Mix/master from an acoustic roots-rock/folk rock project I've been doing with my dad and uncle

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Drew, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:38 PM.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Warning - non metal content. I almost didn't post this here, but, what the fuck. :lol:

This is a track from a project I've been working on with my dad and uncle for a LONG time now, that I'm just wrapping up the mix and master from - I'm not naive enough to call this a final mix or master, but more likely than not I'll only be doing mild tweaks, if any, here. It's been a fun project for me, partly because it's been awesome to make music with my dad and uncle (and, while my dad's gotten into home recording as kind of a songwriting tool for him, my uncle has never really done any serious recording before), and partly because this is definitely NOT my usual genre of music I work on, and if nothing else I almost never record and mix vocals. :lol:

This is kind of an introspective, minor key acoustic tune. My uncle sings and plays acoustic guitar, my dad played the keyboard part, and I did the drum programming, played bass, and electric guitar.

https://drewpeterson7.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/02-the-broom.mp3

If nothing else - this is a pretty good example of what Superior 3 can sound like in a more "organic" environment. This was cut early enough in the project that I believe most of the upgrading I've done to my signal chain lately happened after we cut this - I might have bought my Apogee by then, but if I did I'm pretty sure this was still cut with its stock preamps, and without the se4400a's I've been using on acoustics lately.

Anyway, I'd be curious what you guys think - I haven't gotten the opportunity to listen to this on enough different systems as I'd normally like, but we want to get this out to our family for the holidays so I'm running out of time.

Flemmigan, DudeManBrother and odibrom like this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It definitely has a raw/organic kind of thing going for it. I dig it. I'm pretty impressed that this came from SD3.

3. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

I would personally boost vox on lows, cut some mids of acoustic guitar but overall

its nois

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Thanks guys!

There's actually a fair amount of midrange already scooped out of the acoustics, and the vocals sit way better in the mix, IMO, than they did with more low end. It's less that I'm cutting lows, so much as I'm using the Sonimus Burnley73 to boost the highs (as well as add some saturation), which changes the overall balance of the vocal a bit.

And yeah, I may have spent a LONG time working on the velocities of the drum programming here... but the fact Superior 3 could keep up with that and sound pretty natural speaks volumes too.

5. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

This is an interesting departure for you, Drew! I like it.

6. odibrom

odibrom .

Super nice tones in this tune, congrats. If anything, I'd just bring the bass a little more to the front, give it more presence. But that's me that I like to hear the bass saying "i'm here!"...

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Thanks man - definitely not a song I wrote, so don't necessarily attribute this as a departure - it's more of a "session" role for me, I guess - but it was a lot of fun to do.

odibrum - in my own music, absolutely... But, I don't know how a big growly bass guitar sound would really work here, you know? Hell, if I had an acoustic upright (and could play it properly intonated, lol) I might have tried that here.

8. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

I dig this overall. Main gripe is the snare is way too loud and distracting. This is a chill song and the snare needs to maintain that vibe.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, on another board the only other complaint I was getting was to pull the snare (as well as the lead guitar, and give it a little more 'verb) back a little. I'll probably do (hopefully!) one final mix tonight - I suspect the mastering chain is probably pulling the snare forward a little more than it was on its own.

10. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Dude that’s a killer song. It has a Dylan meets Pink Floyd vibe to me. I really like how dynamic it is. Lots of room for transients while retaining an impressive overall loudness. Nice work

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Hey, thanks! Of the songs on this project, this is one of my favorites - I had a thing to do here and there with the arrangement (particularly the bass, drums, and lead guitar), but the song itself was written by my uncle, and I really liked the tune. That's part of the reason I've posted it on a few other boards in earlier phases of the mix for feedback as kind of an indicative sample for the project, because I really want to get this one right.

The keyboard was one of those happy accidents - I think my dad was originally planning on using a more conventional piano patch and was idly scrolling through preset banks to pull up a different piano sound than the stock one to see if it worked better, but in doing so, while idly playing with one hand, briefly stopped on a vibraphone, I think, based preset, and we absolutely loved it - it sits so well in the mix.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  12. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I agree. That piano (vibraphone) really compliments the song.