Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by theo, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Do remember, though, that, as a black belt, that's where your real self-defense training begins. It's not the ultimate level. Obviously someone with 20 years of experience as a black belt will, more likely than not, be better than someone who just got theirs. I guess it's why they divided it up into dans at the black belt level.

What you said is true though. For reasons that are still beyond me, they put high-level black belts against 1st dans. One of my sempai (a 1st dan) was recently put up against a 3rd dan (or 4th, not sure) who also happens to hold a silver medal in team kata at the JKA world cup and 7th place in individual kata. I thought that was somewhat unfair.

Have you seen the film Kuro Obi (Black Belt)? I like the way they put it there: "The color black never becomes dirty. The same goes for the belt." Very, very neat film btw. :agreed: The most down-to-earth martial arts film I've seen so far. I love how, even though what is portrayed in the film is meant to be old-school Okinawan karate, they used the actors' different styles to show the differences in their characters. (One of the actors does JKA Shotokan, which is generally stronger, more linear, and aggressive, and the other actor practices Goju-ryu, focusing more on defensive circular movements and counter-attacks.)

2. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

I've read some interesting philosophy about the black belt becoming white again.

3. Humanoid

Humanoid SS.org Regular

I think it as a learning circle. You learn, then you feel you know something, then you don't -> start the learning process again. In the end we are all only beginners who want to learn.

4. Alberto7

So, I just got back from Burlington, VT, from a weekend camp taught by sensei Douglas Luft (7th dan JKA). I got to be part of two black belt-oriented classes, and had a ton of fun. It was a kata-oriented camp, and I was allowed to give all of the basic 15 Shotokan kata a go (from the beginner Heians, all the way to Hangetsu). I was very sloppy obviously (15 different katain 3 hours, most of which are new to me? Right. :lol:), but I got a ton out of it, and a little taste of what's to come. I also got some extremely valuable advice from sensei Doug. The people hosting the event held a potluck at their home, and invited everybody from the camp. They had a makiwara there, which we all took turns to punch at least 10 times on each arm. They also had a shinai and, for the first time, I felt the sting of a shinai on my leg whenever I didn't use my hips correctly or messed up my technique. :lol: Also, sensei Doug's punches on that thing made it feel like the entire house was going to collapse. Of course, the makiwara became the center of attraction by the time we were all drunk. All in all, it was a very valuable experience, I met some wonderfully friendly and down to earth people, and it was a super fun short roadtrip to unwind a little. Also, Burlington is a really nice little town.

5. Alberto7

Ok, so by now it's like the universe actually wants me to do karate. :lol: Turns out my new roommate is a black belt in Shotokan karate, testing for his nidan this summer. The only 'drawback' (mind the quotation marks) is that he practices with the SKA (Shotokan Karate Association/of America) and I practice with the JKA (Japanese Karate Association), who are pretty fierce rivals. :lol: Regardless, the differences in the actual styles are few. JKA is just more tournament-oriented and is a more pragmatic and scientific approach that is constantly changing small things in its standards here and there (and is a lot more structured as an organization), whereas SKA tries to preserve the original shotokan teachings of Gichin Funakoshi by the book. Still, I am damned to live with karate for a while longer, it seems. :lol: I've discovered that the karate and martial arts scene here in Montreal is absolutely fantastic. There are so many legitimate (and some not-as-legitimate) schools and practitioners.

Also, testing for my yellow belt tomorrow morning, so fingers crossed that I pass the exam!

6. asher

asher So Did We

I would normally say "break ALL the legs!", but it's not quite a performance or audition. So uh...

Sweep all the legs?!

7. Alberto7

Haha at this point, I think I've broken my own legs from training so damn often. :lol: I'm taking a 2-3 week break due to family vacations starting next week though. And, while we're at it, I think the exam went well. I got some nice comments from my classmates, and some constructive criticism from my sensei and the other judges. I shall find out this Monday.

8. Alberto7

Forgot to update: I got it. :D Now a much needed break.

9. FRETPICK

FRETPICK Banned

10. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

I really need to get back into training, this week I think.

11. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

Me too...i'm still in the conundrum of finding an art that's close to what I like to do and ALSO in proximity. I don't want to go any further than 10mi from my house b/c in Atlanta-area time, that's like an hour drive lol.

12. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Australian time is obviously very different to Atlanta time haha!

13. Alberto7

So I had my usual Monday karate class with sensei Don Sharp as a guest teacher from British Columbia. Don Sharp was the JKA kumite world champion in 1996, and has been nominated Canadian athlete of the year twice, aside from coaching Canadian teams for the WKF and JKA world champsionships. Today, I spent 3 of the last 6 hours training with the guy at another seminar. The dude is absolutely unreal. Whenever he performs any kind of move, it's like between the beginning of the move and the final stance there are just no frames. He's also very good at putting things into words, and at showing the absolute importance of coordinating the hips with shoulders, elbows, and wrists. Dude's insane. Then went out to dinner with him and some fellow students and local senseis. I'm so pumped. :lol: :)

14. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

Nice to see so many guitarists/musicians into the martial arts :)
    I studied Wa Lum Kung Fu for a few years in my 20's and absolutely loved it , but my sifu packed up and moved to Florida, and I just stopped.
    fast forward to 4 years ago, I stuck my daughter into an American Kenpo school (Ed Parkers system) and started watching the adult classes and liked what I saw.
    Now I am getting ready for my blue belt test (I blew out my knee 2 years ago so I lost almost an entire year of training :( ) and my daughter is prepping for her Green belt.
    I've been in a couple of tournaments and placed in the top 3 both times and loving it.
    My Sensei loves to mix in Muay thai and JuiJutsi into the training so we get to learn aspects of different styles as well as the system we are under.
    I've been doing this 3 times a week for the last couple of years and couldn't imagine not doing it anymore. :hbang:

15. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hednG8m_4y8

That is Tatsuya Naka, he is pretty good with the traditional style. The movies he made came out with choreography natural and flowing as well.

16. Alberto7

^ Sensei Naka is a total beast, and possibly one of my favorite JKA instructors that I've seen online. I wish he'd come do a karate camp here in Canada or somewhere it wouldn't be too hard for me to attend, because I dream of training with the guy one day. I still have to watch High-Kick Girl! though.

Here's a neat "magic" trick that was first taught to me by my senpai, and which showcases the importance of breathing. Sensei Naka is evidently really fond of it; he does it in at least 3 different videos of him that I've seen. It's also a really neat party trick! :lol:

17. Alberto7

So, among other great things that have happened this weekend, this happened:

Enpi, Kanku-dai, and Heian Sandan.

I've always loved Sia's music videos (as weird as they are), and I can't believe she got Mahiro Takano to perform there! That kid sure is going places. It's also funny because Enpi and Kanku-dai are the katas that two of my friends performed in their Nidan and Shodan (black belt) tests this weekend. They both passed. :)

18. Josh Delikan

Josh Delikan SS.org Regular

I was practicing martial arts long before I discovered music; it was my first passion.

I started out with simple kickboxing as a child, and eventually started to study other styles (such as wing chun) taking from them what was useful and discarding what was not, to the point where I developed my own style that works for me.

Now, I practice around three times per week at home to keep sharp as well as regular weight training in the gym!

19. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

I've recently started back at my karate club after taking most of last year off due to touring with my band and then injury. I've forgotten so much and lost so much strength haha... It's a serious challenge again.

20. Alberto7

Just got back from Boston from a karate camp. 2 days of training under sensei Masataka Mori. Got to train and mingle with some wonderful people, including several US champions and world-class competitors. Was a friggin' incredible trip. It's curious how all the people I've met from the US and Canada that practice Shotokan with the JKA have been some of the nicest, most genuine individuals I've ever met. It was such a valuable experience. Had fun in training, and fun with my classmates and the new people I met; it was the whole package. Funny how some of the best times of your life can be had without the need of drugs or cracking a single dick joke :lol: but with just sweat and like-minded people. I am now looking forward to the next camp. :D

Also, Boston is a beautiful city, so that was a nice bonus.

My sensei has also asked me to compete in our upcoming tournament this March, so I'll be working hard on that. Team kata and basic sparring, most likely. :D

And it wasn't before? ;) jk haha reintegrating can be frustrating, but if you like what you're doing, and you practice with people you like, it should be relatively seamless.