Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by theo, Feb 14, 2013.

1. SoItGoesRVA

SoItGoesRVA Do You Even Riff?

Hey all, I'm a 1st dan in Shorin Ryu, a 4th kyu in Judo, and I've been working on BJJ as of late. I spar and practice my striking in a gym that also teaches Muay Thai, so you get those awkward moments when someone tries to "correct" my form, but really they're just telling me how a Muay Thai practitioner would do it. I have to explain to them that no, I know this kick doesn't have as much force on it because it's being thrown from a neutral stance; but there's no wind-up - it'll land twice as often.

As for the query above, just do it. As long as you get back into it at a calculated pace and don't push yourself to the brink of death over training, I don't see how this can be a negative experience.

2. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Khaerruhl I'd love to hear updates as you progress.

I'm really enjoying XMA. I know it's not practical in the least but it looks like so much fun!
    Really want to get into it.

3. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

I have seen it, over weight people get injured much easier.

I saw one kid go three years being denied his black belt because of weight before he left. (TKD)

I have no problem with this either, I think it is in their best interest not to train with people that are much quicker, and better balanced.

4. theycallmetc

theycallmetc SS.org Regular

Well, I guess it depends up to what point you're overweight and how physically strenuous the martial art is. A lot of the times people get caught up in the "first I'll get fit for it" mentality and never actually take the leap. I know lots of guys who are gym rats and told me all the time "oh man I'll totally join your gym...once I gain X pounds of muscle, or get to Y level of conditioning". The result was they never joined and just kept hitting the weights or treadmill.

I find martial arts conditioning (again, depending on the physical demands of the particular MA) to be so specific or at times, intense, that most of the times perfectly fit, athletic people would come to a Muay Thai class and feel like throwing up after warm up. So what was the whole point of getting so fit for MA instead of you know, getting fit while practicing MA?

Of course, if you're too heavy, then there's other considerations like how that will bear on your joints, specially your knees, specially if what you want to do incorporates skipping rope and roadwork. If you feel like you're too heavy, you could always diet for a bit and slowly lose weight until you get to a point you can start exercising regularly and then practicing MA again. Best of luck!

5. Khaerruhl

Khaerruhl SS.org Regular

Been overall trying to get a feel for my body and find out where there are problems... Three places that are of concern to me that I noticed are my wrists, knees, and lower back. Dull aches, but I'd hate for it to become something worse, especially the back.

I understand theycallmetcs part about "getting fit enough for gym first", but I have a feeling this is more a thing about "losing weight so I don't break something". I have no trouble with working hard, it's just that I don't want to get hurt while working hard. I've been slowly losing weight thankfully. I'd much rather lose weight slow and steady, rather than a 45 lbs drop in three months. Im thinking about losing weight down to at least 265-ish before concidering martial arts. Until then, bicycle, swimming, wrestling and fencing/bashing my brother with a bokken. :D

6. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

If the school is worth it's salt, they won't have an obviously out of shape person doing the same drills and exercises as the regulars.

The instructor should adapt the warm ups to suit the abilities of the student - or the student just has to be able to say "stop. this is beyond my ability. if i do this i am going to hurt myself."

Ideally, the school would have the novices in a separate group to get them familiar with the basics before integrating them into the rest of the class. When I was doing jiu jitsu and judo, the white belts were *always* separated after the warm up so they could work on breakfalls and basic footwork so when they would train with the rest of the students they wouldn't hurt themselves or their partner (ask me how a noob partially tore my deltoid because they were petrified of falling backwards - i never returned to that school again)

7. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Where I train everything is just adapted to suits levels.
    So the instructors will get everyone warmed up/limbered etc and then start some basic stuff. After a while it will be "Everyone over X level I want you to start doing Y as well" and we just progress from there.

8. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Well. I'm back into practicing my Kung Fu forms (alongside running, other exercise and stretching) after a long break.

Doing this with a view to returning to my school soon.

Three weeks in so far- my body is starting to fit into the shapes again, though my knees are suffering from crouches in weapon forms... Need to work on a way to strengthen them!

