Maxwatt Custom Super Hi 50 teaser.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kyle Jordan, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

h ttps://www.facebook.com/killertonetexas/videos/1024384364383429/

Jason over at Killertone and Killertonetexas is at it again.

My body was not ready and my wallet damn sure is not either...

(The video does not want to show up on my browser and every time I try to post the direct link, it forces the embed instead. Copy the text and add the "h" or remove the space if you can't see the video.)

Alex79, Wolfhorsky and KnightBrolaire like this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Emailed them last week and they told me £3100, so I'm out. I'll get a Redstuff at that price.

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

The price has been posted here at least 5 times so not sure how it is a surprise to anybody at this point... it's also not bad for a hand wired amp that is built like a tank and not assembled in a third world country :2c:

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I think it's still pretty ridiculous. And I'm also surprised -- I thought it was about $3500 USD (but am lazy to go check). Just for comparison in the UK, Matamp is about half price, hand wired, built like a tank, not assembled in a third world country. The big feature-laden Diezels are in the 2200-2500 GBP range. In the US, Landry are handwired, built by one guy, and at $2800. Badcat, also handwired in the USA, $1800.

What I draw from that is there's either a lot more going on under the hood of these amps (not that likely?) or they just priced them where they thought they'd make the most money in moving them (no duh, they say), but which happened to be a good deal more than comparable amps in terms of construction and features.

I'm not against paying $3500-4500k USD for an amp either, but in those cases I'm basically custom ordering the circuit and it's being built by a single guy who just can't build much faster and like ..has a mortgage and family and stuff. I think this is one of the highest I've ever seen for a team-built amp.

Jacksonluvr636, Mwoit and prlgmnr like this.
  5. technomancer

Not having this argument again, it's pointless. They'll sell them out or they'll price drop them, but betting the former.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  6. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

I'm not well versed in super high end amps so I'm genuinely curious, what other amps are out there for approx $4100 US? I can only think of maybe the John Mayer two rock?

7. technomancer

They're $3500 US not $4100...

the following are all at least $3k

Friedman BE100, BE50, JJ100, SS100, Butterslax
    Soldano SLO
    Bogner Ecstacy, Helios 100, Helios Eclipse 100
    Diezel VH4, Hagen, Herbert, Paul, D-Moll
    And most importantly given the target market: every non-modded Marshall / made in China amp Fortin has been associated with

The Fortin Meshuggah heads are selling out in minutes for $3333.33 every time he makes a run available and they are cash only preorders with payment in full due up front...

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The last price I saw for the UK was £2500, which I was totally down for. That's more expensive than a Diezel for me, but for a handwired Fortin designed amp I was planning to buy it at the price. However, £3100 is import a Friedman money, and there's a Butterslax for sale right by me for that kind of money. I've also played the Butterslax and I'd totally buy one of those. In the other thread Hiwatt said it was £2500, and now it's £600 more. I'd totally buy one in the US for $3500.

If they sell well, good for them and I might buy a used one sometime. As I say, I'm going to get a Redstuff instead.

9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Is this discrepancy attributable to with/without VAT? I'd be buying the USA version/price, so I don't care what taxation the motherland wants to put on it.

I also thought the 2500 GBP was on the high side but doable. That's only like... a 600 GBP markup for Fortin's involvement vs. Matamp.

10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

$3500 + VAT would be approximately £3100, but you'd also think there'd be import costs, so we're starting below $3500 anyway. I guess Hiwatts are a £2500 new now anyway, so I guess for a 1 and a half channel amp I don't want to pay that much. I could probably get something as gainy from Matamp at that price if I asked them nicely enough. I'll stick to my Diezels in the low 2000s, have 3 or 4 channels and modern appointments. Woe is me.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  11. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

Guess I forgot to take off vat :flame:

12. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I'd be interested to see how much of that price tag is labour and also how much they are paying themselves by the hour for labour.

13. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

It sounds good but the price is just too damn steep IMO.

cwhitey2 and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Isn't a Diezel VH4 like $4500 brand new?

Edit: Well here it is in the US.

15. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Current Diezel prices on Sweetwater:

VH4: $4399.00
    Hagen: $3999.00
    Herbert Mk II: $3899.00
    Paul: $3099.00
    D-Moll: $3099.00
    VH2: $2899.99
    Big Max: $2399.00

Friedman amps from the Dirty Shirley up to the Butterslax run $2700-$3900 with the Runt and Mini heads going for $1300-$1800.

Initially, $3500 for a two channel 50 watt head does seem a bit steep. However, hand wired, high quality components (reportedly), Mike being the designer and his reputation being deeply attached to the amp, and made in the UK all factor in. I'd also guess these will be small number/batches, so that factors in to price potentially.

It's still just a bit steep IMO, but not much. If Hiwatt and Mike could still make good money on these and get them down to $3000-$3200 street, I think they could make a killing through volume.

16. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Apparently the first run of 25 amps is done. I guess i'm not low enough on the pre-order mail list as i've not been contacted. Either that or they're sending the first batch out to high profile influencers.

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Comparing an EU price of an EU amp to an EU price of another EU amp, a Diezel VH4 is £2400 from Thomann and this is £3100 direct. A VH4 is hand wired, high quality components, Peter Diezel is the designer, and made in Germany. It's also got 4 channels, 4 channel inserts, serial loop, parallel loop and MIDI.

The US price on the Hiwatt isn't bad. The UK price is.

prlgmnr likes this.
  18. technomancer

Yeah I haven't heard a word and I am on the list as well... going to guess either they're waiting for them to arrive in the US before contacting people or they sold out. If the latter I guess the price was just fine :lol:

19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The only reason I brought up the price was because the last UK price mentioned in the last thread was £2500. The US price has stayed the same.

20. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

I'll wait for the Mooer mini preamp model of this.

Descent likes this.