Marie Kondo's killin' my gear collection

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by narad, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

TIL I've been living my life under the KonMari method, wish I would've known earlier as I was just in Tokyo, thanks for the post, OP!

narad likes this.
  2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Swap guitars for bikes and it might make more sense to you :lol:

Alex79 likes this.
  3. NeglectedField

NeglectedField SS.org Regular

Man, some of the clips from that Marie Kondo vid gave me the feels. Like the widow struggling to get rid of her dead husband's stuff. Never really appreciated the many layers there are with bereavement :(

So I have 9 stringed instruments:
    Ibanez RG321 (modded) - pride & joy; metal mainly; only guitar I will never sell.
    Fender Mex Std HSS Strat (modded) - funky stuff, clean stuff, classic rock
    Ibanez S320 (modded) - wanted a locking trem, no end of clunk and buzzing from that ZR trem so looking to flog despite sentimental value of recording an album with it
    Charvel San Dimas Style 1 HT (secondhand) - Eb guitar for learning or at least playing along to those Eb-tuned bands
    Squier Vintage Modified '77 Jazz Bass - main 4-string
    Yamaha RBX375 - main 5-string
    Tanglewood TPE SFCE Acoustic
    Blue Moon Classical - cheap classical beater for whimsical jams
    Tanglewood Ukulele - 'cos why the fuck not?

I won't ever downscale from that but due to limited space, I doubt I can expand much on that. I don't even have cases for all of them. Unfortunately, growing up, we couldn't 'amass' a huge collection as we weren't rolling in it, so to speak; we had to sell something on if we were tired of it. Want an Ibanez with whammy action? Gotta get rid of the Squier Tele. A proper combo amp? Gotta get rid of the Epi Gothic SG. And that's no different now, except it's less about money as it is about space and what I can or can't justify having. I had an RG7321 for a while and had to get rid of that as I no longer played 7-string stuff.

You gotta be hard-nosed (as my mum would say) and decide what does and doesn't have sentimental value or practical use, and sell the latter to upgrade to something more useful (whether that be a guitar or something else). The thing is, as a guitarist your needs and desires can change all the time, in terms of what breadth of sounds and styles you want covered, different guitars for different tunings and so on. At the moment I can't justify much more, especially as I'm going through a funny phase of not wanting to be in anyone else's band or record much. Maybe it's just good to keep a coupla hundred smackaroonies in a kitty to spend on a new axe as and when you 'need' it?

Coming over all senitmental/philosophical right now *sigh*

4. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

I have 3 essentially.
    A Parker
    Another Parker
    Annnnnnd another Parker.

Then a beater Mim strat and USA peavey falcon, and a couple acoustics and a bass.

20 guitars is too much. .....but 20 Parker’s, hmmm

In reality, 2 of my Parker’s are in C# Standard, one with and alnico and one with ceramic, the my 3rd is in Bb with a ceramic pup and I just need a 4th for an alnico.

But essentially The ideal would be 2 tunings, with a pair for each tuning with complimentary pups.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Tell me of this dusty Suhr... I feel the need to buy a guitar to combat the concepts of this thread :kd:

AxeHappy and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  6. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I need a guitar per tuning I use, so the trick is to decide on 2 or 3 tunings only. 6 strings don't make sense to me, I can play that stuff on a 7 or 8 string too. I don't get the guys needing a strat, a tele, an LP etc. ... I have no problem playing a Guns n Roses song on an 8 string super strat for example :lol:

7. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I used to have three and would sell or trade the third whenever something became interesting enough. Then I moved to the US and thought trades and some sale opportunities eventually landed on 9. I have been trying to determine what to sell but I got ahold of a few that are really good and I fear I won't come across them so easily if I part with them so keeping them for now. But definitely think I should sell.

I saw the show yesterday and found it interesting how people live. I don't know if it is representative of households in the US. Except my guitars and her shoes we don't have any EXTRA items. All we have is really cut down to a minimum, strictly to what we need and all else goes into savings.

I am especially perplexed with he amount of clothing and paper these people amass.

8. guitaardvark

guitaardvark Drop D because 2005

I just watched the show for the first time last night and it's got me thinking about my guitar collection. Right now I'm at three: my Ibanez S1520FB which I will take with me to the grave, my partscaster, and my Taylor 110CE. I used to cherish guitars that I had written my best works on because I had myself convinced that the guitar was what sparked creativity in me, which is far from the truth. I love all three of them and they bring me great joy, but in the end, they're just material objects. Everyone has the right to have purpose-specific guitars for niche applications, but I find that I tend to appreciate mine more if I'm forced to get the absolute most out of my instruments.

