Mayones Duvell v Regius?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Jonathan Thomas, Sep 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jonathan Thomas

Jonathan Thomas SS.org Regular

Looking for the definitive metal/hard rock guitar and I think I've boiled it down to one of these two.

I need it to be tight for palm muting. And I need plenty of saturation AND definition - if that's possible.

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome, thank you.

2. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Have you ever played one?

I would HIGHLY dissuade you from spending £3,000+ on a guitar that you haven't played, based on what people say online.

I have tried 6 different Mayones of varying price points and I didn't like any of them. They're good quality etc, but something about it just wasn't for me.

3. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

This is correct.

The biggest difference between Duvell and Regius are neck shape and construction afaik.
    Duvell feels more like an Ibanez RG, Regius feels like an ESP Horizon, to put it in simple terms.

4. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

I have both and love both.

My Duvell is a baritone scale so is better for rhythm and the regius for leads. I would 100% try one if you can, as I know people who don't find one or other comfy for whatever reason.

5. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

This was exactly my experience, they are my favorite looking guitars, but just something about them isn't worth the price tag to me.

6. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

I guess this applies to a lot of companies like Anderson and Suhr. They are well built but some models were way too overpriced. I still want one though.

I bought half of my guitars without ever playing them just because I had no choice to try them out. I got lucky and enjoy what I have bought but now I know what kind of features I am looking for a guitar.

7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

you arent asking about a Squier strat vs a BCRich custom shop baritone Warlock... you are asking about two Mayones models, both are equaly great, both would do the job fine. Just change the pickups if you need for your taste

You pretty much are asking about which guitar shape would be the best for you......Pick the one you like the most!.... it aint that hard bro

8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

The tone you're describing concerns pickups, not what guitar you want.

Tell us what specs you like and we can help you with choices but "tight, saturated" has very little to do with guitar and a lot to do with pickups and amps.

A-Branger likes this.
  9. Vede

Vede SS.org Regular

I have both, love both. Biggest differences between the two:

Duvell
    - “Pointy” aesthetic
    - Jumbo SS frets
    - Bolt-on neck (tends to be a little snappier)
    - No tone knob
    - SD Nazgul/Senitent pups (generally)
    - Less expensive than Regius (generally)

Regius
    - “Rounded” aesthetic
    - Jumbo nickel frets (generally)
    - Neck-through
    - Has a tone knob
    - BK pickups (generally)
    - More expensive than Duvell (generally)

Both are absolutely top-notch instruments. Pick the one with the features and aesthetics that appeal to you the most, knowing that pickups can be easily swapped.

10. Jonathan Thomas

I disagree that pickups can change a bass heavy/flubby/muddy guitar into a tight guitar. I have enough experience to know that it's more than just a pickup change that'll fix inherent flubbiness. Saturation, I might give you that one, fair enough.

I've played both before and liked both. I played both yesterday and was edging toward the deeper sounding Duvell. It might have been the pickups but the Regius sounded a bit bland in comparison - it had a JB and a Jazz maybe. However, I appreciated it and liked the Regius too, would like to try a few more Regius models with different pickups.

I wouldn't know where to start with choosing the right pickups for a Regius though. I really like the SDs in the Duvell.

Wolfhorsky and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Regius because neckthrougj is best.

But actually legend because Tele shape is super best

12. Jonathan Thomas

Have you tried both? Reason I ask is because they sound different, it's really not just about the shape. You're right in one respect, they will both serve the purpose well.

Some of the comments are quite condescending on here. New user does not = clueless. But cheers anyway.

13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Go used. Get both. Sell the one you like the least after a month or so testing through your own rig.

14. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

I have both and they are really good instruments. Probably my favourite instruments so far and I have owned a lot.

I have to disagree that a Regius feels like a Horizon though.

15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

aahhh sorry if I seemed rude bro, wasnt my intention

but its like asking what would sound better, a RG, RGA, or S Ibanez?

yes, both guitars have different necks/body woods, which could give you a difference in tone (depending on how much you are inot the "tone wood") neck construction, and then the other difference is on the pickups. Which can be easily changed. The rest its jsut a body shape difference. Both guitars are of the same quality and specs (unless you get a baritone version of them)

so yeah, go with the one that looks prettier to you bro.... then change pickup if you need to

^that

reason why to my reply is because reason why of your question. ....I want a "thigh" guitar.... Which is way more to do with your signal path and rig. Also going with string gauges and scale lenght and preffered tunning.

You could start by giving us more backstory of what you have tried and what you are after. What guitars you had before, if you are looking inot the woods/construction, compare the ones you have own over the years vs these and go from there

but pick the one thats prettier to you ;) would make you pick it up more and play more

Jonathan Thomas likes this.
  16. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Have never played either, only have drooled over them and read alot.

There have been posts made by forum members who have played some of the finest guitars and who have gone through literally hundreds who have said Duvell are the bread and butter while some other models sound lifeless.

Obviously there are others here who have both models and do not feel this way so I guess you would just have to try and see but for my blind test I would go with the Duvell.

17. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Why not a Setius? It's oftentimes overlooked but great tone and simple. I personally like the Setius and Regius for different reasons. The Duvell while a fine guitar is just too pointy in shape for me.

neurosis and Masoo2 like this.
  18. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I have a Duvell its a stud. Havent played a Regius but they look gorgeous. I have a standard Duvell which have been discontinued, the elites look awesome though ads some flashiness.

I will say the Duvell is super meat and potatoes in a good way the instrument never gets in the way of itself

19. vibrantgermancities

vibrantgermancities SS.org Regular

I used to own a Regius - tone was to die for, very clear. Smoked the Suhr I was weighing it up against in that department. The neck shape was almost very comfortable - not too slim and the satin finish is excellent under the hand - but seemed to me to have very angular shoulders and prominent fret ends. Not sharp, but very noticeable under the hand in a way that always irritated me. Also I never get on too well with flat-top guitars that have no forearm contour, though I gather they’ve changed the carve there slightly. In other words, it sounded huge but never quite felt like home.

Also, minor thing but it was factory fitted with a 48mm humbucker in the bridge even though it would have aligned better with F spacing if I remember correctly. Makes absolutely no difference, but hey.

Not tried a Duvell for comparison - I’ve seen a few demoed when I’ve been in shops and again they sound terrific. I don’t think you’ll be let down tonally either way, but in my experience nothing beats finding out if something is actually comfortable.

20. Captastic

Captastic SS.org Regular

Play one play one play one! I bought a Skerveson Raptor 5th Anniversary on a group run. Waited 6 months for the build. 1st one sent out. Disappointed. Build Quality was good/great, but no soul. Just didn't have it for me. Sold it quickly at a $500 loss. Don't buy into hype.

vibrantgermancities likes this.