Martin forced to drop "Made in USA" claim

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Munk, Sep 14, 2015.

1. The Munk

The Munk SS.org Regular

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This might be a bit unpopular, but I think it's important that folks know where all of what they're buying comes from.

This is taking it entirely too far, and I'm glad Martin is brushing it off with class, though.

3. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

I go by the new balance store regularly(walk by it) and there is a display in one that has an american flag made out of their shoes(a big picture) and it says "Proudly made in america". Then under it, in fine print it says something to the effect that at least 35% of new balance shoes are made in america.
    But then they have to gall to say made in america. Seems crazy considering the Martin issue.

4. SeditiousDissent

SeditiousDissent i drove bus

Wow...by that logic, many companies who tout the "M.I.A." moniker would have to rebrand everything.

Fvck off, California.

5. asher

asher So Did We

FTFY

6. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

so who's getting the money won in these lawsuits?

7. SeditiousDissent

Why can't it be both? :fawk:

8. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

This stems from an overly nationalistic interpretation of a law on the books in California since the 1960's and only applies in California. Basically, that interpretation is taken to mean that the entire product has to originate within the US in order to be labeled "made in the USA", which is a stricter standard than that set by the US Federal Trade Commission. In the case of guitars, this means that even the trees that the wood comes from must grow in the US in order for that guitar to labeled "made in the USA".

Last week, new laws went into place relaxing this interpretation. It is still more stringent than the US Federal Trade Commission (on which most states' laws are based) places on the use of this labeling.

As an aside, you'll notice that while Martin have dropped the made in USA labeling, other US guitar makers using foreign woods/components have not (Taylor, Gibson, others). I guess Martin wants to avoid a lawsuit, whereas the others are more willing to take the issue to court and help set new case law on the issue if ever sued.

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

No need to guess, as the article mentions the hundreds of thousands of dollars companies who have fought these frivolous lawsuits have incurred in legal fees alone.

Everyone knows quality Martin acoustics are made in the USA, why bother fighting it when other large companies have failed?

I could see Gibson taking this on though, they love a good legal battle and have the coffers to back it up.

10. SeditiousDissent

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :lol:

11. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

12. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

This has been discussed for the past month or so on other sites, and Chris Martin VI has stated publicly that he wants to avoid having Martin defend such frivolous lawsuits (there's a video floating around somewhere), so that part is not a guess/assumption.

But Gibson and Taylor have not spoken officially on the matter that I am aware and both currently still label their guitars (including those sold in California) as being made in USA. (I have heard reports that Taylor tour guides have indicated that Taylor has no intent of removing the made in USA labeling from their guitars to people taking the factory tour, but nothing I can confirm). And I haven't heard anything official from Fender, PRS, Guild, Gretsch, Larrivee, Collings, Santa Cruz, Huss and Dalton, et. al., either, so it's still an assumption that they are less risk averse than Martin. If they end up being served a cease and desist, or taken to court, they may change their labeling, too. We simply won't know for sure unless/until someone tests them and we can witness their response.

13. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Is this going to affect Jackson Custom shop and USA made guitars? I know my custom shipped out of Corona CA, not sure if they're still at that location. Floyd's are made in Germany, and I'd guess their tuners are probably made outside the states too.

What a totally totally lame law. Leave it to Cali to come up with such wackiness.

Rev.

14. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

Hah nice, I'm originally from Nazareth and have never been there. :lol:

15. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

And once again, proof as to why Texas peeps and California peeps don't play nice with each other. :lol:

Seriously though, the law is actually a good one. Leave it to the less than ethical lawyers consumed by avarice to go and take a good law and twist it in order to earn that 5th Mercedes. :noway:

16. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

There are times when I debate moving to California. The defense business out there is quite lucrative :lol:

17. Pav

Pav ???

It seems like this precedent could be extended to virtually any and all builders in America. How many shops or luthiers use woods harvested entirely from within the US? Would such a thing even be possible, considering how prevalent species like rosewood and ebony are? And would including hardware like an OFR be the gamebreaker that could cost a manufacturer its MIA label? A guitar really isn't one single manufactured object, it's a collection of parts and materials fashioned into an instrument. The example made in California could easily strip the MIA label from anyone they choose. It's a slippery slope indeed. I'm a Jackson guy myself and given how they love their Floyd Rose bridges and Gotoh hardware, it seems obvious that they could be a target. But removing the "Made in USA" label from MIA Jacksons? Blasphemy.

18. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Yep under this definition there isn't a guitar or amplifier or pretty much any other electronic product that could be labeled MIA.

19. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Might need to start advertising Assembled In America and Refined In America instead. :lol:

On one hand, I see where the value is in the law. Its intention is to make businesses honest and if the majority of their product were made elsewhere it's not exactly honest to say it's made here.

On the other hand, even a guitar that is almost entirely done in the US could still not qualify if anything is made outside the US (like wood and bridges) which actually makes it harder to tell when something has that extra quality from being MIA.

If the law is meant to make things easier for the consumer this one doesn't quite make the mark IMO.

20. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

I visit the factory a couple years ago myself, really really cool place.