Misha Mansoor's Precision Drive on Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Vince Torch, Jan 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Vince Torch

Vince Torch SS.org Regular

Hey guys ! I'm a bassist and I would like to have a djent tone, but sadly I don't have the money to afford myself a computer with an axe fx or a kemper or stuff. But I saw that Misha Mansoor has released a djent pedal, real good quality and totally affordable for me. So basically it should work on bass, since I've found some official bass tracks made with that pedal on spotify, but I would like to know if any of you guys have tried it on bass guitar and does it sound. Thanks a lot ! Have a nice day

2. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

The main thing it offers is an option to cut bass on the front end of a boost. That's definitely not how I would want to go about tracking bass. Especially when the guitar is usually cutting a ton of bass to stay tight on fast parts. Since bass is usually playing half as many notes at most you should be fine with keeping all that bass in the signal and letting the notes breathe a bit. I would get something that gives you the option to fine tune treble and upper mid to get as much cut as you need.

3. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

djent on bass = darkglass b3k/b7k

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yea, if you want djent tone on bass buy the Periphery bass player's stuff. The freq cuts on the precision drive might work here or there on bass, but they can't be optimized for both instruments.

Hollowway likes this.
  5. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

I own this "djent pedal" and don't play djent, or really even listen to it. It's an overdrive pedal, not a djent pedal.

Hollowway and A-Branger like this.
  6. xwmucradiox

Yep. Get a nice compressor and a B7K and you should be pretty solid. Generally that's how I track super low bass parts. Usually with a couple different amps. Last record was a Splawn 50 watt guitar head with a bunch of gain feeding an 8x10 and a pedal-based dirt rig feeding a Mesa D800 into a modern ported cab.

Hollowway and ThePhilosopher like this.
  7. Screamingdaisy

Screamingdaisy SS.org Regular

B7K will give the upper midrange clang/ping sound and let you blend the clean and dirty signals.

The clean/dirty blend is key if you want to run that kind of distortion without killing your low end or dynamics.

Hollowway likes this.
  8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I'm going to (unfortunately) resist the urge to go on a djent pedal tirade, and instead ask a question:

You Darkglass guys, what are you using as the power amp? A dedicated one, or just using the power amp portion of your regular bass amp, and running the Darkglass into that?

9. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

I just run mine through the front end of my amp.

Bass -> Compressor -> B7K -> Amp (preamp + poweramp). I don't run straight into the power amp.

10. xwmucradiox

Im running all the pedals I use either into the front end of a Mesa 400+ or a Mesa D800. The preamp in either is a huge part of my overall signal. I have multiple stages of EQ that are all different bands. The Darkglass pre on the NG2 sits in between the bands on the B7K and that covers slightly different bands than the EQs on my amps. So its not all completely redundant. Also its all gain staging so you're voicing the drive as much as EQing the final signal. Running the B7K direct would be much flatter tone-wise.

Hollowway likes this.
  11. Screamingdaisy

It's a distortion pedal, and I plug it into my amp like it's a distortion pedal.

Hollowway likes this.
  12. Hollowway

Is it? It says right on the front "Analog Bass Preamp." I don't mean to be challenging you on it - if everyone just uses it as a dirt pedal, then, effectively, it's a dirt pedal. But I've been expecting that I'd have to run it as a standalone preamp into a power amp. If no one uses it as that, I'm going to completely rethink my rig plans.

13. Screamingdaisy

Generally, in the bass world a dirt pedal with an elaborate EQ and a DI output will be labeled as a "preamp".

Most (all?) can be used as a legit preamp to drive a power amp, but they also work as a distortion pedal into a regular amplifier.

Veldar and Hollowway like this.
  14. Hollowway

Ah, well that shows my ignorance with bass stuff! It also makes it easier to use, so I don’t have to figure out how I’m going to bypass my preamp (since I don’t have a loop).

15. xwmucradiox

For regular folks running the pedal into the front end of an amp is always going to be the best option. If you have the luxury of the FOH engineer and top tier PA systems than using the pedals as DIs is a great way to streamline and cut stage volume but if you're not in a huge band its tough to make that work.

Hollowway likes this.
  16. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

to keep things simple, i run my b7k into the effects return on my bass amp. i also prefer the tone i get that way.
    if i ever end up playing bass live, i'd probably do the same thing whilst also using the di > foh.

edit: also not a djentist

Hollowway likes this.
  17. Hollowway

Yeah, I might have to pick up one of these. I reeeealllly don't want to spend any more money on bass gear, but everything I know about darkglass tells me I'll love it.

18. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

ditto - i found a good deal so i grabbed one. i'm more inspired to play bass now. can't wait to try recording with it.

Hollowway likes this.
  19. Vince Torch

Vince Torch SS.org Regular

Thank you very much guys ! I think I'll try it just to hear how it sounds, but yeah if it's not amazing I'll buy a Darkglass B3k. Thanks a lot !

20. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

I think Darkglass stuff sounds better when running into regular bass amps to 'fix' the tone stack a bit