Mesa 4x12 Problem

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Killadelphia, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Killadelphia

Killadelphia SS.org Regular

Ok, so I've had this mesa 4x12 slant cab for about 3 years now and all the sudden the sound quality is worse, at first the volume just started going all wonky during band practice, it almost sounded like someone was turning the volume half way down, then back up then down and so on, and now it doesnt have the same low end punch that it had before... I am running an axe fx standard through a crown into the cab. It has to be the cabinet because the levels on the axe fx do not change while the problems persist and my rig sounds perfectly fine when playing through my other 2x12 cab. I had practice yesterday and I didnt have the extreme volume problems like i had before but the tone was very weak like its not pushing the same amount of power as before.

Has anybody had this problem before? You think one of the wires in the speakers are getting loose? Maybe a blown speaker? I have no experience working with wires, so taking a look at it myself wouldnt do much.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

If it were a blown speaker the problem would be consistent. Open up the cab and make sure all the wires and jacks are snug.

You may also try hooking up your gear to different power outlets in different rooms to eliminate or find a problem with the power.

3. Killadelphia

Yea, I got band practice tomorrow so hopefully i'll have time to open it up and have my buddy take a look at it... and i'll also plug it in somewhere different!

You think the wires would get loose over time?

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I haven't had that problem myself, but it's completely feasible since there's so much volume/vibrations going on inside the cabinet that may have shaken them loose a little bit.

5. Killadelphia

Alright thank you! I'll take a look at it tomorrow!

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'd try the cab with a different amp before making any assumptions about the source of the problem. Maybe something is wired up wrong? Does the power amp have a bridged/stereo mode that could be setup wrong? Impedance mismatch maybe? Are you pushing the amp really hard?

Volume problems always make me suspicious of the power amp first. Just a thought. :2c:

7. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

If your setup works fine with another cab using the same speaker cable, I would think it has to be a wiring issue with your 4x12. Something's loose.

Blown speaker(s), like TWAT said, would be a constant issue.