Metal Combo for home purpose under 400$

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by neurosis, Nov 5, 2012.

1. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Hi guys.

I am moving on with my modest home equipment. I am still trying to acquire things since I moved to the US. I don't have much time so I don't want to spend much money.

I have been looking at some used Randall T2s but wanted to get some input from you.

Basically any recommendation of good metal amps for home use and possible recording.

Thanks a lot!

2. PureImagination

PureImagination SS.org Regular

I use 6505+ Combo for my room. I got it for $400 New. Its not too loud, the volume is perfect

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

peavey XXL

4. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

Have you considered a POD?

5. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

You can always check out a Digitech Gsp 1011, Line-6 Pod X3 Live, hd500, or HD pro if you stretch the money or maybe even a Avid 11-Rack they all do the metal/Home recording thing like a boss

6. Underworld

Underworld SS.org Regular

For home use I can only recommend digital stuff. I myself switch to a Line 6 tone port/computer based rig 4 years ago, tried some mini-amp but for appartment volumes and late-night practice, you just cannot beat the versatility and tone of digital rigs.

A line 6 Pod X3 or Pod HD should do the trick at a fair price.

7. damico529

damico529 SS.org Regular

Maybe try looking for a old vetta combo, got mine pretty cheap and it kicks ass.

8. DarkWolfXV

DarkWolfXV Excised n anatomised

6505+ 112 Combo if you can handle the volume of tube amp in your house, you can always hook up it to a cab, it sounds pretty close to the 6505+.

9. Basti

Basti not much space to wr

Seen some good answers here, but I was actually pretty amazed by a VOX VT 80+ I tried at the store. Plenty of features (maybe they're too many but whatever), good deal of gain and it actually sounds pretty cool. Worth a try.

10. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

My vote is for a 6505+ 112 Combo.

11. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I agree that the 6505+ combo is about the best you will get if you need a tube amp.

I also agree that something digital might be a better choice if you have volume concerns. A POD HD based rig would be awesome. I think those Fender Mustang III and IV amps are decent also. Worth checking out.

12. mili9152

mili9152 SS.org Regular

If you've decided on a 12" combo, I have the T2 and I only have good things to say about it.

I live in a small apt and first had a Blackstar Ht-5c. It has a 10" speaker. It sounds great, but once I got the T2, the Blackstar seems to lack low end.

I also have a Yamaha THR-5 which I love. But it has 2x 3" speakers so obviously it can't compare to a 12" combo.

I also used to have the Peavey XXL 2x12 and that was great too, but I have a thing for Randalls!

neurosis likes this.
  13. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I am pretty amazed by the Peavey 6505. DOn't know if it would be too loud though. I would have to mic it to record as well, right?

I am thinking of that combo the most.

Other things I have returned to in my thought process are:

ENGL e530 (really powerful to record and could eventually be expanded into a rack and cab setup)

Randall T2 (modes but apparently brutal setup for home and small sized venues)

Tubemeister 18 or 5 (if the powersoak is really that efficient and it records god metal tone direct I may want this)

Jet City Amps (IS there a model that can do direct recording?... just thinking about this feature. I know they have a plug to do it, but it's sold separately. So I wonder if these come with that feature installed.)

Blackstar (I don;t know... haven;t tried them really)

Mini setups (of which I haven't made up my mind about Tiny and Dark terror... etc)

What do you guys think of a mini-setup anyway. It would be okfor home purpose. But can it be expanded?

My main issue is I want to kill two birds at once on the cheap: Get something that can do metal in my bedroom so to speak. BE a versatile unit that I can keep for a long time.

14. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

It's actually intersting this pops up. I had been thinking of this for a while. It's the only one that would do Meshuggah out of the box. And older Mustaine...

Gotta think. THe Vetta II is the way to go if so, right? I heard the older ones are crappy.

15. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I am surprised you are suggesting the Fenders. From personal experience I know Fender (not the EVH) make amazing clean but can't really get into crushing crunch areas with the tone. Do you have any demos or info I could look up other than what's on google right now?

Thanks man!

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

You might be able to find some good Youtube videos....

They can get some heavy tones. I am not saying they are the best choice, but they are worth looking at. I usually play these or the Line 6 SpiderValve combos when I check out guitars at the store....

17. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

Out of the ones mentioned, the T2, e530, and of course 6505+ are the ones I consider. I've played the 6505+ 112 in Guitar Center and it sounded great at low and higher volumes, very tight with a heavy handed palm mute. The T2 of course will be just as crushing albeit smoother and less fizzy (though that is the Peavey's aggressive sound it is known for), it's just something you will have to choose. I have the T2 head and the cleans can be quite good with the right pick ups and with effects of course. Both the 6505+ 112 combo and the T2 combo have XLR direct outs on the back, but if I were to record I would slave out the preamp out or FX send on the back into my interface/DAW with the cabinet impulse of choice; much better sound and EQ options that way.

Now the e530... always GAS'd for one of these as they sound great and are pretty versatile. I would probably say the Engl is a bit more versatile than the Peavey and Randall, because it has the lo/hi gain switches. If you plan on jamming with a band, you will need to find not only a cabinet but a power amp. If you're just jamming at home through the computer and impulses it will suit you fine, but if you're just doing that you might as well use the free amp sims and impulses (including the TSE X30 which is the e530 clone, and it's damnnn close nearly identical sounding). But yeah a e530 and a 112 cab will get the job done too since it has the built in 1.5w power amp.

I've played the Tubemeister 18 on the 5w setting and it was pretty good. Very Marshally sounding, but you would need a fat sounding cab to get the more modern voiced lows of the other amps mentioned...

One thing you could consider is getting a power amp and cab of your choice and one of the new Legend II series AMT preamp pedals, that could also be used for impulses. Depends how portable you want to go and whether you will be jamming out later or not... :2c:

18. damico529

damico529 SS.org Regular

The vetta I and II are the same amps basically, they just look different.

19. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I see. Do you mind telling me how the AMT preamp can load impulses? If its' a pedal I'd like to know how that works.

I am also interested, since I didn't know it if as you say the Peavey combo can really be used to record direct. That would be the best of two worlds!

Thanks, man!

20. Sam MJ

Sam MJ Tries to be helpful

You can't load impulses onto it, it's analog, but it does have an output that has one, so you can use that straight out to an interface/FRFR monitor, or through the normal out to a poweramp + cab. :)