Microtonal metal?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by The Omega Cluster, Jun 29, 2012.

1. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

This is amazing, thanks for sharing!

2. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

what exactly did i just watch

3. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Yes.

4. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

Just for the record, Ron Sword has a bad reputation because he's genuinely an asshole. He bootlegs band merch, makes ....ty guitars, and threatens people all the time on the internet. He's kind of like an Alex Gregory of sorts.

5. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

6. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Another track from King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, seems more microtonal than the first 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XW8yofuGao

As for Ron Sword, i'm a FB friend of his.

If you're referring to the alledged bootleg incident i'm thinking of which has been talked of a lot in other forums, he stopped immediately on request, but i'm not saying he did no wrong.

Some of his early guitars may have been rough but he's young and has improved, i know of an experienced musician who owns high-end guitars who bought a custom 9 string guitar and is very happy with the quality, also Stephen James Taylor bought a custom 9 string from him. Ron has made or converted more microtonal guitars in a larger variety of tonal systems than anyone else. He is far more accomplished than Jon Catler who seems to get a lot of reverence.

Ron has been very aggressive in the past yes, but regrets it and seems to have been improving over the last couple of years, i'm sceptical about 'threatens people all the time'. You may not like his personality or social behaviour but Ron is very much worthy of respect for his work and knowledge, and is a genuine pioneer and innovator, he is incomparibly far beyond Alex Gregory.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I've done business with Ron before. TBH, I was nervous about getting involved, after everything I had heard around the internet, but figured it might well be all old news. He was very professional, on par with most US luthiers (he's busy at times, so contact goes in spurts, but I assure you this is typical for lots of one-man businesses). The work he did for me was not flawless, but was well worth the money and time I had into it. As almost always, YMMV.

The guitar I obtained from Jon Catler was super fast and the fretwork was damn near perfect, though, but Catler costs more than twice as much and is a lot pickier about which projects he chooses to work on these days.

For example, if you wanted a 31-EDO Strat copy, you could get one from Jon or you could get one from Ron, but if you want a seven string, or an extended scale length, or a more "out" tuning, Ron is pretty much the only guy around doing that regularly.

There's also a dude out west who charges about 3x what Jon charges. I've never used him, but he comes either highly recommended or with tons of warnings, depending on who's talking.

8. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

9. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

^ Check out the beautiful new cassette format and packaging.

10. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

^ But wait, there's more!

11. nicomortem

nicomortem SS.org Regular

I'm sorry that it took me about a year to make any microtonal metal, and at times I feel I should apologize for my latest efforts as well :rolleyes:

I have gone through some major changes in my life, none of which have been for the better. I still play guitar, but I have had some serious writers block, lack of inspiration and the time spent defeating law enforcement's attempts to deprive me of liberty, justice, and the right to personal choice.
    At any rate, I have some new music for everybody. I used my Agile Interceptor 727 Custom 7-string and an Agile Septor 5-string bass that was modified and painted appear similar to the Interceptor. This song is mostly made of 3/4 step intervals, kind of a microtonal version of the old, "cannibal corpse" tri-tone scale (which interestingly enough, is contained within this 24-EDO approach) Basically it uses every three frets, only now is every three microtonal frets instead. I like it because it allows me to use familiar shapes and finger positioning of the tritone minor third scale, yet sounds totally new to me and nothing like cannibal corpse's signature sound, at least not blatantly.

I don't know guys, I mean, I always played in death metal bands, I grew up on Deicide, Sinister, Cannibal, Swedish DM, and for a while I was even in a moderately successful death metal band, Neomortem. There may even be 2 or 3 people here on the forum that remember us.

It all fell apart over the years and eventually I started playing other genres of metal...but the current state of popular metal, and even of the local metal scene has me feeling alienated and disenfranchised with it all, and I don't belong. I just don't fit in, and now I am returning to my roots, to the underground, where I am most comfortable and where I can just be myself.....So more rockstar dreams for me, but at least now I can play fast again :shred:

12. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

13. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

14. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

I applaud them for the microtonal publicity, but I can't say I'm a fan.

15. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

16. bostjan

:shred: Awesome!

17. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Prototype ultralong scale by Rewarrp https://www.facebook.com/RewarrpTechnoPage

"ultra sub contra vs alto guitar.
    Its a 18 edo vs the second octave little unequal going in to 19, 5.
    6 + 3 reverse + 1 extra reverse."
    Look like 3 reversed strings stop at the 'headless nut' halfway along and another stops another 11 frets closer to the bridge.
    Seems to be about 6ft. long.
    18EDO = 18 equally spaced pitches per octave.

Attached Files:

18. bostjan

That looks huge and daunting!

I would have no idea what to do with a tuning that far out.

:yesway:

19. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Attached Files:

20. bostjan

There are quite a few things I find nifty about your post. :yesway:

The alternating frets are a nifty idea for sure, especially if you are going to play with other instruments in standard tuning.

The seven bolt neck joint looks pretty crazy! I don't think I've ever seen a bolt pattern like that, either.

I headed over to this musician's website, hoping to find audio of the bass, but I guess I'll have to give it a little time. Track #1 on the site gives me the impression of a sort of post-modern smooth jazz with a hint of bossa nova. The first almost 90 seconds of the track were almost all on the same note on the bass, but once it starts ripping, it gets a lot more interesting. :lol:

Not really much metal going on here, but super interesting nonetheless.