Misha GW Column

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by gdbjr21, Apr 1, 2011.

1. gdbjr21

gdbjr21 SS.org Regular

Cool, Misha Mansoor has a column in Guitar World now. :hbang:

2. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

Really?

3. Guitarman700

Guitarman700 SS.org Regular

Well played guitar world, well played.
    You MIGHT get me to buy another issue now. Something I said would NEVER happen.

4. gdbjr21

gdbjr21 SS.org Regular

Yup, just got my May issue today. Its called "The Djent Set" he covers the intro to "Buttersnips" this month.
    Also a Nice Periphery Interview in the issue.

5. ArrowHead

ArrowHead SS.org Regular

Which columnist did he replace?

6. gdbjr21

gdbjr21 SS.org Regular

Not sure who he replaced?

7. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

This is pretty interesting to me. I think Misha has an approach that the more mainstream guitar-playing community hasn't heard yet. Good for him :yesway:

8. Universe74

Universe74 SS.org Regular

Ditto. I remember reading a letter from a subscriber saying the day he saw the column from the guitarists from Good Charlotte was the day he cancelled.

9. ZackP3750

ZackP3750 SS.org Regular

Talk about opening up the doors, kids are going to be incredibly exposed to this whole world of metal. Fucking win for Guitar World, I haven't bought an issue in probably 3 years but this just might bring me back

10. Guitarman700

Guitarman700 SS.org Regular

For me, it was the fact they were too busy sucking Metallica and Jimmy page's dicks to cover any really unique or progressive music. Every goddamn issue was Metallica or Led zeppelin. I love Zep, but it just got to be too much. I canceled a few years ago. Might buy an issue to check this out though.

11. Valknut

Valknut Banned

Yeah everyone gets caught in this circle of 1) people getting tired of the old bands that layed the foundation for the music we listen to today taking up all the media exposure and spot lights that can be used to promote new bands that can take everything in a new direction that makes the music world less stagnant, 2) then people misinterpret others getting sick of hearing about old bands as disrespect, and think that people just don't know how much the old bands have inspired and helped the progress of newer musicians today even though we've all listened to the old bands into the dirt, 3) which makes everyone talk about how great all of the old musicians are EVEN MORE which keeps everyone from hearing about new bands and you get piles and piles of magazines with old bands all over it, which causes the whole thing to repeat all over again because you get even more tired of them.

I love led zeppelin, you love led zeppelin, we all love led zeppelin, but we already know everything there is to know about led zeppelin, because the band split up 30 or so years ago. Can we get some exposure on some other bands now? lol

I understand educating the youth about older bands is necessary so they can understand how important all of those old guys were to the music we listen to now, but damn dude are we doomed to go to some indie record store/coffee shop ran by beatnicks that spend more time shaping their facial hair than they do helping their customers dig through the piles of contemporary pop and industrial crunk core just to get our inside scoop on the new bands? haha

But its cool. I have the time to lurk around on the internet for my music news. It just sucks for people who like the convenience of a magazine i guess lol.

12. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

Yaah for Bulb! I will definitely buy this issue!

Man I agree so much about GW!! You know Led Zep hasnt put out new material in how long but you still cover them so much. Ok dont misinterpret this, I respect Hendrix, but hes been dead for how many years and still gets articles??? You have modern bands like Periphery tearing it up, and so many current metal players get no respect and are animals!!! Wheres Tosin??? Shit even John Petrucci doesnt get much coverage!! But like you all I havent bought an issue in a few years

13. ArrowHead

ArrowHead SS.org Regular

Any of you actually read the magazine? Because I'd swear most of you haven't touched it in 6 years.

My subscription just ran out. I've seen Protest the Hero, Periphery, AAL, and tons of other bands getting covered. Articles on zeppeling, metallica, and all that other shit is few and far between. They've had regular columnists like Jeff Loomis.

Check the magazine out before you bash it.

14. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

I knew Loomis has a column. I admit I havent looked at one in probably two years so I have old info on my bashing. Ill get the new issue and re think my stance on it.

15. Valknut

Valknut Banned

Yep you totally called it. i haven't read the shit in ages. It is very cool that they are covering guys like loomis. Thanks for the heads up.

16. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

I agree with everyone so far. GW has made it a point to include articles on NILE,EMPEROR,DEATH,MASTADON,HIGH ON FIRE,CELTIC FROST, as well as many newer more up and coming bands. However, I'm very very sick of seeing so many of the same old rocknroll guitar gods that have been studied for decades get so many feature articles and covers. Everone knows how great of musicians guys like SRV, HENDRIX, LENNON, RHOADS and so on were/are. I hope guitar world will have faith that their reader/subscriber list will grow if they grow.

17. Curt

Curt Djackass

I stopped caring about Guitar world back when the most promoted bands were Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Steve Vai.

Haven't bought one in 5 years, really.

I love Zep and Hendrix, and metallica was good until 96. but they just get far too much coverage for most stuff to really get any recognition to most guitarist or musicians in general.

18. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

I'll try to look it up however it's a publication I leave well alone for the most part - I was a long-running purchaser in the 90's and there was an awful lot of dross in-between the covers at the time. I can't see that changing even if Misha is writing a column.....but I'll make the attempt to check it out at least :)

19. mattofvengeance

mattofvengeance Team Ibanez

Yeah, I've taken a look at it periodically, mostly to see what songs they have tabbed out to see if there's anything interesting. I can't believe you guys haven't mentioned the insane over Dimebagging they did for awhile. That's part of what turned me off of the magazine. I love the guy as much as anybody, but for christ sake let him die.

20. Valknut

Valknut Banned

Shit. I know so many people who hate dimebag just because they didnt know who he was and the media talked about him so much after his death. The whole situation is just a tragedy. But yeah, I hope he has time to rest in peace for real now that everybody is done posting "RIP dime" on every pantera vid on youtube. :( but even now i feel like saying rip dime so i guess it will never end.