Meditating with Catch 33

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by ShreddingDragon, Dec 17, 2010.

1. ShreddingDragon

ShreddingDragon Silence the discord

Not sure if this should be here, in General Music Discussion or which section...but here goes.

Has anyone tried this? Everyone who has heard the album knows it's definetly a mesmerizing, hypnotical experience. Now I don't know anything about Yoga or meditation in general, but I've always wanted to take an hour of time, simply sit down on the floor and listen to the whole album, loud, eyes closed.

So I just tried it, and it really did put the music into a new perspective. At times I was able to sort of ignore everything; the music, my body, breathing, the room. I knew the music was playing, but I didn't interpret its rhythms; instead it just flowed through. Especially the quiet parts were effective. Mostly I tried to concentrate on my breathing, and to just keep the eyes closed and examine what I "see" there.

Overall I was slightly disappointed though, because I was expecting to get drawn in much more powerfully. Maybe the problem was that my back and legs began aching quite a bit, and I had to break concentration to change my pose a couple of times.

But, at the end of Sum where the clean part begins, I laid down on my back and suddenly felt this crazily powerful sense of motion - as if I was inside some airplane doing stunts in the air, or as if the floor was silently shaking. It was interesting! :lol:

Any experiences, thoughts?

BlackStar7 and ashek like this.
  2. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

I only "meditate" at parties or with friends and noone of those people would enjoy listening to Catch 33 all the ay through. :lol:

3. anthonyferguson

anthonyferguson SS.org Regular

Awesome man... I know that feeling of being in motion, I get it when I'm just dropping off to sleep. It annoys me too much to just let it happen.
    But I'd like to try this. Great idea!

4. RaceCar

RaceCar Que te jodas.

I sat on the floor no more than 2 months ago and listened to Racecar by Periphery with my eyes closed, meditating. It was awesome. Motions swirled through my body, at one point I felt like I was on the Gravitron (amusement park ride where you are in a spaceship and it just spins in circles and pulls you against the wall). It was really intense.

5. Meatbucket

Meatbucket The Minotaur

I usually use some Japanese traditional meditating music...or Animals as Leaders. I'll give Catch 33 a shot. Mind's Mirror does me make a happy camper.

6. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

I love listening to 10 000 days by tool and catch 33 while taking a bath :hbang:
    Much more awesome than sitting on the floor all the time :lol:

leandroab likes this.
  7. ShreddingDragon

ShreddingDragon Silence the discord

Yeah, the sense of motion was much like an amusement park ride, and it does happen to me sometimes too when I'm just about to fall asleep.

Speaking of which, a few years ago I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time and was captivated and impressed by the strange flying colors section near the end. Then a couple of days later when I was waiting for sleep, I began concentrating on the black image you have when you keep eyes closed...and slowly I started seeing all sorts of flying geometrical shapes and swirls and sceneries no doubt influenced by the movie, and that same, strong feeling of motion came over me. It was really interesting to feel - even though it felt quite scary too - it was like "Whoa, I wonder where I'll end up if I keep at this..." :lol: Finally I just had to open my eyes because the sensation of motion was getting almost frightening...but I suppose it was all just a method for the body to relax by.

Something like that is what I'd like to experience the next time I try Catch 33. :D

8. Meatbucket

Meatbucket The Minotaur

Sometimes it's better to feel than to think.

(I'll punch anyone in the crotch that says "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!")

Daiephir and leandroab like this.
  9. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

haha yes I've done this :yesway:

10. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

haha yes I've done this :yesway:

11. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negative™

This guys knows what's up...

I put Dancers to a Discordant System once and went to take a shower. Fucking shampoo foam everywhere from headbanging to the groove...

It's so awesome when you're walking in the street and a music starts with the rhythm matching your walking. You feel so epic! It happens with me all the time.

12. heavy7-665

heavy7-665 SS.org Regular

One of my favorite zone out songs.

13. ohmanthisiscool

ohmanthisiscool SS.org Irregular

^ yes to sextape. I love chillin with that track, and I covered it once.

I first had the idea of meditating to music with kaki kings "legs to make us longer" then I tried Nothing. It may sound funny, but the rythems and all of obsidian can really lose yourself in the trance fashion which is repitition. I don't have 33 but might have to check it out for sure. I think cloudkicker is good for chilling/just getting lost in the rythmic repitition changes and such, as well as the more traditional "ambient" tracks

14. Kr1zalid

Kr1zalid Archrocker

There was a time when I used to listen to songs thorugh headphones connected to my phone~~ I pay attention to every beats, rhythm, stuffs in those songs that I listen to... Even if it's 10 minutes, 20 or 30....

I can really feel something on every songs I listen that way~~ And Catch 33 is just an awesome album :yesway:

Sometimes however, I don't really get the "awesome" feel...... :scratch:

15. ashek

ashek eh?

I've tried meditating to Liquid Tension Experiment 2, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects and Tool's 10 000 days.

I must say these 3 albums gave me a wider approach to music. I've tried listening to Catch 33 while riding my bike on a long journey and it gives me more focus on the road. Gotta try Catch 33 for meditation. =)

16. stryker1800

stryker1800 Sweet Pickle

For true meditation, silence is the best way to go, though can make things a little more challenging but the outcome is much stronger. listening to music to create a meditative state is useful but I find it's affects less long lasting.

17. darbdavys

darbdavys SS.org Regular

Ambient for meditation. Or some tranquil psychedelic music.

For more intense meditation, with more bodily experience, Shpongle is the way to go, in my opinion.