Milk.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Aevolve, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Aevolve

Aevolve Yugen.

So I've heard a plethora of opinions on this, searched for a thread, and found nothing really relevant to my question.

Which is truly better for you nutritionally?
    Whole milk or Skim/Lowfat milk?

Whole milk quite obviously has much more fat in it but I've heard arguments saying that skim/lowfat milk is processed down into nothing but sugar, really.

Comments?

Rook likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

In moderation and supplementing a proper diet, both are roughly equal.

3. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

That's the most retarded thing people say, skim milk is fine. Just look at the fucking nutrition thing, it says there's protein in it :lol:

4. jackalan996

jackalan996 SS.org Regular

these both milks have the equal quality and parameters.you can use both according your desire. but you also know that milk is only the product which have all the vitamins.

San Diego Weight Loss

5. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    A friend of mine who works at Johns Hopkins (so I'm assuming she knows her stuff) told me that vitamin D, which is normally added to milk, is a fat-soluble vitamin, and that the vitamin is not easily absorbed when in skim milk.

She also told me that some studies show that men who drink six or more 8-oz glasses of whole milk have reductions in LDL cholesterol and their triglycerides (20% for the triglycerides?), and that they build muscle more easily. That's a huge amount of milk, though.

6. Cuthbert

Cuthbert SS.org Regular

Milk is best and healthy food for the person who want to gain weight because it is rich of with fat but it is not to good for those who want lose weight due to rich of fat. Fat increase the weight.

7. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

A few friends of mine are constantly on and off training for martial arts competition.

They strongly advised me against cow's milk due to agricultural practices.

They claim:
    Cow's udders are often removed so that they can be mechanically milked, this and other factors cause mastitis, which is an infection of the mammary glands. Sooo, they pump it full of antibiotics to counteract the puss. The animals are all fed steroids etc. so it's in the milk after pasturisation.

They all drink Soya as a life choice, to prevent desensitisation to anti biotics. They all get broken a lot so need maximum healing factor. :D

Crazy ninjas... :nuts:

8. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Just to note: in the US, certified organic milk isn't going to be pumped full of antibiotics, and will also be free of rBGH.

I stopped drinking soy milk in a major way when I found it it was full of genistein and daidzein, which are so similar to estrogen that they're known as phytoestrogens (plant-produced estrogens). Tofu doesn't have high levels because the soy is fermented, but soy milk has been the culprit in cases where men have developed breasts while their penises atrophied.

One more thought: unless the soy you're consuming is organic, there is a lot of research showing that genetically modified (GM) soy, which is 87% of the soy produced in the US, causes liver damage in animal tests... and that the gene sequence responsible for the change can also make the jump into the normal intestinal bacteria in the human stomach, meaning your gut will forever have the problem dwelling within.

(Sorry, I know that was all really wonky, but a coworker of mine does a lot of work on food issues, and she just presented to a few groups on GMO issues.)

9. Zombie13

Zombie13 Guitartist

That's not really true info on the soy,
    (taken from a breast cancer site Confused about soy and estrogen? )
    Soy proteins contain isoflavones that can mimic a weak estrogen effect. It's not "high test" estrogen like your own body would make. It is 1,000 times weaker than your own body's estrogen

I read up on that before I became vegan, most of it has been myths and soy seems to balance your estrogen levels, not give you more or take away.

I've been drinking strictly soy/almond/rice and coconut milk for 2 years now, and I've felt 100 times better than my milk drinking days (and I enjoyed milk but always questioned it's quick expiration, taste, reason and purpose) not to mention milk is disgustingly gross, unless you really enjoy drinking accumulated white blood cells :)

10. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

lol, it never ceases to amaze me how ignorant people are when it comes to steroids.

11. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Right, because dietary fat = fat levels in the body.
    And of course, net weight change over time is definitely not determined by caloric intake, with macronutrient intake definitely not determining body compositional changes.
    Must just be pure luck that I continue to lose fat on a high fat diet, right:rolleyes:
    Reality =/ crap people read in a women's magazine

12. Aevolve

Aevolve Yugen.

So should I switch to higher-fat milk? Or is skim fine?

I'm gathering from what people say here that both are equally as good and it doesn't really matter in the slightest. :scratch:

13. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negativeā„¢

Jesus christ... Here. I'll help you guys out.

1- Do you want to reduce your daily fat intake?
    Yes: Drink skim/no fat milk
    No: Drink whole milk

The only difference between whole and skim milk is a loss of flavor and creaminess/texture/color when the fat is removed from the milk.

14. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

I always equated soy with estrogen, perhaps I will do more research as I know little about it.

@Uncreative123

I was just presenting a short version of a long lecture given to me at close range by an intimidating giant. When giants are talking, I go with a "let the Wookie win" policy.

I'm sure google could present some interesting information in agricultural steroids, but I agree that bold accusations should be reserved without presenting more information.

1st google result
    China food scandals: China wrestles with food safety problems - Los Angeles Times

15. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

on a side note, organic milk TASTES 10x better. Plus, it lasts a few months, which gets me pretty suspicious about the non-organic stuff and it's 2 week expiration.

16. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I'm lactose intolerant so I made the switch to Almond milk a bit ago and I approve.

No protein in it though.

17. Labrie

Labrie King of the Swing

Skim milk has been stripped of fat and therefore a good chunk of the fat soluble vitamins originally in milk also. It would be correct the say that skim milk is basically all sugar which leads to those lovely insulin spikes much like other foods with a high glycemic index. I think if you have an issue with body fat, your choice of milk is the least of your concerns. In an otherwise healthy individual saturated fat is not the poison that popular opinion leads you to believe.

18. Greatoliver

Greatoliver Looking to windward

Bit of a tautology here. Nothing is a problem in a healthy individual :cool:

/being a dick :lol:

It is still a problem, to a certain extent - it raises the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Mononsaturates are better for you, in most situations. You do need some sat fat though, as you need some for the cholesterol in the cell membrane.

Also, there is protein in milk too, which is not stripped out with the fat. I think the vitamins in milk are pretty negligible, unless you drink large quantities. The same can be said about the difference between whole vs skimmed - it is a matter of 100 calories or so.

That being said, if you are looking to reduce your calorie intake, it does make a difference.

19. Blake1970

Blake1970 SS.org Regular

I use 2% with my protein powder.

20. Labrie

Labrie King of the Swing

Insulin spikes can also cause atherosclerosis so that argument is invalid. I'm not saying milk will give you a heart attack, I'm more or less saying the fat content in milk should not be perceived as such a bad thing.