Mesa Boogie 20/20 - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by gtrbmart, Sep 14, 2009.

1. gtrbmart

gtrbmart SS.org Regular

I'm talking to a guy willing to sell me his Mesa 20/20 for $595 (and shipping, I assume though that hasn't been mentioned yet). I'm really into the power amp but it seems like prices for this power amp are all over the place. I tried talking to a guy selling one for $300 but he never responded to my emails. I've seen some for sale for up to $1000. I can't figure out what a good used market value for these amps is.

So I'm forwarding the question to you. Is $595 for a chrome face Mesa 20/20 worth it?

2. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

$400-$500 is pretty regular for the Mesa 20/20 and the Marshall 20/20. $300 would have been great, at $1000 you could have bought 2 from someone else and had money leftover.

3. gtrbmart

gtrbmart SS.org Regular

Well the other problem is that it seems that no one is selling any right now. This guy seems to be the only reasonably priced one among all the others. I mean, if you know of anyone selling one for a good price, let this guy know. I'll buy it up quick.

4. gtrbmart

gtrbmart SS.org Regular

5. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

A Marshall 20/20 just went on eBay for < $500. I actually significantly prefer the Marshall. The tone seems to be a little tighter, plus the unit is actually a little shallower, and will fit (barely) into a shallow rack (like the SKB x-rack), where the Mesa is too deep.

6. diseasewithin

diseasewithin SS.org Regular

Mesa 50/50 the originals go for 400-500 on ebay all the time. just sold mine for 425. More head room.

7. gtrbmart

gtrbmart SS.org Regular

I've heard a lot of problems with ventilation with the Marshall though but I suppose that's not something I can't fix.

I'm really torn between spending less money now and getting a 50/50 or a Carvin TS100, having to buy a new rack case, then eventually getting a 20/20 in the future (maybe) or getting the 20/20 now, throwing it in my rack and being done with it.

I am mainly asking if $595 + 30 shipping sounds like a lot in the current Mesa market. Judging from Harmony Central reviews, it looks like about the same amount people are buying them used now, with them going for 400-500 a few years ago before they raised the list price.

8. maat

maat 'stortion junkie

If ventilation is a problem, take the top of the chassis off. It's going into a rack case anyway, right?
    I'd advise to spend less money now, and save for the 20/20 since that's always going to be nagging you. $595 + S&H sounds about right, I was looking form a 20/20 last year. Everybody trying to sell them were asking for $600+ to $900+.

9. gtrbmart

gtrbmart SS.org Regular

Yeah, it's fixable for sure.

I mean, if the price sounds right I might just go for it. I may not get a chance for a while because it looks like they're all disappearing off the used market. It will definitely make my rack more portable in general which I find a good thing because I'm going to be bringing it around with me to school etc...

...but it's money! :wallbash:

Woah, I never actually looked at the dimensions of the 20/20. Now that I know that it won't fit in my rack and now that I've found a TS100 for sale in its own 2space rack, I believe that tips the scales enough for me to save $200 and not get the 20/20!

10. Decca

Decca SS.org Regular

Are you still looking?
    I have pm'd you....I am selling my 20/20

Decca

11. Ketzer

Ketzer Good news, everyone!

Send me that PM, I'm in the market for a power amp, as well.

12. Guitarwiz2k

Guitarwiz2k Tech Metal Guitarwiz

I may as well throw my 2 cents in since we're talking about an amp that I've researched to death with my buddy and I and he got one, I got the other, and I'm still using mine, and he burnt 2 of his up.

Yes folks, we're talking about a friendly competition between friends about who's got the better power amp, and I won that bet. :)

The marshall sounds great, and it would look good in a rack where you have all marshall, and since I use the JMP1 you'd think I'd prefer it, but the mesa has a darker sound, way more options on the back pannel, built like a tank, and of course, has enough fans to keep it cool.

I'm now going on over 8 years with my 20/20 and it's NEVER given me trouble, until lately where it's hinting for new tubes. It does have a darker sound than the marshall, but that just adds to the warmth you want with Tube warmth anyway, and putting something like a Marshall JMP1 or even an Engl e530 like I tried this weekend, sounds GREAT!

Basically, unless the mesa is $700.00 bucks, it's well worth it. a new Mesa 2:fifty goes now for $1099.00.

13. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

This is not a 20/20 4 sale thread, I do not want to see anyone else trying to sell one in here.

My :2c: on topic is the Mesa is the pick of the 1RU's however you are better off grabbing the less expensive 50/50, try to make room for it. It is a better amp and it has more head room, the 20/20 can be just enough for most situations but only just.

14. ripit007

ripit007 Guest

Listen Dick! The only reason I posted my 20/20 for sale is because there were a few (see above) looking for one.

Did I start a thread "20/20 for sale"? Nope! Whats the big freagin' deal, this site is supposed to be a way for folks to share ideas and network a bit. If one wants one and I have one, then more than one benefit and everyone is happy - except for the "Superior Moderator". Give me a break.... Douchbag! :fawk:

15. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

Your first post was to spam your gear without following forum guidelines which was correctly deleted. Your second post is to insult a me a moderator for doing my job. :wavey: Go network somewhere else :fawk:

16. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I owned a 20/20 many years ago, it was really nice. I liked it a LOT more than the 50/50.

17. meisterjager

meisterjager Now available in HD

So, the Mesa 20/20... big question for me is 'is it loud enough'? Like s7eve said, I'd be paranoid about running out of volume

18. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

^I think you'd be more worried about whether it has the headroom for you, rather than volume. Unless you had to do a stupidly loud gig, I really can't picture not having enough volume with 20 Mesa Boogie watts through a serious 4x12.
    You currently run a 6505, which suggests to me you favor the tone of modern tube amps which rely more on preamp gain than power amp saturation, and in that case 20 watts probably wont be enough if your gigging and rehearsing.
    My general experience with fairly low wattage tube amps (15-30 watts) is while that power amp saturation does some sexy things tone wise if you're looking for a less modern sound, it's the complete opposite of what you want for modern styles really, which is where high wattage heads come into their own by having power amps that don't break up easily.

19. Ketzer

Ketzer Good news, everyone!

Yeah... Decided to go this route as well... I'm set on a Peavey Classic 50/50 now for the rack i'm building, that I'm going to run with very clean tubes, so as to minimize the power stage distortion I'm getting. I want most, if not all, my distortion to come from my preamp

20. meisterjager

meisterjager Now available in HD

Interesting... I've always thought a bit of powertube distortion was quite desirable. I guess, though, I never run my 6505 with the volume over 3, so I never get any kind of help from the powertubes. I'm thinking a Stereo 2:50 might be perfect for me.

What I'm also wondering is maybe the 20/20 in stereo into my cab might give me enough oomph. Am I right in saying that Mesa poweramps don't run independantly from one another? I notice the Marshall poweramps have power and standby each side, whereas the Mesa's don't.