Metalhead nutrition

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by MetalheadMC, Aug 19, 2015.

1. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I'm about to go on a calorific cut as I'm a little over what I would like to be (100kg, 22% body fat). What would you suggest in order to keep present muscle mass while losing body fat? Mainly as I've done a good amount of work to build the strength I have already (150kg squat, 180kg deadlift). My normal intake is approx 2200cals per day, going to shoot for around 1600 for cutting and 150g carbs. At the moment I'm intending on an 8 week cut.

Would you suggest keeping with lifting during this time (mainly compounds but sometimes isolation), or switching up for high intensity interval training? Current routine is lifting 4x per week and cardio in between.

2. MetalheadMC

MetalheadMC SS.org Regular

Jonsick-I would recommend a full body workout 2-3x a week with at least a day or two off in between each and Using compound movements to keep your strength and mass.

I would start off between 1700-1800 cals daily with 100g of carbs. Fill in the rest with more protein than fat.

Some cardio 2-3x a week wouldn't hurt also if you had time for it

3. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

Bumping this thread because my approach to nutrition is changing slightly.

specifically I'm really concentrating on absorption of nutrients.

i've mentioned this a few times before, i have crohns disease which mean i constantly deal with inflammation in my lower intestine. which means i struggle to absorb nutrients in my gut as efficiently as regular people.

i've been slowly putting weight on over the past few months, and with every bulk i get more symptoms. so here was my solution:

Tons of anti-inflammatory oils + probiotics.

specifically curcumin, a supplement called zyflamend, and a generic pro-biotic.

in addition to stopping my crohns symptoms, i noticed i had to take in slightly less calories and i was still able to maintain my body weight.

Anyone else concentrating on getting the most out of every meal?

4. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

I don't specifically (I'm in "don't care what I eat" mode anyway :lol:) but I know some of the Animal athlethes mentioned stuff like curcumin and pro-biotics on their forums a couple of times. I think Evan Centopani was big on maximising his nutritional benefits.

5. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

A good probiotic source would be sauerkraut; the homemade kind. That and kombucha.

But maximizing nutrients from your meals is a good general plan to becoming healthier. Replacing the useless starch (white rice, white bread) with the non-useless counterparts can help, as well as shifting over to eating proportionally less of it. Instead of eating less, just limit the useless calories.

I've recently grown fond of legumes again; fairly cheap and packed with protein and starch. They fill like no tomorrow. :)

6. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

IIFYM anyone?

7. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

^Macro counting is a dietary crutch. Sure, if it helps you keep under daily recommended, go for it. It's just rare from my experience that intake matches daily activity level. Common sense is more easily applicable. Don't drink anything but water and milk (in moderation), no candy, chips or junkfood, and portion control. Sooo many unneeded calories shaved right off your diet by not succumbing to dumb stuff.

8. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I really just eat. I try to avoid too much fast food and sugars, but I'm not a stickler about it. As long as I'm getting in a good amount of calories, protein, carbs, and fats, I'm okay. I need to start taking my supplementation a little more seriously in the realm of multivitamins, probiotics, and minerals. But that can be helped by using my Animal Paks more often.

9. EcoliUVA

EcoliUVA Not Gifted

Thought I would share something that helped me out as a guitarist. I recently fixed some sort of soreness/tendonitis that I had attributed to lifting + heavy guitar practice. It was in my picking hand brachialis area, and would tweak during bicep curls.

I recently switched from low rep (4-6), high weight exercises to a high rep (12-15) lower weight regimen, and have noticed both gains and loss of this pain after two weeks rest (lifting, not practicing) and a month of the new regimen. The pain had been persistent for 4 or 5 months prior.

Specifically, I started using Hunter Labrada's "5 moves to X" routines on YouTube (link). I'm not a doctor, but if anyone else has issues like the above, try dropping the weight and upping the reps. Hunter stresses pushing blood into the muscles, and I think that's ultimately what healed me up. I was ready to give up bicep exercises altogether because guitar is more important, but fortunately I don't have to...:lol:

10. jacksonguitar1111

jacksonguitar1111 SS.org Regular

You should consider replacing red meat with fish. I experienced that pork for example is very hard to digest (at least for me).

I replaced my breakfast jam with natural peanut butter (high quality one).
    And I also tried to cook a lot with vegetables and rice.

After my workout I drink around 500ml of milk mixed with a normal scoop of whey gold protein and (not everytime) half of a teaspoon creatine powder.
    If you are a fan of yoghourt cereal or whatever... Try to reduce sugar as much as possible if you want to eat clean.
    I am basically eating 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 natural yoghurt with a spoon of peanutbutter and one boiled egg for breakfast and it is awesome.

I am now at 8% bodyfat which is ridiculous for me personally.

Honestly depending on genetics and other factors you have to find your own way whats good for you.

As I mentioned before that low bodyfat can make you go crazy sometimes. I have experienced some drastic ups and downs if you focus to hard on your meals and try to cut everything though :/

As always... this is my personal opinion ;-)