Mind Riot's Guide to D'Addario String Tension

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by Mind Riot, May 28, 2006.

1. TotallyBr00tal

TotallyBr00tal SS.org Regular

I just put a .49 and a .66 on my guitar and it is so much better now, the .59 was ok but way too flimsy, the .66 is so much better. Its definitely easier to play and sounds better also. This is my first post on here so whats up dudes.

2. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Glad it worked out for you man. Welcome to the forum.

3. GWD

GWD Contributor

To further aid Mind Riot's guide everyone should use this String Tension Applet. It is an applet utilizing the same D'Addario equations but does the calculations for you if you give it some basic information like scale length, the string gauge you want and whether the strings are plain steel, nickel wound etc.

http://www.pacificsites.net/~dog/StringTensionApplet.html

daemon barbeque likes this.
  4. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

This is an awesome post, I'm so glad it's here!

Question: has anyone experienced issues with the larger-than-standard E and B fitting through the nut or tuning post? I haven't tried this yet, but I'd hate to buy a full set of strings and two singles, then find the larger ones don't fit! So, any problems?

5. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman 8-0ctaves

Please keep an eye on http://octave4plus.com

6. robanomoly

robanomoly ss.org newcomer

If anyone is interested, I created a simple Excel spreadsheet for determining string tension based upon scale length and string gage. It is located here.

7. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

So I got my string set... and I think I miscalculated.

I knew I wanted to drop-tune to A, so I ended up getting a .68 for the 7th string... and it's way too big. It fits in the tuner and the nut, but is oversized for the bridge (ESP LFR). Plus, the jump in size is DRAMATIC. With a .34 5th and .46 6th, the .68 felt like a monster. Under my fingers, it felt out of place, like it didn't match.

The set came with a .59, but I may eventually compromise with a .62 or .64.

Anyone else have similar issues?

8. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

how do i figure out my tension on my 1077 (27" scale) tuned to A standard with these gauges

11 -
    14 -
    21 -
    28 -
    38 -
    49 -
    60 -

9. Apophis

Apophis Banned

10. zimbloth

That's WILDLY off the mark. Try 9-12-16-24-32-44-60, 10-13-17-26-34-46-62, 10-13.5-26-36-48-64, or 10-14-18-26-36-49-66. Or you can mix and match.

I tune to A standard, and I've always just used Mind Riot's guide as a reference. I know it won't be exactly the same as his calculations are for B, but I've gotten fantastic results from it.

11. soldierkahn

wow, to me those gauges sound wildly off, lol

i use 10-48+58 for Bstan on my 25.5 7, so i figured if im tuning a step down, to have the right amount of tension, i move two steps up on string gauge, lol

11-49 set seems to work well. i dont like how loose my low A is though, but refuse to use any thicker than a 60, because then it sounds too bassy

12. Ultramog

Ultramog SS.org Regular

I've been using the Zakk Wylde low set 11-70 and dropping a 30 in for the G string in the middle. Works pretty well, but a more progressive set would be Ernie Ball Skinny/Fat 10-52 + a single 70. This is what I'll order next. Couldn't cobble together anything better at the Guitar Center. This is on a Blackjack (26 1/2" scale.) I was a bass player forever, so the feel of 70 doesn't bother me and I really appreciate the tension; notes on that string are much more consistent with the others than with the .56 that came on the guitar.

13. soldierkahn

yeah i dont like 56s, 58s are much more sonically solid

14. Ultramog

Ultramog SS.org Regular

I've been using the DR Jeff Healey set (nickel 10-56) plus a GHS 70 for a week now. Significant improvement to playability. Action is more even from string to string and as you go up the neck. Unwound strings sing more than the 11s I was using. The .56 E is noticeably chunkier and I have to angle the pick more to avoid catching on it. But the axe (Blackjack) just feels happier so its more fun to play.

Hooray.

15. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

You use a .010 - .056 set with a .070 tuned to B? Those are some pretty manly strings. :metal:

16. Ultramog

Ultramog SS.org Regular

I played bass for 17 years; I like fatter low stuff. And I didn't care about playing fast until last week. Actually what got me started was this thread 6 months ago; learning about consistent string tension got me thinking. Anyway, the guitar feels more like a single instrument now rather than separate high-end/low-end beasts.

17. KholdStare

KholdStare SS.org Regular

Wow, Mind Riot, thanks so much for pointing this out! For quite some time now
    I've been annoyed at the floppiness of the low E-string on my six. I always had
    to tune a tiny bit flat, so that when it went sharp from digging in, it wouldn't be
    out of tune, but that caused all kinds of intonation issues ARGH, it was driving me nuts :wallbash:

Time came to change the strings again, so I bought a .49 and a regular 10-46 set.
    Put the 49 on, and WHAM, instant sex :lol: Very beefy tight tone, and not to mention
    doesn't flop around. I love it! :hbang:

Thanks again, and I highly recommend people to try this out :)

18. zimbloth

Yep this has been an invaluable resource to me over the years. Definitely one of my key bookmarks. :yesway:

19. Guitar_Freak7

Guitar_Freak7 SS.org Regular

thanks MR for posting this. seen it a while back and showed it to a friend that though it was dumb but he to say the least was an idiot and didnt even get it, but then again he dont play 7s so he hasnt had the fbs (flabby b syndrom). was goin to try this a while back but never got around to it. but just ordered a few sets of 10's for a 6er and a few .064 singles for the b, once i get them in ill post back on how they worked out.

20. ryuu

ryuu SS.org Regular

Hi,

i wonder which set would be good for a Bb tuning on a 26,5" Schecter C7.

Atm i have a D'Addario EXL120-7 set tuned to B.

Any of you have an idea?

Greetings

Ryuu