Metallica's 'Load' and 'Reload' Era: Does It Deserve That Much Hate?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Louis Cypher, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

2. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Load and Reload are two of my favorite hard rock albums ever. Once I was able to separate them from my expectations of Metallica, I was really able to appreciate them for what they are. That took some time, though, since I was a fan back before Load was released, so I was among the "WTF is this garbage" crowd to start with.

3. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

They probably got undeserved hate for it, but also a lot of unwarranted praise as well. When people say "If it didn't say Metallica on the cover they'd be considered 90's classics!" I scratch my head. We'll never know but I don't think so. It's a hybrid of metal and grunge that was done better by Alice In Chains, TOOL, Smashing Pumpkins etc., I think. It's meandering jam carbohydrates turning 20 minutes of good ideas into two full albums. There's just so much filler. And James' tough-guy metal voice just doesn't make any sense with the softer, alt-rock vibe I think. In the 90's, you had Kurt, Staley, Maynard, Vedder, Corgan etc., not to mention people like Chino and Jonathan Davis, they all had a vulnerability about them that James just can't really do.

But some people must have liked it, we wouldn't have Nickelback, Five Finger Death Punch, Volbeat etc. without Load and Reload. So yay I guess. As much as I can't stand those bands, I still think they do the Load/Reload thing better than Metallica did.

aesthyrian, Manurack and XPT707FX like this.
  4. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Load is good for what it is, Reload maybe slightly less so. I always had a soft spot for "The House Jack Built".

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Load/Reload are fine, but not great albums imo. Reload is a bit worse with songs like The Memory Remains. They had some good riffage here and there but it just feels like they were chasing the burgeoning butt rock scene with those albums. They're definitely listenable albums but I just don't find them as interesting as the Black album/AJFA/Master of Puppets/Ride The Lightning.
    St. Anger is still by far their worst album. It had some good riffage on songs like Frantic or Invisible Kid, but was overly repetitive on most songs, not to mention the god awful detuned drums and most of the songs could have had about 4 minutes cut from them.

6. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    I don't listen to either album often but I don't believe they deserve the hate as they're both decent albums that are a bit of a throwback to 70's hard rock/early metal
    my only problem with them is that like a lot of Metallica's latter period material the songs are overlong and full of riffs that don't really need to be there.

What cracks me up about them now though is the amount of outrage they caused at the time for example I remember Headbanger's Ball interviewing Pantera during the recording of the 'Trendkill' album and Phil Anselmo going on some super serious rant about how offended he was by 'Load' and how Metallica were traitors to metal.....he then finished off the rant by looking into the camera 80's WWF style and inviting them to meet him for a fistfight. :rolleyes:

Obviously Anselmo has always been a bit of a prick who sees things in black and white (no pun intended) but so many other bands at the time made similar statements plus as I've gotten older I've come to realise it's best not to mention Metallica to metalheads of a certain age unless I want to witness them having a hysterical meltdown where they ramble on about betrayal and selling out for twenty minutes.

On a more positive note one of my favourite Metallica tracks is actually from the Reload album.

7. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Pretty much what KnightBrolaire said. I wouldn't say I hate Load/Reload but I'd still rather not listen to those :lol: But there's certainly some good riffage on both, and also St. Anger. I actually think the stuff from St. Anger I've heard live sounded pretty good - unlike for example Fuel, which I pretty much can't stand. It's not a bad song really, but it's not exactly one that improves the more you listen to it, and I've heard it way too many times. I wish they'd leave it off their set, but they just won't :lol:

8. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Nah, I stand by my point that Megadave did a way better transition into classical contemporary metal / hard rock than Metallica.

Youthanasia totally destroys Load/Reload and I'd even prefer to just listen to Trust on repeat instead of anything from those two.

That said I didn't grow up/ grew into these records and I had the opportunity to just pick the best of the best as I only got into metal in the beginning 00s.

Though I am most certainly not really a good reference point, as I'd say that the metal/hard rock songs from Nickelback's The State to The Long Road totally mop the floor with all of those other records, anyway.

Alex79, xzacx, BenjaminW and 3 others like this.
  9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I really like Youthanasia and most of Cryptic Writings, but I don't know if I'd say Megadeth did a better transition. I mean, the bad parts of Risk are WAY worse than anything on Load/Reload.

I like almost all of Load/Reload. Even the clunkers like Ronnie are listenable. I only find a couple of them totally skippable. Better Than You, maybe Bad Seed and Attitude.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If we were to judge one album, Mega Dave did it much better with Youthanasia. As a whole, Metallica did it better. Load, Reload, have solid songs with some that seem too filler-y, and St. Anger has a good song or two with the rest being an uncohesive mess.

