Mesa JP-2C John Petrucci Signature Amp (MKIIC+ Reissue)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 15, 2016.

1. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

Incredible playing man! Subscribed.:hbang:

2. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Going to try one of these out tomorrow at one of the local shops. Looking forward to playing it.

3. Voron

Voron SS.org Regular

Thanks buddy! :metal:

4. Voron

Voron SS.org Regular

You'll be not disappointed at all! :)

Even the smallest Mark V:25 damn good head! :hbang:

5. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Onedge Custom

I have moved away form Mesa because of their prohibitive prices due to their local distributor (Oz). This post and subsequent offer (based on market feedback) however illustrates a company that can get it right. Well played...

6. Voron

Voron SS.org Regular

tried with my El Capistan tape delay, no problems with loop levels in any settings.

7. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King Contributor

8. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

9. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

Nothing sells amps better than absolutely killer customer service :hbang:

10. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I just wanted to take a moment and say the hype is real, this amp sounds amazing :eek:

Now to round up things for the classifieds as this isn't going back :lol:

11. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

^oh no....I can't afford/don't need/totally want! lol

12. Decipher

Decipher Ibanez Enthusiast

I got to try one out through my local dealer the other week and it's still haunting me! Took in my rack to test out the loop with my Eventide's and no issues.

Literally the first Mesa that's impressed me enough to consider getting rid of my Rivera gear..... Just can't afford a rig exchange at this time and especially with the exchange rate being what it is so I'll hold the GAS off for now. The cleans on this head impressed me the most. So much head room..... And the chunk out of this amp was so awesome. I didn't care much for the Shred modes as that really did take into the "modern metal" sound aka. D____. Don't need to boost this amp either. I literally could not tell any difference with having my OD808 on or not..... so I played it without.

13. Drakester

Drakester SS.org Regular

Would this be a sensible upgrade over a Mark V 25?

I'm really liking the samples and it seems is the Boogie I always have dreamt of. Doesn't help that I grew up being a fan of Petrucci and his tone.

How does it fare on bedroom/practice volumes? I only play small gigs and band practice mostly so I'm unsure it wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade or that it would be overkill to me (not to mention the price tag).

Thanks!

14. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

First, I'm assuming you are not 12 years old. Nothing suggests you are but its the internet and age does affect the advice I give.

"Upgrading" is a word we need to remove from out vocabulary because a lot of money gets wasted when a person "upgrades." If you like your Mark V 25, you will probably like the JP-2C a lot more. Given the price difference I am not going to say anything about whether it would be a sensible purchase or not, but it would not make sense to buy to a Mark V:35 and then a JP-2C.

Mesa has done a very good job with making all 100 watts useable, from low volume practice to high volume performance. The design of the amp "makes sense" from a players perspective. Is it overkill? Probably, but find me a good amp that isn't. :coffee: It is expensive, there is not way around that right now. Your Mark V: 25 is a good amp. It might be worth waiting for the JP-2C's to hit the used market before deciding if buying one would be sensible. :2c:

15. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Told you it was awesome! ;) I still have mine and am loving it! :wub: I managed to move it into the living room so I could crank it a bit more and it's so damn good! :lol:

16. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Yeah. I don't get their design.

Even if they had to make the chassis a little bigger..

17. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I haven't played with the loop on mine yet so not sure if it will be an actual issue but I'm guessing it probably won't be.

I'm still in the smiling while playing OMG this sounds good faze of ownership :lol:

18. odibrom

odibrom .

The chassis used is supposed to be 19" Rack compatible. Just remove the wood enclosure and add some rackears and you are done with it... or so I read somewhere...

19. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Makes sense...

20. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

I finally took some time to try the amp today through a Mesa 4x12. It is a very nice amp, no question. The EQ is very powerful on the amp. What a difference when you switch it in and out. I like the three channels. Lots of tonal variation in there. I was very interested in the rack mount version of this amp. I was thinking that I could get a nice 6 space short rack and put my power conditioner, Two-Notes live and the JP-2C for an awesome and compact package for my main rig for gigs and recording. The shred mode was nice but very trebly. I realize that is why it is on there though for a certain tone when you are playing a dropped tune setup. I was using a guitar from the store, PRS McCarty guitar with a rosewood neck...hardly the ideal setup for it.

All in all a very nicely designed amp that is really easy to use. Sadly, I don't think it is for me though. I really can't see me selling my XTC to get it. It delivers for me on so many levels when playing live and recording that it would be difficult to replace. I will try it again though and I'll bring one of my guitars and see if my mind changes.

Really nicely designed amp!