Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by theo, Feb 14, 2013.

1. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Skeels even without the baseball bat I would not have liked to be in conflict against him. Whilst I'm pretty confident I would have had the upper hand (I don't think I'd had anything to drink that night either), I really wouldn't have wanted to put my skills to the test.

For one I see physical conflict as an absolute last resort, Also he was massive, seriously massive, I think someone hit by him would stay hit for a while.

Also he was drunk to the point where I don't think he'd notice pain all that much. Rendering my go to locks etc much less effective than normal.

2. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

You're right of course- fighting is for idiots.

The guy sounded like a loose cannon though.

A big bully.

3. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Without a shadow of a doubt.

On a more upbeat note yesterday I started my assistant instructors course! Very excited :)

4. davidsantana27

davidsantana27 SS.org Regular

Very nice thread guys! Enjoyed reading it. I used to train Karate Kyokushin back in the day, for 5-6 years, but I had over a year of pause due to leg injury and I had problems when I tried to come back, so I gave up :( Now I only train at gym (bodybuilding is great imo).

5. Audioworks

Audioworks SS.org Regular

I love martial arts and train in Combatives as well as being a Senshido International Instructor. I train all the time, and if you wanted to check out my website there is a link to my youtube page where you can view all kinds of training videos/instructional vids.

Martial Arts are awesome!! I love talking about it, training, health/fitness. Whatever!

www.becombative.com

6. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp Ormsby nutter

I've not been training any martial arts these past 3 months and I'm in two mindsets.
    I'm thinking of returning to capoeira, after a 14 month hiatus since moving away from my groups' city. However, I've got a real curiosity to try wushu because of my tai chi background. Thoughts?

7. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

Worst case is you try wushu and you don't like it. You spend a few hours out and meet some new people.

There is never anything wrong with trying something new.

Edit

I don't know what it's like with capeoera, but I would advise you to not look for a new club and expect it to be just like the one you left. I did this with jiu jitsu and I was never happy until I realized that I was comparing everything to what I had left when I moved and forced myself to stop comparing.

8. Audioworks

Audioworks SS.org Regular

Just make sure you are pressure testing what you are training with resisting opponents. Only then will you know if what you're training works. Include the clinch, stand up attacks, ground fighting, and weapon attacks. Multiple opponents, too....Doesn't matter what you train in. Just TEST it.

9. capoeiraesp

Zilla, you're dead on about never expecting new groups to be like old ones. That is the issue that's held me back and honestly, I get to return home enough that I still train with my old master and group a few times a year. That said, the group over here is a different one but I know the instructor well and he has a very good relationship with my master.

As another option, my gym is doubling in size and will be having a massive crossfit, mma, and boxing area. I'm thinking that I'll just train myself and tag in with some of the guys in the gym at this point in time. Ideally I really want to keep pushing my stand up attack skills like boxing and tactical strikes.

10. yellow

yellow Banned

What wushu? From what i recall its just a term for competitive/sportified kung fu. I say go with the tai chi off hand if its a good school, otherwise, what wushu school are you lookin at?

11. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Matt I'm pretty interested in Capoeira, Let me know if you find a good place to train!

12. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Necrobump!

Been doing a lot of training over the last few months. Hoping to hit my Black belt late this year or earlier next.

Here's a video of some bo spins I was mucking around with:

13. capoeiraesp

Nice man! I miss the bo staff. My right shoulder is a bit out of alignment right now and all I can think of doing to correct is bo staff training.

14. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Ooh I just saw my comment, I never ended up starting anything. I made that post exactly one week before starting my full-time employment :lol:

Still something I'd like to start once my hours balance out, still keeping fit with yoga and running though.

15. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Cheers Mat, I'm still a total n00b. Picked up the Bo in Feb, then went away for a fortnight with work and now playing around with it again, pretty happy with my couple weeks of progress though.

DID YOU KNOW, the guy from Twilight (Taylor Lautner) is actually a really talented martial artist?

EDIT:

16. Khaerruhl

Khaerruhl SS.org Regular

I wanna ask for some help guys. I started training Bujinkan in 2009 and kept up until 2010. Started training using bokken and whatnot. Not long, I know, but it was great fun, and I learned a lot about myself in the process. I quit because I had to focus on school, and because I was getting depressed to the point of not seeing a reason to do just about anything. Anyway, Now I feel like Im mentally stable enough to continue training with such a thing, but my body has deteriorated. I gained 100 pounds, got cancer (fully recovered from that yay) and overall become weaker than before. I now weigh almost 290 pounds. I have been keeping myself somewhat mobile though, wrestling with my dad and brother. I may weigh a lot, but I know How to use my weight at least!

I want to get back into Bujinkan. It felt so good to me! I learned so much (in one month I went from stumbling on my own feet to doing cartwheels, one handed handstands, and walking on two hands) and I had so much fun doing it but Im scared that I might hurt myself or others! What should I do to get back into it all? Send them an e-mail and go "Hello, remember me? I wanna jump into training again!" or should I lose weight and train myself up first? In some ways I feel like I've forgotten my body and I want to get to know myself again, but mainly I feel that I need to do something! I want something with meaning, not just hammer away at the weights in the gym! Help please!

17. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Personally I'd get back into training at the same time as bringing your fitness back.
    Get into swimming etc for your weightloss (there's no impact so your joints will be happy) as well as it being awesome for overall cardio.

You might not be able to do everything at Bujinkan that you used to at first, but you can set yourself goals and work towards them Eg: "At the end of this month I want to be able to do ___" and then use swimming or jogging etc as a means to helping you achieve that short term goal.

18. Humanoid

Humanoid SS.org Regular

I'm pretty sure they'll take you back gladly. Your body will remember the things with a little training. Just try to move the best way possible even if you have gained some weight. You can drop it little by little on the way. Just don't give up :)

19. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

I have never heard of a respectable dojo turning people away because of their weight. Unless it brings health issues of course.

Perhaps with a proper diet and a training regiment before you return you will feel more confident.

20. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

^ this