Megadeth finally wins a Grammy

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Feb 12, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I know plenty of guys who would look at your list of bands there and classify all as too mainstream.

Plus, GWAR? I mean, I like GWAR, but honestly, it's a bit embarrassing to admit I do.

2. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Some good bands were actually featured for once, like Gojira, Periphery and Baroness and they give it to Megadeth? :lol:

Ah well, at least Snarky Puppy won a Grammy, even though I didn't really like Culcha Vulcha as much as We Like It Here or the family dinners, but it's nice that one of the most talented collection of musicians out there are getting recognized.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

i know it's bull..... Megadeath's album was not good enough this year to win a grammy. especially when compared to Purple or Magma imo.

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The more obscure the category, the more likely the nominees are actually good. The jazz categories especially seem to be full of artists and performances nominated by genre experts. Like, Donny Mccaslin's solo on a Maria Schneider Orchestra album rightly got nominated for best solo of the year, and she's anything but well-known, even to casual jazz listeners. It's the pop categories where it is exclusively the most popular bullsh*t. Thus, the grammies aren't entirely useless, just what you see on TV is. The pop categories are the equivalent of the oscars nominating the highest grosses of the year (ie, Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad being nominated).

5. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Seriously funny tho!

I don't really follow music awards much, but am listening to Megadeth as I type this. Nice coincidence.

6. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

Isn't that the very definition of pop music, whatever is most popular with the masses?

I'd say the actual quality of pop music was last relevant in the early 80's. Since then it's been the self fulfilling prophecy of "push whatever the execs say will be popular". Imho.

Also, Megadeth? If this was for Rust In Peace I'd take it more seriously. They have been average at best since Countdown, again imho.

7. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

Let me rephrase that. I would not check out a band just because that band was nominated for a Grammy. A Grammy nomination does equate to amazing music to me IMHO YMMV etc.

For example I've listened to some Periphery and can't get into them. I wouldn't think, "Hmm they were nominated for a Grammy. I should check them out again".

I'm not some hardcore tr00 Metalhead but Grammy represents .... pop music to me. Call me crazy call me a pervert.