It's all good though. I almos forgot the calm and focus that proper martial arts training can bring. And I seriously need that right now!

9. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

That's good to hear man! Keep it up :D

Had a really productive day today coming up with my own Xma Bo form.

10. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Anyone in the Northern VA area do capoeira?

11. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

:) Think the garden is too wet from yesterday's rain here to do any staff/sword forms outside.

Though I'm busy trying to remember more freehand forms right now.. :)

12. SoItGoesRVA

Tapped one of the main black belts at my jiu jitsu gym on friday.

Apparently I've just green lighted myself; we've sparred since and he's playing for blood.

13. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

Well I do mention above that if someone's weight is extreme, then a programme prior to joining is a good choice.

I agree that Dan grades should be denied on grounds of not being in good shape but only if it affects the execution of the techniques or there is a risk of heart failure.:yesway:

14. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Took another quick video of some Bo spins I'm toying with.

I've gotta stop moving my body so much focus more on moving the bo around me I Think.

15. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Managed to get one of my Schools purple belts last night, got him a few times but in all fairness he is on his way back form long term injury and I tihnk tapped just to look afer his body during recovery.
    I guess thats why he rolls with a white belt.
    When I rol with higher guys I tend not to work in tapping them out it show long I can survive and escape. Which is getting longer and slightly easier.

16. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp Ormsby nutter

Lookin good, Theo!

I'm 3 months into my training of Muay Thai and it's been great! Killer academy with a lot of very experienced people and no egos. I'm feeling the fittest I have in a number of years and every session is an improvement.

17. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Had another really good No-GI trg session on Weds. Im definatly lasting longer agasint guys more experienced than me, I still make basic errors at times but they are getting less and less and my stamina has definatly improved.
    One thing I ahve notuiced when sparing with Russian guys recently is how aggresive they are there is no period of finding out about your opponent it is all out war, even when rolling lightly.
    I had a few rolls with a guy who had just come back from along break and the aggression button was well and truly pushed. After a cold war of guard passing on my behalf and lots of him trying to drag my arm down to get me in a triangle I manage to avoid those. Does help I'm agood foot taller and abit more athletic.
    I mange to get a shakey half guard and manaouver him so he for some reason turtles up (he dosent seem to like me manipulating his head to much). I take his back and roll over and start trying to apply a choke, he gets out the first one but my left arm sneaks in and I get him nice and tight. I am ashamed that I made him tap twice before I released but I wanted to make a little point that I don't like getting smacked around when its a light rolling session.
    He didnt take to kindley to it and went to sulk by the drinks fridge. When he left the Purple belt comes across and tells me that I pulled a really nice move in getting him to turtle and I executed the roll over my left shoulder really well and the chock was nice, even with the second tap. I was expecting abit of a dressing down.

So slighlty ashamed but he shoudl have toned it down for a light roll.

18. SoItGoesRVA

^sparring isn't a fight. The last dude that went all out on me in a sparring session got the point of my elbow in his floating ribs until he calmed down.

19. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

I've studied/trained in Tae Kwon Do, Muso Jikiden Eishin-Ryu Iaido, and kendo.

Lately I'm trying to decide if I should get back to Iaido and kendo, or branch out and start studying wushu under Shi Xing Ying. To be more accurate, under his disciple here in Austin.

In making this decision, finances are going to be a major factor. Should I continue in MJER Iaido and kendo, I'll have to be driving to San Antonio a couple times a week. Iaito costs are another thing. A decent Iaito is more expensive than a decent(albeit lower end) shinken. I'm not advanced enough for waza with a live blade, especially being away from the practice for nearly a decade. Then there's shinai, hakama, gi, and eventually bogu. Luckily I still have several bokuto.

With shaolin wushu, only robes/uniform are required-and even then, only eventually. The center is also much closer.

I'm still leaning towards Iaido and kendo, but have a couple months before I start anything again.

20. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Try telling him that, I think holding the choke in did that.

See what he is like this week, fingers crossed he will realize that a light roll is just that.