Martin forced to drop "Made in USA" claim

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Munk, Sep 14, 2015.

1. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

If Martin, et all, were importing shaped necks or bodies, or even blanks, then it would be reasonable.

But this is raw material. Everything except growing the raw material is being done in the US.

If importing raw materials to be used by local craftsmen to create a product makes something not made by those craftsmen...then no country has created anything in a while!

2. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

"Constructed In America" would get the point across best I imagine. "Assembled In America" sounds like someone just grabbed parts out of a bin and screwed them together.

3. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Definitely has a better ring to it and bypasses the problem caused by the law at the same time.

Time to email some companies. :lol:

4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Or better yet, "Built In America."

5. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

^
    Crafted

6. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Constructed, Built, Crafted - all really no different in definition than the word Made.

Rev.

7. Pav

Pav ???

I sold home appliances for 5 years and that sort of semantic loophole is what appliance manufacturers do all the time. Whirlpool appliances are assembled in Clyde, Ohio and tons of customers want them based solely on the fact that they're "made in America". The thing is, the appliances don't say that. They say "assembled in America" because the appliances are comprised entirely of parts manufactured in Mexico, Canada, China, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if more American companies tried to simply tweak their lingo to circumvent a technicality.

8. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I'm fine with products such as those being labeled "Assembled in the USA" rather than "Made in USA" because all parts were produced abroad and merely assembled here. With guitars though, generally those saying "Made in America" are cutting/shaping the wood, gluing it together, drilling the holes and doing the routing, laying in the frets and inlays, applying the finish, etc etc. So it much a shaping/construction process as opposed to simply assembling the items.

Rev.

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Sort of. I'm inclined to agree, but at the same time it doesn't imply the materials themselves came from the US, only that the product was constructed or assembled here. I don't really think 'Made' implies that either honestly, but it is that particular phrasing under fire currently.

Realistically, it's not the phrasing that's the issue, but how broadly the new law is applied. Just another example of politicians not a part of an industry making decisions on behalf of that industry without knowing what they are doing/saying.

10. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

True, but the people that know what they are doing / saying tend to work within the relevant industry. To see what that does to regulation, we just need to read the VW thread.

Not that I'm arguing there's a comparison. The VW case is large, shocking, and potentially dangerous, whereas Martin can slap a "Made on Jupiter" label on their guitars for all I give a shit. At the end of the day, people tend to make their purchases based on the price and quality of the product, and only choose a 'local' option if it essentially matches the price and quality of a 'foreign' product. This is why I do not own an Australian guitar (or really Australian anything).

11. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I don't mean that it shouldn't be regulated, but the many counterpoints that have been brought up here point to the new law being too broad for what it's intended. While I'm not a big fan of people in industry exclusively making their own rules, politicians not understanding things (like economics, science or any other industry) tend to have negative consequences as well. It'd be equally bad for things to go the other way, like the oil industry or banking industry writing its own regulation. Obviously that'd likely have significant consequences.

12. ArticulateMadness

ArticulateMadness Madness Articulator.

If its made in America, it should be allowed to be made in America, even if the wood comes from elsewhere. We're talking semantics. If its made in China, and then shipped to America where the tuners are popped on, it should be Made in China and Assembled in America.

This Made in America kick is bollocks anyway; nothing is made in America that much nowadays and craftsmanship as definitely left behind evidence of that. They need to be going after all these Chinese companies doing these very impressive copies - but wait a tick, that would be violating some NAFTA or TPP, wouldn't it?

13. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

There are plenty of things still made here in the US, but the cost to make things here is high relative to the cost of making them in SE Asia at the moment (higher labor costs, higher factory rent, higher equipment costs, higher raw materials costs, higher costs of complying with EPA regulations, etc.), so companies go for the cost savings so they can sell more items.

For some examples of high quality guitars still made in the US, look at Tom Anderson, Collings, Paul Reed Smith, Suhr, Taylor, Martin, Larrivee and plenty of others.

Everyone's interpretation of "very impressive" will differ, but if you can find a Chinese copy on par with Tom Anderson or Collings, I'd be willing to drink a coffee every morning for a week. And I HATE coffee (even just the smell of it make we want to :barf:).