MIJ RG vs RG Prestige?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by R34CH, Sep 19, 2017.

1. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

First post!

Been getting back into metal after nearly a decade long detour into Jazz and I wanna get a used RG to use as a workhorse guitar. I barely know anything about Ibanez, but from searching around it seems like the fan favorites for what I'm looking for are either a 90s MIJ RG570 or an RG1570 Prestige.

In SSO's opinion which should I be looking for? Someone school me on these RGs. Is there even a real difference between the two? Are there certain years that are better than others? What should I be looking for?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

The Prestige line is MIJ. Personally, I prefer the older, pre-Prestige guitars because they are often cheaper and therefore a better value. As for what to look for, there's not much to say. Their build quality is very high, so feel free to buy any MIJ Ibanez.

Obviously, some have different specs, so that's just your personal preference. A lot of the older ones have been used and abused. These have always been workhorse guitars since they were introduced, expect them to typically be a bit rough.

Because a lot of older Ibanez guitars had thin, one piece necks, they tend to crack. Look for cracks on the back of the neck, between the two bolts holding the locking nut. Many Ibanez guitars have historically had cracks in the neck heel. This is just the paint, and doesn't affect the integrity of the instrument. Again, these tend to get used a lot, so don't be surprised if the frets are very worn or have been replaced. Check the trem unit for rust or wobbly posts. Wobbly posts won't allow the guitar to stay in tune, and rust may be a time-bomb for something to break and need replacing later down the road.

One last thing: a lot of people hate the Ibanez pickups, so give them a shot, but expect to spend a little extra on some new pups.

3. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

It's mostly down to original Edge or Lo Pro Edge tremolos vs. Edge Pro

1989-1993 = 1 piece maple neck and tilt neck joint, 1989-1992 = Edge 1992-1994 = Lo Pro Edge (Japan only)
    1995-1997 = 1 piece maple neck and AANJ, Lo Pro Edge
    1997-2002 = 1 piece with bubinga stripe, AANJ, Edge
    2003-2009: Prestige RG1570 = 2003-2004 = 3 piece maple 2005-2009 = 5 piece maple/walnut, Edge Pro

That's but a taste of the insane minutiae of Ibanez guitars and who likes what about them.

laxu likes this.
  4. R34CH

Thanks for the detailed posts guys! I was leaning toward a pre-Prestige and based on the info here I think I'll start searching!

5. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Did the detour into jazz end when you got sober? I ask on account of I don't see enough swingin' jizz being played on an RG.

Not a typo.

R34CH likes this.
  6. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

I have both. A RG570 from 2000 I think, and an RG652 from 2014.

I agree that the RG570 is going to be a much better value, since the 2 are basically the same guitar. However, you will probably have to put in extra money to swap the RG570 pups out. Usually the modern Prestiges come with great pups already, although that may not be true for the RG1570, so there is money to spend there as well.

I would say the main difference other than one obviously being more worn out than the other, is that the neck on the RG570, while still very thin, is slightly thicker and stickier than the 2014 RG652.

7. R34CH

Hahaha, I guess detour was the wrong word as I'm adding metal back into my repertoire along with jazz. I'm definitely not opposed to throwing down some jazz chord solos on an RG...especially after a few drinks.

Again, thanks all for your replies!

8. squids

squids .

I sold my brand new prestige RGD to buy a RG7620.
    to each their own, though.

RG503 likes this.
  9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Solid advice. I actually owned a 1989 RG550 where the neck cracked at exactly that point. It was only a single hairline crack running down the neck and I put some superglue in it and sanded flat, it had zero problems during the 15 years I owned it. But yeah, those bolts thru the headstock at the thinnest area of the neck was not a great design. The necks on the really old RGs are also toothpick thin. Personally prefer something chunkier.

The Ibanez V series pickups I had were some of the worst I've heard and the guitar became awesome when those were replaced with Seymour Duncans. Qualitywise I feel the MIJ RGs have been mostly the same over the years which I suppose is a feat of its own. In any case there are tons of models floating around and I would not dismiss the S series either. My favorite non-J-Custom Ibanez RG is the RG3120. Replace the DiMarzio Tone Zone bridge pickup with something less tubby sounding and you have a super nice guitar in look, feel and sound.

CrazyDean likes this.
  10. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Are the mij 400 series guitars any good? Or are you better sticking with the 500s?

11. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

I have a mij 470. Love it. The 5 series however, has a better vibrato system, and sometimes a skunk stripe neck. Oh except for the original non-AANJ 470's (92-93) that came with the original Edge just like the 570 did later.

That said, I've seen people trash the MIJ/Takeuchi Lo-TRS a bit too readily imo, it seems it's often confused with the Korean Lo-TRS II. I have two Takeuchi TRS variants (Ibby and Fernandes versions) and they've served me well for years. They did wear looks wise, but functionally they're fine.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  12. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I will 2nd the quality of takeuchi trems... while i wouldnt say they are on par with the edge variants, mine stays in tune perfectly on my rg420. the guitar is almost 20 years old and i use the trem a LOT. the only downfall for mine is it does not flutter at all.

13. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Typically, the 400 series is just a budget model 500 series. I'd take a well cared for 470 over a beatup 570, but it's up to you. However, If I had the money and patience, I'd wait for something in the 700 range because they had all the frills like matching headstock, mmmm....

Another sold option is looking for a USA Custom. Last I checked a few years ago, they went for around $1k and are known to be top quality, great players similar to the 500 series. Plus, I guarantee you will never see another in person with the same graphic. http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/USA_Custom_series

14. LiveOVErdrive

Thanks. I've got the hankering for a FR shred stick lately, but I also don't want to spend much money.

I'm eyeing a used js32 Dinky at my local shop. Seems to fit the bill.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  15. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Also, the S series or older Saber series shouldn't be overlooked. They are similar in specs and exactly the same in build quality. Personally, I find them too thin and a nuisance to play sitting or standing.

16. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I have no idea how you transposed my comments to suggest a JS32.

17. LiveOVErdrive

Unrelated and off topic. Ignore me.