Mesa vertical 2x12 slant

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by narad, May 17, 2018.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Anyone have one? I currently have an awesome 4x12 (V30 x G12T-75) but I'm about to move to a smaller apartment. Thinking about downsizing and I have a JP-2C, was thinking the vertical rectifier 2x12 could be a good space saver and I'd still have an amp that was the right size to put on top of it.

Anyone have one? Opinions?

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

No experience with the vertical, but I had a horizontal version for a while and loved it. Backwards as it may sound, I only sold it because I stopped gigging and preferred a 4x12 at home :lol: as I recall, the vertical version is pretty close in dimension to a standard 4x12, so I doubt you'd miss the extra thump and air.

I saw a local band recently whose guitarist was running a JP2C into a vertical Recto 2x12 and he sounded monstrous, even without being mic'd up :2c:

Deadpool_25 and narad like this.
  3. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Never tried one... but lots of people like them. I always tend to go for the horizontal 2X12 cabs.

narad likes this.
  4. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

I owned one for a couple years and sold it. In hindsight, part of the problem was that I had it paired with an EVH 50w. Even so, it left me underwhelmed. I swapped the bottom V30 with a K100, then a Swamp Thang, and both combos were better than stock.

I bet the JP2C would pair better with it. It's very well built, but it sounded a bit thin given its size. Personally, I'd seek out one of those older Mesa vert 2x12s with the EVM12L, closed back bottom, open back top.

narad likes this.
  5. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Have you looked into the Orange vert? Not entirely a closed back with Neo Creambacks stock if that is of interest.

upload_2018-5-17_21-48-59.png

6. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Had one. Just sold it, but not because I didn’t like it...I sold it because I am using the custom vertical/offset 2x12 I had made (the Invective is too wide for the Mesa vertical 2x12). The Mesa is fucking awesome IMO and I’d have used it if it fit my amp. When the guy came over to buy the cab, we ran the Invective through it to test it and it sounded killer. If I’d still had an amp that fit it, id definitely have kept it.

sevenfoxes likes this.
  7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Ah yea, that's cool. The JP will fit on the 2x12 but it's still larger than need be. I'm not sure if tonally there's a reason to have it "oversized" -- about 23.5" wide IIRC, it pairs up perfectly in size to the Mark V series and I think that's why it's like that. I'm also considering a custom cab that would just be like 19", pair up exact with the JP-2C, and be better for the idea of saving space in a tiny Tokyo apartment.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yea, good call, trying but in a bit of a rush so I probably won't manage to track a nice one down in time.

Probably a great option but I don't want a bright orange/tweed cab in my living room :D

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  9. Caleb Joshua

Caleb Joshua SS.org Regular

They are my Favorite. Highly recommended.
    [​IMG]

Dineley and PBGas like this.
  10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Huh, that's weird -- from the stats I would have expected the widths to look way off. Thanks for that!

I also realize the horizontal 2x12 would be just about right, if I could flip the logo around.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  11. Deadpool_25

And fill in the holes from the casters and feet :)

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I wouldn't mind the holes aesthetically -- not sure they're large enough to make a sonic difference but I may just try to order this direct from Mesa that way. Then I can get the cool MESA/BOOGIE logo on it too.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  13. Deadpool_25

Mesa is awesome. I bet they’d do it.

14. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

It sounds great and with the added benefit of hearing yourself since one speaker is angled towards you. One thing I don't like about it is that it is still heavy. And it is expensive too.
    Try looking into the Mission Stagecraft guys build you a diagonal vertical 2x12. Cheaper and lighter.

https://stagecraftgear.com/product/black-jack-212sl-diagonal-heirloom/

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  15. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Man, that is massive though! I have a vertical 2x12 here from Matamp that's minute in comparison. Actually it's pretty astoundingly small...should go over and check they didn't throw 10"s in there...

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  16. MASS DEFECT

You want a light vertical 212 cab? Give the DV Mark Gambale sig a try. It IS LOUD and is only 25lbs. Those neo speakers sound like evh celestions. But they are 150W each.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  17. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Had a couple of these over the years. Really nice cabs! With the JP-2C head they work great!

18. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Anyone compare these vs. the horizontal straight Mesa 2x12 and could comment on in-the-room sound and recording between the two?

19. Deadpool_25

I can’t comment on the recording aspect, but in the room the vertical one does a much better job of projecting sound up towards your head, and maybe has a bit wider dispersion (horizontally).

They both sounded pretty similar to me overall, though the effect of having the speaker pointing more at your upper body is quite noticeable.

I didn’t notice a difference in low end or anything else in terms of sound quality (but wasn’t really that focused as I wasn’t actively trying to compare them).

narad likes this.
  20. MASS DEFECT

Raised up the ground (on casters or stands), they do sound very similar. The vertical has better spread (that's why PAs are vertically stacked). The horizontal will have more bass when it is planted on the ground. Hence you hear the vertical sounding a bit thinner when you are up close. But that is just an aural illusion.