9. guitaardvark

guitaardvark Drop D because 2005

I definitely wouldn't consider the people on the show to be representative of most US households, but I wouldn't call it uncommon either. Americans really do have that much clothing, really do suck as document organization, and really do love knick-knacks.

neurosis likes this.
  10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Guys, it's a trap!

narad is just trying to trick everyone into a fire sale on their guitars!

cwhitey2, sirbuh, AxeHappy and 4 others like this.
  11. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Hey man, I'm just saying that most guys would find that some extra money in their pocket would sparkle more joy in their lives than an Aristides for ever color of shirt they own. And if I were to wind up with an extra Aristides, it may also sparkle more joy in my life. Win-win!

neurosis and StevenC like this.
  12. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Have you seen the market for 964s recently? :lol:

13. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I was definitely more productive when I had less guitars. My axe fx was tailored to my Dellinger and that was it, plug and play. Then whenever I got a new one I wasted so much time on making patches for them, because I thought each served a dicferent purpose. Not enjoying that anymore.

guitaardvark likes this.
  14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I have zero intention of selling guitars I want to keep. Guitars are one of the few things that give me joy. Granted, I tend to buy pretty looking guitars, rather than workhorse guitars. If I could get away with it, I'd buy fancy handmade furniture, too. I agree with the general tenet that we should dispose of the things that don't give us joy. But, I'm going to keep working on my big ass collection of guitars. Confucius Hollowway say: Yard with three blade of grass not beautiful. Yard with lush lawn bring joy.
    Now, go forth and buy guitars that make you happy, so you can eke out a little more dopamine in this fleeting time on this tiny blue dot.

IbaJack and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

guitars are like guns or reese's cups. I can't stop buying them and the only way anyone is getting them is if they pry them out of my cold chocolate and peanut butter covered hands

Hollowway and AxeHappy like this.
  16. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Man, my queue for clearing space was Dingwall -> Jackson WR1 -> <undecided>, but then I just pulled out the WR1 and remembered how awesome it is, and now just want to swap in a set of EMG 77s and call it a day :-( Forgive me, Kondo-sensei.

17. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

Can you list all 20 and what specific niche you feel they fill? We're here to help you.

Also, it sounds fun.

18. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Lush lawn just means more time spent mowing.

Hollowway likes this.
  19. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I have an old Cort guitar that I can probably get rid of, although in the shape the bridge is in, I wouldn't even want to give it away. It's got a Wilkinson trem, but the hex slots in the action adjustment screws on a couple of the saddles are stripped. I've also never really been able to get a good setup on it. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get the right combination of saddle height and truss rod adjustment in order for it to have decent action without buzz. Also, even with a roller nut, the trem has never returned to zero (part of the reason why I have it blocked off), and last I played it, it still broke strings at the saddle even after taking it and having them filed by a luthier. There's also the fact that it has an absolutely awful neck profile that actually hurts my hand to play.

It might sound like a no-brainer to just throw it out. The problem is that, despite all this, it actually sounds great. Best sounding guitar for blues that I own. Granted, that still hasn't been enough to overcome the fact that I haven't played it in probably a decade. I'd be more than willing to give it away, but I don't want to just pass off an albatross to someone unsuspecting, and I'm guessing that I wouldn't be able to find anyone around here who'd be willing to put the work into it to get it up and running again.

Thoughts?

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol:

It's boring, visually - quartersawn maple neck, oil-finished alder body, S-H with a volume and a tone and a Gotoh floyd. Awesome sounding neck pickup tone from it, but that's why I ended up putting the ML Standards in my alder Strat, sooo... I think the bridge is an Aldrich, but I'd have to check the spec sheet.

Definitely a player's guitar more so than wall art, which makes me feel doubly bad that it's currently wall art.

Eh, I'm not much better with bikes. :lol: I'm eyeing my next, I've almost hit 10k miles on my current Tarmac and I'm increasingly realizing I'd be better off on a 56 than a 58, and god only knows what I'm going to do with my current one when I buy a new one - most likely either the newest gen disc brake S-Works version of the Tarmac or Venge. That next bike will probably hold me for the better part of the next decade though, as long as I say reasonably crash free.