Mix critiques?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by WarMachine, Sep 7, 2018.

1. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Hey guys, i need some feedback on a clip of one of my tracks:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1aa199flknsosca/Explode_test.mp3/file

I REALLY dig my guitar tone so i don't really want to touch that if at all possible, and i feel like a have found a good bass tone to match up with it. Is there anything you guys may hear that could make the mix sound better? The only thing i'm doing processing wise on the guitars is a multiband compressor just for the low end on the guitars. The master bus is just a slight compressor and limiter to bump up the volume.

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

You should upload this to a streaming site like Soundcloud. I have a feeling a lot of users, including myself, don't want to download a random file.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  3. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Yep, I won't even listen to a rate thread unless it is embedded to the post.

4. WarMachine

5. Albake21

WarMachine likes this.
  6. WarMachine

Thanks dude! So other than the guitars being a bit too loud is there anything else you can hear i could improve the mix with? And is it all the guitars or just the rhythm or lead?

7. Albake21

Yeah both rhythm and lead. Lower it and then check to see if the bass needs to be lowered too. What are you using for your guitar tone? I really like it.

WarMachine likes this.
  8. WarMachine

Thanks again dude! I'm using a digitech GSP1101 straight in to Reaper with the 3Sigma EVH5153 IR (the tube variant). The only post processing i've done with the guitars is added a multiband compressor to the guitar buss to control the low end a bit so it wasn't fighting with the bass. On the lead i'm just using the built in Chorus in the GSP and using a stock tempo Delay plugin with Reaper. The patch i'm using for the GSP is the 2101 Sat Tube with some parametric EQ in the GSP as well. IMO you really can't beat the GSP once you figure out how to tweak it.

9. Albake21

Wow.... I'm really surprised in that GSP. It sounds fantastic!

WarMachine likes this.
  10. WarMachine

It really is a sleeper unit IMO. And the fact that you can run it as a stand alone preamp with that kind of tone or just as easily run it 4CM with a dedicated head is pretty badass :metal:

Albake21 likes this.
  11. WarMachine

OK, so i've tried tweaking a few things, rolled the guitars and bass back a hair, as well as adding a slight eq to the leads/fills to help them sit better while keeping the volume down. Basically a low cut around 150khz and a high cut at 6600hz, just to give them a little more of a mid boost by cutting vs actually boosting. I also added the last chorus/outro with the vocals as well for the 1st track:

https://soundcloud.com/user-398552247/explode-test-v2

And this is a full track, the title track of my album:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-398552247/fury-test

12. WarMachine

OK guys, hopefully this would be the last favor i need to ask for in my mixes lol.

Here's the track:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4os47c4ph6x5w94/Fury.mp3?dl=0

All i did differently is create a new bass tone using Helix Native, and add a Multiband compressor to the master bus. That was the secret sauce for this. It let me crank the bass and drums up a bit without overpowering the mix. Overall i'm very happy with this, hopefully you guys dig it. If so that'll mean i'm cutting my CD again with this new technique haha

EDIT: Also, i switched my guitar patch in the GSP to the 5150 II, with lower gain and picked up the OwnHammer Heavy Hitters II, running the EVH cab IR with the EVH speakers.

steinmetzify likes this.
  13. Albake21

I like it a lot, the bass it a bit loud, but not too loud. It's at the volume where it's more preference than over powering. Personally I like a loud bass though. I think vocals need to be a bit louder. It sounds like they are getting buried a bit, especially at the chorus. Just my :2c:

Keep up the awesome work!

14. WarMachine

Thanks dude i appreciate it! I agree, i was thinking the vocals could've been a touch louder also, i had my wife jamming to it and she thought they were at a good level lmao, she helps me with this A LOT because i always want an "outside" input considering i hear it all the time lol. And i'm with you on the bass as well, i prefer that also. Yeah i'm a guitarist first but there's something about a mean, crushing bass that i've always liked. It just puts that much more power into the mixes. Thanks again!!

Albake21 likes this.
  15. WarMachine

Ok, i don't think i'm changing anything up in my mixing now lol, i really like how this turned out:

(no cover this time)
    "The Return"
    https://soundcloud.com/user-398552247/the-return

EDIT: except maybe adjusting some of the orchestra's levels in the mix haha

steinmetzify likes this.
  16. Furyof

Furyof SS.org Regular

I can't say much about the orchestra in mix because I honestly don't know where that is supposed to sit. I feel like a lot of that is preference for the style you're going for. Though it does seem to be way over the guitars. Other than that it sounds like a super solid mix.

17. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

18. WarMachine

Thanks fellas! yeah i know the orchestra came off a littler over-bearing but i'll tweak that lol. On the drums i'm using Naughty Seal Perfect Drums. I was a die hard EZDrummer fan until i tried these a couple of months ago. Haven't looked back since.

Kaura and steinmetzify like this.
  19. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

This is dope man. Other than the levels on the orchestra which you’ve already covered, change nada.

What are you using for orchestral samples? I dig that.

WarMachine likes this.
  20. WarMachine

Thanks dude! I'm using East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra for this. It's a bit dated, but still the best IMO. I also have 8Dio Majestica which sounds amazing but there is a delay in the notes that drives me crazy, to the point that after you mix you have to move everything back by at least an 8th note to make it match the rest of the mix.

steinmetzify likes this.