Youth is a great album. Cryptic is on par with Reload, and Risk is through through worse than St. anger. I'd go as far to say the best songs on Risk is worse than the worse than the worst songs on st. Anger. :lol: I'll take Purify or Sweet Amber over Insomnia or Crush Em.

11. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I refuse to accept that Load and Reload, well anything up to Death Magnetic even exists. Even Death Magnetic is kinda iffy in spots. It's mainly the production that kills it for me. It was at least thrashier than anything else up to that point. They would have been good albums if they hadn't been recorded by Metallica. The black record even disappointed me when I first heard it. But it wasn't a kick in the junk like the load and reload garbage they released.

On the topic of Mega Dave their downfall in my opinion started with Countdown. Even though the album kicks all sorts of ass, it pales in comparison to the earlier albums which are thrash classics. Youthanasia was pretty decent, although A Tout Le Monde was way overplayed. I admit, I never liked it to begin with so i'm probably a bit biased. Cryptic was a return to form of sorts and has some tasty riffs scattered about. Risk was just sad....no way else to say it. I can't really speak on anything else Megadeth has done because I just kinda lost interest in the band.

xzacx, AxeHappy and The906 like this.
  12. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

They aren't metal, but they are killer hard rock albums. I like them.

ZombieLloyd, Strobe and manu80 like this.
  13. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I kind of like Insomnia. Well, the original. The remaster did some really weird stuff with it.

I don't really think Youthanasia is directly comparable to Load/Reload. I mean, I'd still most definitely classify it as a metal album, it's just a slower one. I'd compare it more to the Black Album transition, maybe? Same deal with Cryptic Writings for the most part. It does have some stuff like "I'll Get Even With You," but the likes of FFF, She Wolf and Vortex all rock way harder than anything Metallica did after AJFA.

When I got a guitar, the first two riffs I played were the intro to Vortex and the second riff of Tornado of Souls. :mf666:

Alex79 likes this.
  14. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

What drew me to Metallica was the sound, to begin with. Although less heavy, Load and Reload have good production so I enjoyed them. Not in my "to have at all costs" list but they were a pleasant listening. St Anger and Death Magnetic are much worse.

ThePhilosopher likes this.
  15. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'd say Countdown is their Black Album. Both tried to go more of a radio-friendly route. Hell, apparently the Black Album is why Megadeth even went the less-aggressive route with Countdown. Both still have thrashy songs as well. Black had Through the Never and Holier Than Thou. Countdown had Skin O My Teeth and High Speed Dirt.

Youthanasia and Load/Reload have some comparisons. Different sound compared to their early works. Slower, more hard rock-oriented songwriting. I'm guessing the fact the tone of Youthanasia is still in-line with a Megadeth album, while Load/Reload are complete departures.

manu80, FILTHnFEAR and Viginez like this.
  16. Dayn

Dayn silly person

They're bloody good, extremely solid albums.

I'm just not much of a fan of them.

mongey likes this.
  17. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Load is very creative, and very ballsy just (well it was long to come out) after the black album.
    Still i've always found re load to be weaker. Songs are maybe too "basic" for metallica, idk. Just Fixxer was great on it, like outlaw thorn on load.
    But i understand in some way the "wtf?" after such a commercial success like the black album. But they always surprised people in a way at each release. Ride is not Kill em all with FTB as a ballad, Master is different more complex, Justice is more technical, Black is more a compilation of all that, maybe even more radio friendlt while staying agressive , Load is more rock oriented, St anger is just a big F°;:K you to everyone...until the last albums that i find less particular / original in a way...
    But no one can say they chose the AC/DC/Maiden/Airbourne path ;)

18. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Add me to the "Youthanasia is great, Cryptic Writings is alright, Risk can fuck right off" group. And yeah, I'll take Youthanasia/Cryptic over the Load albums. Cryptic at least had Trust and She Wolf.

Alex79, xzacx and manu80 like this.
  19. HeHasTheJazzHands

Cryptic was actually better than I remember, actually. :lol: Trust, Disintegrators, She-Wolf, Vortex, and FFF were all great songs. She-Wolf is one of Megadeth's best songs. Sin was pretty good, sounds like a Youthanasia B-side, which I think it actually was. Was demo'd for Youthanasia, but didn't make the cut.

Problem is you got songs like Secret Place that show what was to come... :ugh:

Alex79 likes this.
  20. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

I’ve said it before, I think Metallica is really a timeline of James’ mental status. I’ll agree with others...good riffs now and then (mostly Load) but A LOT of flam