Mandatory Vehicle Inspection (rant)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bostjan, Sep 19, 2017.

1. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

For many years they had "Aircare" in my City (North Vancouver, Canada) which would be your emissions testing, beyond that there was no safety checks really. People used to come up with ways to cheat the test...or Insure the Vehicle in a different town of there was no way it would pass. My dad had a work van Registered/Insured in a town 4 hours from us called Kelowna...the van had never been there :mrburns:.

Anyways they got rid of it a few years ago for whatever reason and life is much simpler....Also I know own that work van now and im glad I dont have to be sketchy and insure it out of city.

2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

In my state ,NSW, in Australia we have had this forever. when you renew your yearly registration you need a pick slip first ,which is a roadworthy inspection

they are pretty strict.,and if you have an older car it can be areal pain .

back in the day if you knew a mechanic they could do you a favor and pass you but now its all online and its a big risk to try to pass anything dodgey through

3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Heh, attending school in Kelowna right now. Plus, that point isn't irrelevant to the topic at hand. Because I'm just a student here and maintain my Yukon residency, I get to keep my Yukon registration and insurance while I'm here (and thank God, because ICBC is a PITA). In the Yukon, vehicle inspections are at the discretion of your insurance carrier (which is all privatized in the Yukon), so there's no getting harped on by the government for inspections on a regular basis, and insurance companies practically never ask for more than 1 inspection over the lifetime of a vehicle unless they're given a specific reason to do so (eg car was in an accident). I would know, I was an insurance broker for 7 years.

downburst82 likes this.
  4. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

Aircare guy cancelled because it got called out on what a fucking scam it really was.

I remember when it was something like a month until it was supposed to be discontinued and for some reason I was still expected to go get the emission test.... despite the fact that IT WOULDN'T MATTER EITHER WAY IN 30 MORE DAYS.

I just never did it and never got caught chalk it up as a win for the people :lol:

Off topic, but they pulled the same shit with bridge tolls. Did away with all the tolls, but you still have to pay for the crossing from the day before. I am loving the no more tolls anywhere in the city though.

bostjan and downburst82 like this.
  5. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

It comes down to what you believe is necessary, I think.

6. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Ideologically, sure. But functionally, we're all victims when things skew too far one way or another, regardless of our ideologies.

7. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Again, a simple safety inspection is pretty obvious to any driver. Although, most maintenance shops will tell you if your tires need replacing or whatever. They will even show you. It shouldn't be left up to the state to tell someone that their vehicle is unsafe. Find some personal responsibility.

As for that damn check engine light...I just can't get it to go off in my car. I had the light checked, and it was due to an engine knock sensor. Somebody please tell me why I need to know if my engine is knocking. Because if it is, I'm SOL anyway. Just to be clear, the code isn't coming up to tell me that the engine is knocking. It's because the sensor needs to be replaced. So, I replaced the sensor and reset the light. About a week later it came back on for the same thing. Fuck it, I'll let it blow!

Randy likes this.
  8. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Suffice to say, it's a flawed technology. It would be nice if they used an OBD II scan as an easy emissions test if available but with the number of reasons for a CEL to be on that have nothing to do with the safe and clean operation of the car, it's horse shit to make that a qualifier on if you can drive it on the road.

CrazyDean likes this.
  9. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Well when you can get two different sides to quit squabbling, maybe we'll see some progress. As for me, I have my vehicle inspected every 6 months or so and whatever is wrong with my vehicle that doesn't have to be fixed, I pretty much let go. If it doesn't affect how my vehicle behaves, fuck it. I'm driving it as is. My check engine light has been on since I've had the vehicle for nothing worth fixing.

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Cheap solution - cover the light with black electrical tape. :lol:

The check engine light has never done me any favours. O2 sensor stopped sensing. Cam position sensor stopped sensing. The sensor that senses the other sensors sensing stopped sensing. Nothing actually broken except the stupid thing that tells you if something is broken.