Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by theo, Feb 14, 2013.

1. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Have a look on facebook and try to find a local community group. Do a post there. You might be surprised at the people that come out of the cracks occasionally :p

2. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

So after thinking about it for years, I finally joined karate lessons. I did karate for about a year when I was 8-9 years old, but I've forgotten almost everything since then. I've been to 5 classes since I registered at the beginning of this semester, and I absolutely love it. I wore my karate gi for the first time last class, and it felt great. I'm doing Shotokan style, for anyone interested. I have read about the differences from other karate styles, and our sensei has talked about it, but I still haven't had the chance to witness those differences first hand yet. Hopefully I'll internalize it all in due time.

I am only doing lessons at my university gym for now (the classes are offered by the university), but hopefully this summer I will join the sensei's actual dojo, and have a few more lessons scheduled within the week.

Also, according to my sensei and other higher belts in my class, I am doing very well for a beginner white belt. :D :flex:

I definitely missed doing extra-curricular physical activities (aside from the gym, which I've been hitting hard the last few months), and I'm super happy I went with this martial art... now to see if I can ever compete against my 5'0" black belt shaolin kempo roommate. :rofl:

3. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Awesome! congrats :D

4. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Good stuff. Let us know how it progresses. Remember to have fun. It's not all about reaching black belt as quickly as possible.

5. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Heh, I am so overdue it's not funny, I just haven't felt the need to keep grading at regular intervals. started training in mid 2010. Up the 3rd Kyu now.

6. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

But you're having fun? I personally love that BJJ doesn't really have set gradings, just promotion when your professor thinks you're ready. Won a blue belt tournament? A few? Let's see how you do at purple belt!

7. Alberto7

So, there's a karate tournament coming up on the 21st, with people coming from Japan and the US, and my sensei really wants me to join the white belt team. I registered for the tournament and everything, but then realized that I have a university project due on that same day, and I had to cancel. I won't even be able to make it as a spectator, and I'm super bummed out. At least I'm honored that my sensei considered me a suitable candidate for the team! It's a letdown that I won't be able to go, but also quite motivating to know that my sensei likes how I'm progressing.

8. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Aw balls! there's always another one :)

9. Alberto7

So, as of today, I am officially an advanced white belt, :cool: and I will be going for my yellow belt hopefully by the end of summer/beginning of fall. :D I felt like I've improved so much in such a short time. I keep getting compliments from the higher-belts, but I feel like I still have sooooo much to learn (which is a very good thing), and I always feel compelled to ask for advice.

Also, today was the last karate class for this semester at my university's dojo, so we all went to dinner at a Japanese place after class along with our sensei. I got to know better my fellow karatekas, and they just happened to be some of the loveliest people I have met in a long time. I also spent quite a while talking with my sensei, and she's one of the loveliest and sweetest old ladies I've ever met. Such an interesting person, too. She makes a living as a 5th dan and is married to a physicist who builds and customizes guitars as a hobby. :eek::eek: I honestly feel like a lucked out big time in having these people around me.

Now that this was the last class, I hope to resume training next Saturday. I'm stoked to be learning so much in such a positive environment, and I'm grateful for being surrounded by so many passionate people in my class. Picking up karate this semester has definitely been the best thing I've done for myself in a very, very long time.

10. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Awesome!

What's the name of his guitar business?

11. Alberto7

^ I actually have no idea, I didn't ask. :lol: She just told me that if I ever had a guitar that I wanted to customize, or an old guitar that I wanted to repair, that I could just let her know and she'd pass on the word. I also don't know the scope of his work, in the sense that I don't know if it's an actual business he's running, or if he just does it as a hobby for a few people. I should probably ask next time. :idea::lol:

12. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

I'd love to find out and have a browse (assuming he's online).

13. Alberto7

So I went to the JKA (Japanese Karate Association) Nationals today as a spectator/volunteer, and my God... :eek: it was the first karate tournament ever that I attended, and this was a pretty important one. My sensei was there as a judge, and a couple of the black and brown belts that I know were participating, too. I got to meet Don Sharp, who was the 1995 JKA world champion and is one of the most recognized Canadian sensei. He was there today as chief judge. I also got to meet some of the top current Canadian karateka in the association. All really cool people, although I have to say that I was indeed a little intimidated after seeing them literally kick so much ass. :lol: I realized it's one thing watching tournament videos online, but it's a whole different thing seeing it right there in front of you. The level of skill of these people honestly floored me. Everything was so tight, fast, and precise, it was impressive. After the tournament ended and we put everything away, we went for dinner with some of the local contestants and my sensei. Had a grand time today, and came out of there with a lot of inspiration.

14. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

15. Alberto7

I've been really curious towards the bo staff for a while. If there is one thing I wish was done differently in my style of karate, was the use of weapons (I know, kind of against the core concept of karate, but still). More than a self-defense tool, it looks like such a fun skill to have. And it seems to me you have some pretty good skills on the bo staff! That was a nice little save on the first video haha.

16. asher

asher So Did We

I feel like, no matter what sport, getting yourself to national events and getting to both watch first hand and interact with the top tier people is always both really cool and really inspiring :yesway:

ed: also, missed out on your last post on the last page. That's fantastic. Finding a great community of people to practice with makes all the difference in the world.

since we lost the off-topic pics of yo'self thread, have my lazy ass looking en garde from the weekend (really happy this was snapped, as it let me know my weight's a little off and my back heel is on the floor again):

[​IMG]

17. odibrom

odibrom .

What I have learned on web videos on weapons is that, we, as the observers, cannot know how hard it is to handle the filmed weapon, and in my opinion, most of the videos are made with light/training materials. More so, most of these videos are full of "Show of" tricks that have no fighting implementation nor are fight usable.

Do you feel the same?

18. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

odibrom I'm more or less self taught when it comes to the bo. I watch videos off youtube for ideas but quite often find it hard to replicate what they do, I struggle to learn from the videos I've found so far.

I don't train for real life combat, it's fun and a challenge for myself. I'm all for showmanship, just because it's not necessarily an efficient way of killing or disabling an opponent doesn't mean that it didn't take someone many hours of dedication to master.

19. odibrom

odibrom .

Theo. I partly share your thoughts. I do not wish to kill nor hurt anyone. I rather run to actually fight, 'cause there are so many variables that could go wrong... however, I do like to have a go on fighting at the gym I go to and we never get hurt, even with weapons. I also like to know that if I really need, I can get on top of things with whatever tool I have at hand.

This to say that I work for the real thing with real objects, like heavy wood nunchucks for example and try to search for useful maneuvers with real and functional applications/appliance (?)..

My previous comment was not to be a snob, just to understand what drives each one of you on these matters. I like to keep it real, but some flashy stuff once in a wile is also cool.

20. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

I wasn't taking offence, merely stating my feelings on the matter.
    The thing to keep in mind with the dudes doing acrobatic martial arts and tricking, they still throw real life techniques in there too, just with added flair between haha.

I get what you're saying, and I also understand why people dislike that side of things. They both have their place for me.