Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 212???

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mikeitloud, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Mikeitloud

Mikeitloud SS.org Regular

I may have an opportunity to trade my Orange Rocker 30 112, for this Nomad 212. He's had some Mods done to it, such as :
    Tone mod, Mud mod, and effects loop mod, all done by our local amp tech Guru. apparently these mods make a great amp in to a really great amp?
    I really love my Rocker, for rock, but it doesn't delve in to the metalish sound very well... also doesn't have an effects loop. I'm pretty sure I'll trade, but need a little reassurance if anyone can shed some more light, would be helpful.

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I would do the trade unless you're set on having an Orange amp.

At least demo the Mesa :2c:

3. Mikeitloud

Yes, I plan on demoing the Nomad this morning, I've had the Orange for about a year, and while it does sound Great, putting any pedal in front of it sounds like ass, the clean channel has a volume, and that's it. I wish I could keep them both....Thanks for your input

4. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Do you flip stuff a lot? The Nomad will be hard to move.

5. Mikeitloud

I'm really trying not to flip stuff as much as I have, I'm really quite happy with all my gear, but the Orange just doesn't have what I'm looking for, versatility, the orange has clean and crunch, and no effects loop, no reverb, that's it. The Nomad just seems to offer a whole lot more, 3 channels, clean crunch and then even more gain on the 3rd channel, graphic eq, effects loop, half power switch, silent recording.
    I think it will be a great fit in my studio

6. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Is it the 45 or 55? The 45w uses a dyna-watt power section with EL84s while the 55w uses class A/B power with 6L6GCs. I definitely prefer the 6L6 sound over the EL84. Both have enough switching options that it should easily get you into metal tones. I'd say it's a definite upgrade from the orange unless you really want the wooly fuzz sound that most orange amps do. No brainer if it's the class A/B 55 watt version IMO.
    EDIT: I glossed right over the title stating it's the 100. Totally worth the trade by a wide margin.

7. Mikeitloud

Hey, thanks for all the support, I ended up trading straight across! Finally..... I am now the proud owner of a Mesa! Can't wait to start tweaking my sound! Pictures and sound clips to come

cGoEcYk likes this.
  8. Mikeitloud

Well, All I can say is Wow! it sounds even better than I expected, I'm partially deaf now that I've messed around with it, even on the half power setting it's LOUD as %$#!

Question? Can I remove the tubes that aren't being used in the 50 watt setting?
    I doubt I'll ever use the full 100 watts. I'd like to have a couple of spare tubes, just in case....

[​IMG]

9. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Nice! Those things pop up for sale in my area from time to time and I'm always tempted to grab one.

Mikeitloud likes this.
  10. cwhitey2

Awesome glad you did you did the trade, it sounded like a no brainer for ya!

As for pulling tubes, does it have a watt switch?

11. Mikeitloud

Thanks! So glad I was able to get it, really love it. Yes it does have a switch, I also read in the Manuel to put the speaker output jack in the 4 oHm jack to ensure proper impedance? They are 16 Ohm speakers, Black shadow C90.
    I hadn't done this until I read it, I just flipped the switch... It actually changed the sound, and in a good way! I just want to yoink a couple tubes out of her
    [​IMG]

12. cwhitey2

Lowering the watts will or should cause it to break up a little earlier.

I'm not a know it all but I don't think you can or would want to remove the tubes if there is a watt switch. Plus it will really mess with the ohms :2c:

13. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Looks awesome. One of the bands locally when I was like 19 used a Nomad and it sounded so awesome. Great score.

14. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

With most Mesa class A/B power sections you cannot pull tubes. And I think half power mode is still 60 watts which is incredibly loud as you're hearing. You can throw an mxr 10 band eq in the loop and reduce the volume slider on it to attenuate a bit as well.

Mikeitloud likes this.
  15. Mikeitloud

Ya , I'm not gonna mess with it

16. Mikeitloud

Right on! Thanks man, such a great score!

17. Mikeitloud

That's a great idea, with the eQ pedal. I was thinking about an actual attenuator, but I don't want a cheap one, gotta save some money, and get a good one.....

cwhitey2 likes this.