Mesa JP-2C John Petrucci Signature Amp (MKIIC+ Reissue)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 15, 2016.

1. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

It definitely seems like an annoyance but I think it's manageable and there are obvious workarounds as posted above. It's unfortunate that dude nuked his OP and some other posts in the thread, but left his complaints about the loop and the shipping costs with Mesa. His OP had some good info about his thoughts on the amp itself and considering how new it is, there aren't a ton of sources for that info yet. Fortunately folks like Silverwulf (good dude, valuable info and based it on a lot of experience with IIC+ models :rofl:) have posted some quality info about the amps too! :D

I really can't see myself wanting to bring another tube amp home simply from a "need" and neighbor noise/volume aspect, but the JP-2C is one of the VERY short list of tube amps that I still really want to play! :lol:

2. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Someone on Rig-Talk read the manual (funny how that helps :lol: ) and the issue being talked about/shown in that thread stems from the send level on the FX loop.

The Channel volume of the clean channel doubles as the send level. On the lead channels it's the gain that doubles as the send level. So if you play at low volume, with high gain, and have something like a delay it's basically the perfect storm for this issue, as was shown in the video. There's a split second where the delay is being driven by the Lead channel's send level while it's on the clean channel. The closer the clean's volume and leads' gain knobs become, the less issue you'll have.

Also, inferring from what some others were saying it's not a linear relationship, so if you're gain channels are at 3:00 you're clean volume likely doesn't also need to be at 3:00. You just can't have the gain that high on the lead and the volume on the clean nearly off like the OP was running the amp.

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Somebody posted a snippet from the manual that explains exactly what is going on with the loop:

"Unlike many other MESA amplifiers where the Channel MASTER also acts as an EFFECTS SEND control, the JP-2C required a
    different layout to ensure the authenticity of the MARK II-C+ circuit. Here Channel 1 uses that scheme (Channel MASTER doubling
    as a SEND Level control), but the two high gain Channels (2 and 3) see the GAIN control doubling as the EFFECTS SEND control.
    The reason for this has to do with the fact that it is really the LEAD DRIVE control on a MARK II-C+, which WAS responsible for the
    SEND strength in a II-C+. Regardless, despite this difference in both origination of the signal and control placement, the Channels
    balance out quite nicely and you should have no problem with signal levels at your processor(s)."

:ninja: :lol:

4. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

And I thought the studio preamp was complicated enough as it is.... XD

5. bnzboy

bnzboy youtube.com/bnzboy

very tempted. I will either repurchase v25 or get a JP-2C even though they are entirely different amps for different purposes.

6. Dabo Fett

Dabo Fett SS.org Regular

Horsham, PA but straight from Long Island
    Can someone tell me if it would possible to have the jp-2c rackmount along side say a pod hd and midi switch channels and fx simultaneously? Or do I need some other rack unit to control the midi? I know I'd need a midi controller floorboard obviously, but not sure if the pod can also work as a midi switcher

7. technomancer

I'm not a midi expert and this is pretty offtopic for this thread, but I believe you would just set the channel switch on the amp and effects switch on the POD to both change on the same midi message that you configure the foot controller to send. That assumes one of them has a midi through so you can chain them. That is obviously an oversimplification, but IIRC basically how it would work.

8. technomancer

I do have to say given the bitching from some people that Mesa would have probably been smarter to skip the mediocre at best cab clone and put a send and return volume on the loop for each channel as separate controls on the back :2c:

9. Dabo Fett

Dabo Fett SS.org Regular

Horsham, PA but straight from Long Island
    Thanks for the explanation, didn't mean to get off topic, just interested since it has midi. Thanks again

10. MESA Boogie

MESA Boogie SS.org Regular

Dear MESA/Boogie JP-2C Owners,

Feedback from all sources in the musical world is important to us, but none more so than from our own customers. We’ve been watching the feedback regarding the JP-2C from several of the popular forums, and while we are deeply flattered by most of it, it’s come to our attention there is a potential for mismatched Effects Loop levels between the Channels for some players under certain settings conditions, particularly those that use the amp at lower volumes. Consequently we have a voluntary update that addresses this possible discrepancy and creates more balanced Loop levels throughout the Channels when the amp is used for its intended purpose (a Clean sound in Channel 1 and two high gain overdrive sounds in Channels 2 and 3) at these lower playing volumes.

The feedback suggests that for many, the Effects Loop is operating satisfactorily and within the performance parameters needed. Those players may not want to part with their amplifiers for a week or two to receive an update even with the shipping cost covered and the update free of charge. For those of you experiencing difficulties matching levels, we can send a UPS Call Tag, have the amplifier picked up and update it and return it to you within a week (shop time) free of charge. Regardless of which of these categories you might fall into, should you be unable to be without your amp or simply choose to wait until time permits that, rest assured we will be happy to do the same for you or subsequent owners at no charge any time during the 5-Year Transferrable Warranty.

The update addresses the concerns most commonly associated with the feedback we have noted on the forums. These concerns arose in applications where the playing volumes were low and/or a high setting of the MASTER in Channel 1 (as compared to Channels 2 and 3) produced excessive volume in the first repeats using a Delay. The update addresses these concerns and provides a well-matched Effects blend–again–when the amplifier is used for the intended use stated above and the Channels are relatively close volume-wise.

However, since performance of the Effects Loop is greatly affected by the settings of both the preamp (GAIN and Tone Controls) and power amp (MASTER and PRESENCE) in each of the Channels, it is still possible to experience SEND and/or RETURN level differences under certain conditions. Namely those which deviate from the Clean/Gain/Gain Channel dedication noted above and/or extreme GAIN and MASTER differences Channel to Channel. In an amplifier with this much GAIN and output power, as with any hot-rod, an application must be determined and a relative tuning for that application applied to achieve stability for the widest number of “drivers”.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate greatly your willingness to help us address this concern early on and assure the greatest level of satisfaction from your new amplifier.

Sincerely,

MESA/Boogie, Ltd.

11. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I've always been a Mesa fanboy, but goddamn what a classy move. This just continues my love of Mesa as a company. As if I needed more of a reason to want a JP-2C.

12. katsumura78

katsumura78 SS.org Regular

Question I have for Mesa is will this effect the performance of the loop at all when playing at high volume after you get the mod done? Or is the mod only there to address the lower volume playing ? Thanks guys!

13. technomancer

I had read elsewhere the "fix" was adding a separate send volume control for the clean channel. Is that not the case?

14. MESA Boogie

We moved the location of the Ch1 Master pot, from before the Send to after the Return. This change only affects Ch1, and does not affect the tone at all. The Gain control now becomes the Send level, instead of the Master. Thanks!

15. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Thanks for clarifying, this is very useful.

16. MESA Boogie

The latest JP-2C clip, with Angel Vivaldi!

17. Voron

Voron SS.org Regular

My humble test of this incredible head!!!! :hbang:

18. Rich5150

Rich5150 SS.org Regular

Always dig your Video's, Don't understand them language wise but the playing is off the hook:hbang:

19. Voron

Voron SS.org Regular

Thanks man! Sorry, all in French, I'm not as good in spoken English to do reviews. Maybe in the future :)

20. Kryss

Kryss Your new god!

I'm seriously thinking I'm going to dump all my line 6 gear in the next couple months and get one of these. everything I've seen and heard from these online sounds incredibly good.