Feedback (Levels)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by nohope, Jun 25, 2015.

1. nohope

nohope SS.org Regular

Hey guys, just a bit of a mix test.
    Having some issues getting my mixes loud enough. I feel like its 'in your face' enough but lacks some volume. :realmad:

Any feedback would be appreciated, feel free to ask any q's also.

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-birt-heapy/mix-test

2. Darkstar124

Darkstar124 Strongman

Honestly dude, if it feels intense, if it FEELS loud, getting closer to a consistent 0db is just robbing you of dynamic and clarity. I think this sounds pretty damn decent. Its not heinously quiet. Folks have volume knobs, make em use em. In fact, for having as compressed a sound as this does the waveform is very dynamic. This is really the sound I aim for. I've released records quieter than this. Forget the ruttin loudness war, make good mixes!

3. nohope

nohope SS.org Regular

Thanks heaps dude! Definitely played around for a while, lots of limiter going on.

Do you have a common way of increasing volume without clipping though? I figured less low end would work but it sounds heaps thin.

4. yanzfoot

yanzfoot SS.org Regular

It can sound pretty good, but you need more layers for the main guitars, beside from what they said up here.

5. manana

manana SS.org Regular

The guitars sound mono. Did you double track? Your compression seems really high you can hear this with the cymbal gain increase during quiet parts.

The cleans sound really good. What did you use for that?

Its hard to judge the mix without double tracked guitars. Drums sound pretty good, I would lower your compression by a lot and instead use a limiter on the master track such as L3 ultramaximizer by waves (highly recommend this).

6. boobstastegreat

boobstastegreat SS.org Regular

I feel this could benefit from a few things:

1) Hard pan left+right rhythm guitars
    2) More bass guitar. The mix or the master seems to have cut out some low end
    3) Clipping/bad stuff going on with the mastering compression. Try some parallel compression on the mastering. It gets pretty bad at 0:46