Mayones Setius 7 - Metallic sound from pickups? Messed up frets?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Frey, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Hello again forumites. I'd hoped to make a happy NGD (hopefully still will eventually) but first there are some pressing issues.

To get straight to it, I just purchased a Mayones Setius 7 and the pickups are producing a very unpleasant (metallic?) sound. I'll attach a short video demonstrating. I've adjusted the height but even when insanely low, I'm still getting these sounds. It's a JB/59 7 string set if it matters.

Regarding the frets, they all look like they have oxidation (they look dirty and unpolished) and even small spots of rust. Getting my camera to focus on the frets was not working out.. Video below. (Edit: Will try to get a better video or pics)

So, what do you think is causing the sound issues? Do you reckon the frets just need a good polish?

As always, thank you for your time and wisdom!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

Sounds like some part of your guitar is resonanting... Might be the strings above the nut. Try something like a fretwrap. If this doesn't fix your problem, it might be the part behind the bridge.

The frets look like they just need a good polish. I use AAA steel wool!

Frey and goobaba like this.
  3. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

+1 to what Turgon said.

For fret polishing, I lay strips of tape on either side of a fret to protect the board and use 0000 steel wool polish the frets (just quickly move the tape from fret to fret as you go). Tape up the pickups too so that you don’t get steel filings all over them.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

yeah try a hair scrunchie/fretwrap or a piece of foam to mute the strings above the nut.

Frey likes this.
  5. bastardbullet

bastardbullet need cookies

Besides the nut, try to tape the strings before the bridge. Or put a piece of foam under them. I love tom bridges, i’ve two 7’s with toms but unfortunately have the same issue with both.

Frey likes this.
  6. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

As other have said, mute the strings behind the nut, behind the bridge and also check if any of the screws on the guitar are loose, especially in the pickup frames. Sometimes a screw in the pickup frame can be loose and it will pickup the vibrations and cause a metallic sound, sometimes even the springs for the height adjustments can resonate in which case it's best to replace them with pickup tubing cut to lenght. If the problem can be heard when played unamplified as well it's not going to be an issue with the pickups.

Frey likes this.
  7. odibrom

odibrom .

in order to understand if this is a fret thing, distorted sounds also distort the analyses of its possible origin. Can you record the guitar without dirt tones?

In the until next video or reply, do check all screws, bolts and nut and tighten them all, those on the tuning pegs as well as the nuts that secure the tunners to the headstock. If it is fret thing, try to loosen the neck a bit and check all frets, and all strings in search for interference. It can be a local fret problem (one fret and one or 7 strings) or it can be a general problem of bad setup...

Frey likes this.
  8. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

That sound is almost surely just the strings ringing out behind the nut or bridge. I have some 8-strings with in-line headstocks, so I’m very familiar with dealing with it. Just mute the strings with some foam or a fretwrap, etc.

The frets should just polish up. Presumably Mayones did nice fretwork, so unless there’s a lot of play wear, they should be fine.

Frey likes this.
  9. odibrom

odibrom .

... may also be a bit of back bow, hence the need for every fret check on all strings with clean tone amp settings and no FX...

Frey likes this.
  10. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

A big thank you to you all!

As Turgon originally suggested as well as most of you other fine folks, the issue was indeed solved with a fret wrap. I've never experienced this despite owning quite a few guitars :shrug:

As simple as it was, I probably would have never tried it because I assumed something more serious was wrong and therefore would have never tried to record with it and never tried the fret wrap..:blahblah:

I'm really surprised and very happy that it was resolved so easily.

Given the unanimous opinion, I'll give the frets a good polish tomorrow. There is wear in strange places, like random spots way high on the neck. There's a real nasty little gouge around fret 15 and the low E. That said it seems like Mayones may have in fact done a bad job or the seller (Pitbull Audio) is somehow responsible.

Really liking her so far despite the small issues, hope to put together a cool video or something once the frets are all clean.

Thank you all very much again! :)

11. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Wow I have never heard a guitar ring out so badly like that! Glad its an easy fix though.

Frey likes this.
  12. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

My good man, might I ask where you get foam for these types of applications? I ask you specifically since you have two TOMs yourself.

The fretwrap handled 95% of the issue but I'm getting some resonance from below the bridge also.

Try as I might, I've never been able to find the kind of foam people use for things like this or home-made fret wraps, etc..

13. bastardbullet

bastardbullet need cookies

Actually, i just stole the pieces from my wife’s shoe & jewelry boxes. You may look for “high density foam” as for a search option. Another friend of mine just cut a piece from a yoga mat. As a second alternative; you can just tape the strings below the bridge.​

14. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Just a strip off of an old sock and shove it under the strings or put duct tape across the top of the strings

15. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I actually ended up acquiring some while at my fiancee's parents yesterday. Her mother gets a monthly makeup box thing and sure enough it had some perfect little sections of foam in it. I got a huge haul of it :D

MacGyver would approve :agreed:

bastardbullet likes this.
  16. Hussain Al Saleh

Hussain Al Saleh SS.org Regular

THanks for the information